“Desperate Need for a Remodel” 3 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Laurel
Certificate of Excellence 2014
California
“Desperate Need for a Remodel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed for one night for business. The room was clean but I can't believe Marriott has not made any updates to this hotel. Even the lobby was old, the rooms were clean but the stains on the carpet in the halls and lobby are a little disheartening.

There is a reason why this hotel has rooms for such a cheap price, there's no way they could ask for more for such an outdated hotel. If the hotel ever gets its much needed remodel I would stay again but not a minute before.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bombay-GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you so much for being our guest, you business and feedback are highly appreciated.

We are scheduled for a full renovation beginning in the next few months. We shall get upgraded rooms, public spaces and a lobby too.

In the future it would be an honor to have you as our repeat guest to see the improvements we are making.

Bombay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This Fairfield Inn was convenient to a family gathering and we had points for a free night so we stayed here just one night....There was a soccer tournament nearby and so the hotel was filled with various girls of all ages. My sister and mother stayed on the first floor and said the noise from the kids in the hall kept them awake well into the a.m. hours. We were on an upper floor so were not bothered with the noise.
The main problem was with breakfast.. It was crowded and they ran out of some of the food choices... The 2 women worked diligently to keep up with replacing what they could but there were no more egg and sausage sandwiches when we got there as well as no fresh fruit such as bananas. The oatmeal was replentished but we had already eaten by then.
The room was very comfortable but they only provided 2 bath towels and 2 washcloths which were of a very cheap quality. The pillows on the other hand were quite fluffy and plump.. There is no mini fridge in the room. The elevator is noisy and old...We often stay at Hampton Inns and I would say that the Hampton Inns are a few notches above the Fairfields...

Room Tip: Upper floor is quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a candid review of our hotel. Your taking the time is very much appreciated.

As with any hotel that caters to a wide variety of travelers we try and make sure we are containing the noise levels especially from groups with small children. I am very sorry in this instance we failed your mother and sister. I want to let you know that I hear you loud and clear and will make sure we are let group members know that there are other guests in the hotel.

We indeed are an older hotel; but we are slated for a renovation in the coming months. Some needs that are going to be addressed is the size of the breakfast area, it is going to be expanded to make sure there is more than ample space for everyone. But in this instance, we should have anticipated the crowd levels much better and ordered all the necessary food items to meet the demand.

I am sorry that the Terry in the room was not enough to meet your needs and also not of good quality. I am in charge of making the orders for supplies and I will work with the vendor to replace these items.

We value your feedback and we are taking all the steps to improve our product. We have taken your comments to heart and are working on being both a convenient hotel and a quality hotel for all our guests.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just spent the weekend here with a large group of 8-9 year old girls for a soccer tournament. While there were plenty of places nearby to eat there was much else close by to do. The rooms were clean and the free breakfast was good. You even get to make your own waffles. There was some cosmetic issues with the room. The wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling off. That seemed to be a reoccurring issue as there were a few patches already on the wall. The AC units kept cutting off before getting to the desired temp. Since it was a cool weekend that really didn't matter. Overall this place was average and I got exactly what I paid for.

• Stayed October 2012
Let me begin by saying thank you so much for being our guest. Your patronage to our facility is highly appreciated. On behalf of the staff here we are pleased that you took the time and energy to write a review of your stay with us, your opinion and feedback are highly valued as we strive to be a home away from home for our guests.

We are an older hotel but we pride ourselves in being clean and well maintained hotel. I would like to apologize for the HVAC units not running as efficiently, there is no reason they should not work as expected and I shall make sure we are working to on fixing any units we find not working properly.

In closing, we are going to be undergoing a full renovation in the coming months that will makes brighter and better. In 2013 we look forward to hosting you and your soccer tournament in the new upgraded Fairfield Inn Laurel.

Thank you once again for your business and your candid review.

Bombay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed here in August 2012 for a family trip to the DC area. My first impression was good because the lobby was attractive and the staff seemed friendly and checked us in quickly. That impression changed a little bit once I actually got into the halls of the hotel. As soon as we walked away from the lobby I noticed the carpets looked drab, old, and dingy. I believe this may have been what was responsible for the musty smell that loomed around the hotel. The smell amplified as we went to our room. My wife actually called the front desk and had them switch our room and they gave us another one that still smelled but not quite as bad.

The rooms were pretty standard for a Fairfield Inn. We booked the double queen room for a family of 5 (two adults and 3 small children). The room was comfortable enough for one night's stay as the pillows were nice and fluffy. The beds were a little hard but that's actually comfortable to me. It might bother some guests. The linens smelled extrememly clean but my wife noticed a few small spots on them (looked like pencil or pen marks but not sure). I was kind of surprised that the bathroom only had two towels and two washclothes. It caught me off guard because the hotel knew we had a party of 5 and I've never been to a place that had double queen beds and only two people were staying. I would think there would be at least three of everything. We also noticed that a table was broken in our room. One of the legs broke on this table and someone had proped the leg up against the wall to keep the table standing.

The surrounding area didn't seem to bad. There were several places to eat nearby and the Greenbelt Metro/Park & Ride is about six miles away for anyone who wants to travel through D.C. Parking is $4.50 per day.

