“No Group Bookings - Can't handle it!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Laurel
Westfield, New Jersey
“No Group Bookings - Can't handle it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Now when reading this review, please understand that we stayed here for a youth hockey tournament. The reason for such a poor review is that they were perfectly willing to allow our club to rent 80% of their rooms three months prior; however, were unable to handle or service our club. The idea of having a hotel 3 minutes from a skating facility which host dozens of tournaments a season and not having the staff, the knowledge or facilities to handle such a group is just poor business. The hotel called the police on parents and children who were congregating by the indoor pool/atrium area while the kids played knee hockey. The hotel was also connected to an Outback Steakhouse which was fantastic but closed precisely at 11:00 pm - leaving the parents with no other choice but to go back to the hotel. Please understand that I can not comment about staying here by your self and with your family; however, if you plan on choosing this hotel for any hockey tournaments, group functions, etc - go elsewhere!

Also, the group booking included breakfast. My son and I arrived to the lobby to find no clean plates, dirty tables everywhere, and staff unsure where to go. Again, my point is that the hotel knew that they were 80% by a hockey club, with the other 20% being a Baptist Church group (actually felt bad for them) yet they were unprepared to serve breakfast to a large group.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the 3rd floor and above so that you are not near the pool/atrium area.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dorothy P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
We appreciate your feedback in regards to your recent group booking. One of the many reasons youth sports groups book the hotel is because of our indoor pool. Unfortunately due to county restrictions we are held to certain laws regarding occupancy in our pool areas as well as our public meeting space. While we want all groups staying in our hotel to enjoy themselves we ask that parents accompany their children when visiting the pool or playing in the atrium to ensure not only their safety but to show respect for other guests who are staying in the hotel. Again, we do appreciate your feedback and thank you for staying with us during your hockey tournament.
DPaez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Not my choice to stay here as my reservations were made from work, but I was pleasantly surprised in my 5 nights here. The rooms are pretty standard Holiday Inn and although a little worn, they were clean. Beds are pretty soft and like a lot of mid chain places, I wish they'd bring back big pillows.

When I got there, it looked like a ton of kids were going to end up making it tough to sleep but the AC was perfect to drown out any noise, and I slept well there.

Location is probably 20 minute/$45 cab ride from BWI and it's probably a 15 minute ride to Arundel Mills and Maryland Live casino, so it's pretty much in the middle of B'more and DC. Easy access off 95.

Specifically, I want to recognize the service. One thing...as we did some work/conferencing there, on a day when we had no work to do and we had a down day, the staff still made sandwiches and brownies and sodas available to us. Something they didn't have to do...but they did. Specifically, that's worth recognizing and it speaks to their dedication to service. Kudos.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Gyrod H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to let others know you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Laurel West. I will make sure to share your post with the team. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Hastings, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this location 2 times now. The hotel itself is a nice hotel and the employees are very friendly and accommodating.

There are 2 problems with the hotel.
1. Location. There is no affordable way to get to the metro to get into DC.
2. Water quality is absolutely terrible. All the water smells like a dirty fish tank and tastes just as bad. I did not feel clean after showering because if this. Very stagnant smelling. This is far more troubling than the location. Fix the water problem and this review is completely different.

• Stayed January 2014
Gyrod H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for posting about your stay. We are looking into the issue regarding the comments about the water quality. We have had no other guests mention this and to date we have been unable to identify what may have caused the odor in the water during your stay.
We appreciate your kind remarks regarding our service and I have shared your comments with our team.
Again, thank you for posting on Trip Advisor and we do hope to see you again soon.
Salisbury, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

First of all everyone we've met at the front desk has been very welcoming, and especially Natacha! They actually acknowledge guests being an IHG Platinum, and upgrade your room if one is available, and give one breakfast vouchers as well! It's quite an interesting property, they have some rooms on the ground floor that have 2 doors, 1 opening directly outside, and 1 inside. Too bad none of them have King beds, it would be really handy not to have to lug everything too far when you have a lot of luggage.

Oh the exciting part? The first time We ever stayed there, we were startled awake at an ungodly hour by a loud screaming and what sounded like bodies being thrown against the wall! Exciting no? Since I was just waking up, first I thought "What the hey?" Followed by jumping out of bed, running around in your underwear thinking "Fire! (Where's my pants?) Is there a fire? (Should I just run out without pants)" Then more shouting and banging is heard coming from the other room. So like every normal person I ignore what could be fire outside my door and focus on listening and making sense of the screaming next door.

Suddenly it's making sense... no fire... just some guy having a bad trip. More yelling, hitting the wall, and screaming to someone who wasn't there. Okay as exciting as this is, time to call the front desk.
Me: "Uhhm, I think someone next door either just won the lottery or they are having a stroke. Either way you need to send someone up."
Natacha: "I'm so sorry. I'll take care of it."

