“Good molé, heavy food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Baltimore
“Good molé, heavy food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

My wife and I enjoy the food at the original location in Ellicott City, and they have brought their recipes to this strip mall establishment. Located just off Rt 29, parking can be tough during busy times, but there is plenty to be found in the business park behind it. There are a lot of ongoing specials to get people in the door: we were there on all-you-can-eat taco night, and it was also the 5th of the month so we could have availed ourselves of one of the "cinco de mayo" drink specials. (Actually, I thought we had but as I examine my receipt I see our margarita came up regular price.)The meal always starts with a bowl of complimentary tortilla chips, warm and served with a spicy red salsa. It is easy to fill up on those before your meal. They have many selections, but we always go through the menu and order the same thing every time. My wife gets the chicken molé because while the chicken is usually tender, she is a huge fan of their mildly spicy sauce. At their other location especially, sometimes the server will make sure you want the molé. Apparently a lot of people see the word "chocolate" in the description and are unprepared for an actual spicy sauce. I always order the Burro Cortes. Beef tips in a burrito, but served with a delectable red sauce that I enjoy immensely. While I really enjoy their entrees, I do find them a tad overpriced. We sat outdoors, getting a prime view of the parking lot, but it was nice on a cool spring evening.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Burtonsville, Maryland
“Good Mexican Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Went here for the first time for dinner during Cinco de Mayo. Even though there was a lot of people, we got a table fairly quickly. The chips and salsa they give you while you wait for your order is awesome. I got the Tacos al Pastor. Not bad. The wait seemed a little bit too long, but then again I can forgive them since it was a holiday. We had the Sopapillas for dessert. Yummy. The place is clean, and the decor is typical Mexican motif. Prices are comparable to other similar restaurants. Limited parking. This place is a safe bet if you want Mexican food.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, Maryland
“Good Food and Value for your Money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

When my wife gives me the choice of restaurants I choose La Palapa Too. It's my "Go To". I can always be sure that I'll have an enjoyable dining experience. It is in a strip mall and parking can be a hassle if you park yourself...they have alleviated this problem with FREE Valet Parking. There is outdoor dining available as well as a bar area and a general dining room. There are many varieties of Margarita's available but my favorite is the Cadillac....you can't go wrong with this one. There is entertainment on certain nights that adds to the experience. I could eat the freshly made chips and salsa for a meal if I didn't like the entree's so much. Never had a problem with the service or the food. Give the place a try.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Severn, Maryland
“Great Mexican Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

My husband and I went to La Palapa too tonight for the second time and enjoyed it just as well. The first time we ordered the food and took it home. The takeout version was just as good as if we had ate it in a restaurant. The only thing is you did not get the fresh hot tortilla chips they give to you when you first go to the table. We order the chicken taquitos for the appetizer, the chimichanga and quesodilla for entree and the churros and sopapilla for dessert. Everything was delicious and fresh. We felt like we were back in Cancun again. The decor is very nice and colorful and the staff was pleasant. It is a great family atmosphere with outdoor seating as well.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Laurel, MD
“My kind of Mexican Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Evidently this is the 2nd of 3 La Palapa restaurants in the Baltimore/Washiington Corridor. We have eaten at this one before a counple of times, but since it is not near where we normally travel have not been back in a couple years. It is the end unit of a strip mall. Once inside you loose that strip mall feeing.

They have a nice variety of Mexican dishes and drinks. We had Chili Verde and Frutas del Mar. Both were perfectly cooked and presented. The service was great.

We were there on a Friday night. It was crowded and a little noisey, but comfortable. They had a Mariache group whick really added to the atmosphere.

• Visited February 2012