Overall, I think this hotel could just use a rennovtion. We chose this location because of the low pricetag ($109/night). In hindsight, I probably would have paid the extra money and gone to one of Marriot's Courtyard locations in D.C. instead.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bombay-GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear BFree211

Let me begin by thanking you for not only being our guest but for also taking the time to write a candid review of our hotel. The best way we can better the hotel is by listening to what our guests are telling us about their stays and to that end your feedback is very important.

That having been said, I am sorry that we did not leave you entirely with a positive impression of our hotel. I do agree we are an older property but we pride ourselves in being a clean facility. I hear you loud and clear on the smell that seems to linger in the hallways, I have tasked my housekeeping department to make sure we are constantly shampooing the hallways and keeping them clean and fresh. I am a believer in changing the things I know I can change and that is one item I am sure I can get resolved.

As I mentioned before, our aim is to be a really clean hotel, and the same applies to our towels and linens. We normally put more towels and washcloths in the rooms, this is a lapse on our end and we are working to make sure that our high occupancy rooms have enough amenities for our guests. I have also tasked the maintenance man to make sure the table in that room is replaced, not only is it a bad impression but a safety issue too.

We value your feedback and we are taking all the steps to improve our product. On that note we are slated for a full renovation in the coming months. It shall be a complete re-do of everything and we hope you shall stay with us again.

Once again thank you once again for your candid comments and your business.

Goffstown, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The most annoying feature of this hotel is the squeaky buzz that the elevator makes to announce each floor. It is nasty and grating. Otherwise, the hotel is a clean and comfortable place to stay--quite mid-range, with a few amenities.
Our room had two queen-sized beds, one narrow window, a nicely functioning air-conditioner with controls that allowed us to change it to our preference. You could also open the window, if you wanted to attempt fresh air from the parking lot. There was no mini-fridge. There was a small coffee maker on the bathroom sink-counter, with one packet to brew decaf and another to brew regular coffee. I made a pot of the decaf when we arrived. It didn't taste very good, but I am kind of fussy about coffee.
My main complaint with the room was that the bathroom vent was too small and there was no fan. Taking a shower really steamed it up in there. I did like that the shower nozzle was good for showering, though lacked one of those quick switches at the top to temporarily shut off and save water while you're putting conditioner in your hair. I liked the clean smooth tub, and that the tub-plug worked for taking a bath. Hotels are not always careful to make sure their plugs function.
The outdoor pool opened at 10 am on weekends, but not until 3pm on week days. After Labor Day, it was either going to close or have shorter hours.
There is a fried chicken and fish restaurant next door to the hotel. It might have been good, but it kind of smelled off. On the other side of the hotel is a large shopping plaza with a grocery store and perhaps a half-dozen chain restaurants. Free and ample parking. Less than a half-hour's drive to D.C., depending on traffic.
More details at http://unjam.blogspot.com/2012/08/fairfield-inn-laurel-md.html

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bombay-GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012

We are an older hotel and we work with our elevator company to make sure we eliminate any creaks and noises from the elevators. We also have a regular mandated state inspection to make sure that we are up to code.

Cleanliness is something that we the staff here value. Guests need to feel at home and a clean space conveys that message to all our guests. We unfortunately don’t have the mini fridges and microwaves in our rooms, we are slated for a renovation and these needs are going to be addressed. The bathroom vents shall also be taken care of to make sure we are up to date.

You do have a choice of where to stay when in Laurel and we are glad that you chose us. Thank you once again for your business and your review of our hotel.

Middletown, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

The rooms were clean and the price was reasonable with a great staff and a good location for the Laurel Regional Hospital. The breakfast has an excellent selection and the coffee is one of the best cups I have had at a hotel. The area is multipurpose so I would never suggest it for anything other than a business stay and I would never consider being out after dark. The down side is if you want to use the pool on a weekday you cannot use it until 3pm.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bombay-GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Eleanor-

Let me begin by saying thank you so much for being our guest. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel, your opinion goes a long way in helping us be the hotel that guests want to return too.

I am happy that our staff and facilities made you feel welcome and we gave you good value for you money.

County law dictates we have to have a life guard on duty every time the pool is open to the public. We shall work with the pool company to make sure we are accommodating our guests who want to use the pool before it opens.

Once again, thank you so much for your business and you candid review of you stay.

Boynton Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The location didn't seem very good but it was the only thing available. As with other Fairfield Inns the rooms were clean and beds are comfortable.

Breakfast is good however get there early as they tend to run out of certain items (I was there on Sunday morn).

Overall good hotel, good value

Room Tip: Get the queen size bed.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bombay-GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear guest-

Let me begin by saying thank you so much for being our guest. Your business is highly appreciated.

We are glad we gave you a room that was not only clean but comfortable as well.

I am sorry to hear that we run out of certain items during breakfast. I have shared your review with the kitchen staff to make sure this is not a reflection of our breakfast service.

Thank you for your review. Every critique goes a long way into making us the hotel that our guests want to return too.

Bombay

Been to Fairfield Inn Laurel? Share your experiences!