But until Natacha sends security up no harm eavesdropping some more. I hear his phone ringing and then very loud cussing at who ever's on the other end of the line -Natacha I presume. Bad move. 30 seconds later Police(!) actual Police are knocking on his door. (Oh yeah, for some reason tons of cop cars are parked in the lot every time we've been here. Why? Don't know.)

Cops: Knock knock. "Open Up!"
Guy: "Who's there?" "Theresa?!?"
Cops: "No Theresa here. Open up."
Guy: "Who is it? Go away!"
Cops: "it's the cops. Open up."
Guy: "Wait, let me get dressed! (pacing, pacing) Go away! (pace some more)"
Cops: (Banging on door) "Sir, open up!"
Guy: "Let me put some clothes on." (flushing something)
Cops: "He's flushing something. Let's get in there." (More banging.) "Open up! We're gonna bust this door down!"
Other Cop: "What do you think? PCP?"
Other Cop: "Yup." "OPEN UP! You interrupted my breakfast! Open Up!"
Guy: "Theresa? Is that You?"
Cops: Starts breaking the door down. "No Theresa here!!! Open Up!"
My husband: "Get away from there (me crouched down listening to the door between our rooms) YOU ARE GONNA GET SHOT!"
Me: "Shhhhh."
Guy: "Who is it?"
Cops: "Housekeeping. I have extra towels for youuuu!"
Guy: "No! Who is it?"
Cops: "Room service."
Guy: "Room service?"
Cops: "Yes, open up. I have wonton soup!"
Guy: "Wonton soup? (thinking it over) You DO NOT!"
Cops: "Yes I do."
Guy: "No you don't!"

This goes on for awhile. Long story short, cops finally opened door, wrestled him to the ground, cuffs him, EMT checks him over, cops takes him away. We go down to breakfast. The end.

Room Tip: King Beds are on 5th floor or higher. Some rooms on the ground floor have 2 doors, 1 inside and 1 o...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Gyrod H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I am sorry that the guest in the next room interrupted what should have been a quite morning. I truly appreciate your kind comments about the staff and will be sure to give a shout out to Natacha for taking great care of you. On behalf of the HI Laurel team, I hope to see you again when your travels bring you to the Laurel area.
DPAEZ
West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We were assigned this hotel thru our tournament for the second year in a row. Both times were perfect for what we needed.
PROS: very clean.The staff was very accommodating and friendly. They have a two story atrium with a pool in the center. The staff has tables and chars set up for the parents and players to hang at and eat. They allow knee hockey in that area and the different teams get to interact and play with each other in this huge common area. The hotel has an Outback restaurant attached to it and the hotel serves breakfast in the morning.
CONS: The hotel usually has breakfast included with your stay, but not when you are with a tournament. The cost of breakfast is $5 for children under 12 and $10 for adults....not too bad for buffet. The beds are memory foam and not that great if you have a bad back, but do-able for a night or two. Atrium is very noisy as the sound carries when on the first 2 floors.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor or higher, the atrium on the first two floors really carries the sou...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hockey Tournaments are one of our many specialties....and thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay with us. We try to make the experience fun for everyone and I am happy to know that we did for the members of your group. Next time a tournament is in the area I sincerely hope your team will choose to stay at the Holiday Inn Laurel West once again.
DPAEZ
Smithfield, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

This a good value with pleasant and helpful staff. The hotel is connected to an Outback Steakhouse restaurant and bar right off the lobby as if it is the hotel's restaurant. The location is convently on I95 just between Washington and Baltimore.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Gyrod H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Good afternoon Jethehokie, thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay here with us at the Holiday Inn Laurel Washington DC hotel. We know that you have many choices when it comes to hotels in our area - and we sincerely appreicate you choosing to stay with us. We are also very pleased that you enjoyed your stay!! I will be sure to share your comments with our entire staff, the best motivation comes from our guests!!

Thank you again, and we do hope to see you here the next time your travels bring you to the Laurel/Washington DC area.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stopped here on our way to Washington DC. The room was big and nice. The bathroom was clean and good. The good thing is it is not far from DC. It is better than your normal 2 star chain hotels. We had a sound sleep which was what we needed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gyrod H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Good afternoon Luckyady, thank you so much for choosing to stay with us, as well as sharing your experience regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Laurel Washington DC. I make it a point to review all guest comments and responses in order to keep our staff always trying to improve our service and our property. I want to thank you for the great review you gave our hotel - your response is the type of experience we want every guest to have!!

We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and have a wonderful day!!

Been to Holiday Inn Laurel West - Washington DC Area? Share your experiences!