“Nice place.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Laurel
Montgomery County, MD.
“Nice place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed with some friends for a high school reunion. Great place, great location, nice and clean. There is an Outback restaurant you can get to through the hotel, quick access to 95. Although this hotel is close to my own home and I could've stayed there that night I chose to stay here it's very nice and I plan on going back soon. Holiday Inns are always my favorite place and this is one of the best!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Rooms in this hotel are very well presented and cleaned to a high standard. There was a good range available for breakfast. The hotel has a pool situated on the bottom floor which is a nice addition. My stay here could have been much better if it wasn't for the rude lady working on reception when i arrived. On arrival i gave her my booking number and she confirmed the room booking. She told me that it was room only even though i had paid extra for breakfast when booking. I quickly settled this by showing her a copy of my booking. She then agreed and gave me tokens for breakfast with no apology.
Hotel is situated in good proximity of Washington DC but staffing issues need fixed immediately.

Stayed July 2014
Dorothy P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding you encountered with a member of my team. I would like to address this with the staff member involved and would appreciate your contacting me personally so that I can look into what transpired and caused the misunderstanding. We take pride in the service we deliver and unfortunately we did not meet your expectations. I also want to thank you for the nice things you wrote about and hope that this one encounter will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.
Dorothy Paez
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Was in town for a party and this hotel was less than 10 minutes from our destination. The room was spacious, clean and the bed comfortable. The front desk staff was professional and congenial. Outback Steakhouse is accessible through the hotel, which was nice when we arrived and wanted to unwind from the traffic ridden drive. I would definitely stay here again if I needed a hotel for the weekend. My only complaint was the shower didn't really have a shelf to put some of my shower toiletries on, but otherwise, it was suitable for our needs.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dorothy P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thanks for the great review! We are delighted you enjoyed the hotel during your stay and hope to see you again at the Holiday Inn Laurel West the next time your travels bring you to our area.
Dorothy Paez
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel can be very busy and noisy. I have been coming here for years for an annual event and have found that the 5th floor rooms are so much quieter than the lower levels since the pool and common area are in an atrium in the center of the hotel. The air conditioner worked well but was really noisy and woke us up when it cycled on. The hotel is very convenient to 95. However, there is really nothing around -- not even a McDonalds or Starbucks. There is an Outback restaurant in the hotel which gets outrageously crowded since it it basically the only game in town unless you want to drive a ways. It can take hours to get a table on a weeknight or even late at night.

This year I got a room rate with breakfast since it is hard to get a quick bite. Overall it was about $10/day more for the breakfast and there were 2 of us in the room. It is a really weird breakfast-- a small step up from the free breakfasts you get at Hampton Inn and a step down from a real breakfast buffet. There is a tray of scrambled eggs, some limp breakfast meat, french toast, bad pastries. On the plus side, there is fresh fruit and yogurt. The servers are all over you even though it is a buffet. I really felt like all they wanted were tips. DO NOT pay the full walk-in price for breakfast. It is really not worth it.

People congregate in the atrium in the evenings. There really needs to be a garbage can bigger than a waste paper basket in that area for guests to dispose of trash.

Overall the cost of this hotel has gone up about 40% over the past several years without any real improvements. I stay here because it is less than 5 minutes to my destination. If this location is not super convenient, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: 5th floor and up are quiet. Lower floors get a lot of noise from the pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dorothy P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us. I will be sure to share your comments with our team and we will make every effort to improve in the areas you were not totally please with during your visit. We take all reviews seriously and appreciate that you took time out of your busy schedule to be thorough and thoughtful. We hope you will return again and stay with us during your next visit to Laurel and the surrounding areas.
DPaez,
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

As you can see, this is my first review. I feel compelled because of a recent run of just bad experiences with hotel stays. I think that people need to be informed, as I know these reviews have helped me.

