“Best bed I've ever slept on, clean; but, internet connection is hit or miss.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Laurel
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Best bed I've ever slept on, clean; but, internet connection is hit or miss.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

The tempurpedic mattress at this hotel was awesome! However, wireless internet (WiFi), was flakey and no matter what hardwire connector the desk gave us to plug in the wall, we would frequently lose internet connectivity. Even when connected, access was not great, but we were still able to use our internet phone (magic jack) occassionally. Clean hotel, nice staff, but no microwave or refrigerators in the room. Still, after staying here two weeks, that mattress was so comfortable, I did not want to leave it behind!! Got a $50/night rate on Hotwire and it was a great value, especially in this area. No free breakfast.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

180 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

I liked this hotel. One thing I noticed right away was how clean it was.You can tell it was recently renovated. it was close to 95 and we were just staying overnight on our way somewhere else. You could hear the highway in the distance. This was not such a big deal because the air conditioner/heater ran so it masked the sound.One thing I liked about the climate control is that you set a temperature and it would cycle on and off. It did not run continuously. Also probably most people would love the Tempurpedic mattress. I am not a fan, but I have a screwy back problem, Other reviewers had written about a 'smell' . the room was stuffy when we walked in, but as soon as I cranked up the climate control it was just fine. There was no bad odor at all. Priority Club members (their loyalty program) get 50% off breakfast. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars for service was that the breakfast staff was not attentive. People walked into the cafe and did not know where to sit or what to do. Luckily we were not in a big rush. I mentioned it to the desk person on the way out. Overall, a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
MLPS/St.Paul, MN United States of America
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

Went on school trip through World Strides and stayed at this hotel. It was great! Nice pool, nice people, nice Tempur Pedic Beds.

• Stayed March 2009
Smithfield, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

We arrived early around 8:45am. We checked to see if we could check in early. The young man at the desk was very nice and check with housekeeping if the room was ready. The room was not. When we arrived later that evening we checked in and was assiged a room. There was a fan in the room to dry the carpet. Once I went to the front desk we were quickly assigned a new room. I called for more towels that evening and within 10 minutes they were in hand. The hotel has an Outback but we did not visit it. Rooms were clean. Staff was friendly. Location was great. Walmart 10 min away. Metro station 15 min away. Good value. If not for the fan in room it would have been above average. We were going to DC for the inaguration

• Liked — friendly staff, location
  • Disliked — noisey college kids in hall
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

we got this hotel thru Hotwire which serves as a priceline competitor. The hotel is located in the suburbs. Away from the noise and traffic of I 95 and other major highways. The lobby was very nicely decorated and clean. At check in the staff was very cordial. The only problem we encountered were seeing roaches in the vanity area. To be honest, we only saw 2, whioch we killed, but bottom line it was nasty. The last thing you think you're going to find, especially in a hotel is roaches. We were there for 2 nights and never saw any after that. the bed was very confortable, the room very spacious. Internet was free which was very nice. They had onsite rest which only served breakfast and was very overpriced. They have and outback steakhouse on the premises...

So, in a nutshell, this hotel deserves the three star hotwire asigned them and besides the two roaches we saw, we had no other problems...

Hope this review helps!

• Liked — Room was very spacious and isolated location of te property.
  • Disliked — we saw two roaches in the vanity area of our room.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

This is a perfectly acceptable Holiday Inn. The rooms are clean, the pool area is what you'd expect from a decent mid-priced hotel and the location is great if you are travelling to Baltimore or DC.

That being said, I don't know if I'd recommend it to friends since we had so many problems during our stay. We originally had a reservation for two double beds, which I uncharacteristically reconfirmed the week and the night before we arrived since there was such a big conference in the area. When we arrived on Friday night we were told that they were over-booked...but that we could have a week's worth of free breakfasts to make up for the fact that we'd all be sleeping in a King sized bed.

There were only three of us that night, so we headed up to the room. They sent up a 'double' sized roll-up cot (though it would take alot of imagination to come up with that size description) and we couldn't set it up because the room was too small.

I asked to be moved on Sunday once my husband joined us. I was told at first that this would be impossible, and that they had already solved 'our problem' by dropping our room rate to $79 a night.

I really didn't mind getting bumped for two nights, but it really bugs me that the lower room rate was touted as a priviledge. The small room we were in was worth $79/night -- so how is this price a favor to us? It also makes me a bit crazy when hotels claim to be so sold out that any movement is impossible. Sell-out status not withstanding, people are checking in and out all the time and there is a possibility of moving every single morning. Anyway, I insisted, they moved us (for a lower-than-booked but higher-than-$79 room rate) and I appreciate the fact that it happened. I certainly wasn't getting $79 worth of sleep a night with two sets of little boy feet in my face.

Still...our room keys didn't work one night, the hair dryer stopped working at an inopportune time...all these things were repaired straight away by friendly staff and weren't a big deal by themselves, but it all added up to a less than sublime stay for us.

P.S: The on-site Outback provides a very reasonably priced room service. There is also a Quaker farmer's market just down the main road (to the left) which has some delicious bread & produce if you get the urge to hop off the restaurant circuit for the night.

• Liked — Location and the fact that it was clean
  • Disliked — That it couldn't honor our reservation
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North of England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

The Holiday Inn group hotels can be variable but this one is excellent. It has recently been refurbished to a high standard - spacious rooms, well decorated. The swimming pool is indoor near to the breakfast area and there is a free internet room for guests to use on a limited basis.
We encountered a problem whilst we were there and the hotel took immediate action to rectify the situation to ensure that our stay was comfortable. This hotel could be used as a base for visiting Washington or Annapolis

• Liked — The standard of service and decor - and it is next door to the Outback Restaurant
  • Disliked — IYou would stuck without a car
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W? Share your experiences!