This is the second Holiday Inn in this area of Maryland I have tried, and both really fail miserably. First let me say the failures are structural and aesthetic only. The staff at both this location and the location in Greenbelt are extremely friendly and willing to help. My issue really is with the corporate decision makers of the Holiday Inn brand. I arrived at my hotel to a very nice Front Desk agent who was very quick and efficient, pleasant, informative and friendly. That is where my likes of this place end. The one other thing this place has going for it is that there is an Outback next door. Not that I am a major fan, but at least it is something recognizable. There is a lot of local infrastructure construction in progress, so getting here after a long flight at 10pm, in absolute darkness; was not easy. It is hard to tell where the road begins and the forest ends. Having said that, realize that I am getting the feeling that Holiday Inn as a brand stopped updating their hotels long ago. Once I left the front desk to the elevators I was pointed too, I found a rather dingy lobby area that needed painting and real color scheme change. It looked dingy. When I got to my floor, the door opened to an OLD carpet pattern that, while clean; must have been refurbished or some really bad stock carpet that was in a warehouse from the 1980's. It looked dark and just OLD. My door had all kinds of scratches that resembled bullet ricochet's (i'm just sayin). When I got into my room it was ice cold and it had that same puke colored carpet. While the room was very clean; it just looked thrown together and it was anything but inviting. I was too tired to leave, but honestly if I had the energy; I would have just gone to another hotel. The TV worked intermittently. The shower was very slow to drain (same as the one in Greenbelt); so I ended up standing in a puddle to my calves. That's just wrong and nasty. I will say their internet connection (wi-f) was absolutely fine and worked without a hitch. If you are tired and just need a place to crash, then this is a place; The decor is just foul. I certainly have no problems staying anywhere else, and I do stay at locations on the other end of the spectrum, such as the Four Seasons (If I feel the occasion calls for it; such as a vacation, special time with someone or when I just feel like splurging. I don't need to have the very best every time I go somewhere; but I really think that these hotel chains that charge the lower prices need to start ponying up and treating their customers like they matter. I DO NOT blame the staff. I blame the head honchos who seem to be asleep a the job when it comes to upgrades. For those who cannot afford to stay at ritzier places; they absolutely equally deserve to have a wonderful stay and not treated like third class citizen's because they have a different bank roll. I have also seen a few Holiday Inn's that exemplify this..as I was at one in Toledo, Ohio of all places about four years ago. The place was immaculate, completely updated and tastefully done. All of their hotels should be like that, at the same price. Many hotels gouge their customers because of their name. I think that Holiday Inn corporate needs to start putting pride back in their hotels by making significant upgrades.

Let's go Holiday Inn... step it out and start spending some of the money you are earning from your customers. Your hotels should not look this outdated in 2014.

Room Tip: If you just need a place to crash... this is like your old friend's stepfathers garage. Otherw...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Spenser51,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the decor prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

BASEBALL FAMILIES…BE FOREWARNED!!!

Several complaints about this hotel.

1. The rooms are a small size, have no refrigerators and are not very up to date or clean (stains on the carpets, wallpaper peeling from the walls), TV freezes and has to be turned on and off, and we had complaints from several families about their doors not shutting completely or in one case the door knob literally kept falling off.
2. The website says they have a steak house restaurant but there is NO restaurant, instead the hotel is connected to the “Outback” restaurant and there are little to no other options to eat at the location so it is very expensive to eat at the “Outback” every night and the hotel doesn’t even give you ONE coupon for a discount at the Outback, not even a free stinking bloomin onion (Seriously). The hotels breakfast buffet was over 13.00+ dollars per person, no discounts for the baseball teams, the parents, etc. and they charged a surcharge for the continental breakfast (Ridiculous). The waitresses seem annoyed by the large groups of families and they young baseball players, and they seemed very bothered about splitting up checks when the parents wanted to sit at one table and the boys sat together at a separate table…you would of thought it was the most complicated thing the waitresses were ever asked to do
3. There is no location at the hotel that all the parents could really go and relax together. The only place to go for a beer is the Outback’s bar and that was very expensive and the bartenders at the outback were slow, rude and obviously not interested in large groups of families. The managers and security people at the hotel were overly paranoid about the families sitting in the open area at the pool, but frankly it was the only place the families could go. This area closed at 10PM so after ten we were constantly being watched and hovered over by the managers and security people. The last night we were there the manager literally came up to us at 10PM and told us we were making too much noise and that someone from the 2nd floor complained…which was so funny because the majority of our own baseball team was on the 2nd floor right above us so we knew no one complained.
4. As for the Pool at the hotel, that’s a joke, it’s only open from 5-10 and because it closed so early the boys could never even get in it.

Again, this is not an inviting hotel and if you are with a large baseball organization and have many families that need a place to go, our team would strongly suggest you DON’T GO HERE.

Very unwelcoming!

One other note, Tubby’s Grill and Seibel’s Restaurant were great for the boys for breakfast.

Tubby's Grill
5701 Sandy Spring Rd
Laurel, MD 20707

Seibel's Restaurant
15540 Old Columbia Pike
Burtonsville, MD 20866

Room Tip: No Refrigerators, rooms not clearn
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear hbg123,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Convenient to Interstate 95 makes it a good choice. Front desk clerk handled everything perfectly thanking me for being a gold card member and offering a choice of a few items for being a gold card member.

The rooms are very clean but worn. Hot water and water pressure very plentiful. Flat screen TV and comfortable beds were a plus.

On the down side the AC unit cannot be programmed to stay on and was going on and off all night.
Also would have been nice to have a small refrigerator and a microwave.

I wasn't able to enjoy the free breakfast due to time issues.

Friendly staff . Will stay here again if in the direction.

Outback Steakhouse next door.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dorothy P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
On behalf of the HI Laurel West team I would like to thank you for taking time to write about your recent stay with us. I will be certain to share your comments with the staff. I apologize that the air conditioning unit was not operating properly and have asked our chief engineer to follow up and repair it if it is not working. We hope to see you on your next trip to Laurel.
D. Paez

Been to Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area? Share your experiences!