“Not careful with details...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Laurel
Petersburg PA
“Not careful with details...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I have stayed a several Holiday Inns and have had no real complaints. However, although the room and building was fine, there were some things that they should have done a better job with.
I was getting ready to shower and discovered there was no shampoo. Luckily, I had some in my makeup bag. However, my companion in another room had no shampoo or soap! He called down and was told someone would bring some. No one ever came. I guess it is the duty of the customer to check these things out before you really need them but honestly, it should not be hard to have a check-off list for the maids to make sure all is right.
The Fitness room was very mediocre. Not what I would expect for a Holiday Inn. Dirty with not much equipment.
I attended a conference there and during a bathroom break was dismayed to see paper towels all over the floor as the bin had not been emptied.
I had decided based on other reviews not to eat here.
I did get good help when I called about WIFI not showing up. I was directed to choose another server.
Room was dark which I like. AC worked which was good because it was stuffy and hot when I walked in. However, it was VERY loud!

Room Tip: Fifth floor was fine
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
John_DePiro_15101, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I have forwarded your comments to our Executive Housekeeper regarding not having the proper expendable/bathroom supplies. Our lobby restrooms are checked several times throughout the day. We will take a closer look at our service times. Our gym is cleaned throughout the day as well. Most of our cardio equipment is no more than three years old. I am sorry about the challenges you experienced during your visit. Theses type of issues are not customary. Please do not hesitate to contact my office directly (through our switchboard) at any time. Thanks again for your feedback. We appreciate your business.

John De Piro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Binghamton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Convenient location between Washington and Baltimore. Fine Hotel with many amenities. The Gym room was refreshing and the pool was unique. The pool is located indoors in a courtyard setting. You can see your family swimming from some interior rooms around and above the pool.
Our room was spacious, clean and bed was very comfortable. Breakfast selection was good and tasty. For dinner the Outback Restaurant is connected to the hotel. WiFi worked well, Staff was friendly and attentive. Would recommend and will visit again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Laurel-West. I was elated when I read your review. As a team we look forward to earning your business again and again in the future. Thanks again.

Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was in transit and got to spend only a day here, but the hotel is very impressive. Everything is taken care of, from free wifi to conveniently located ice dispensers, a nice plush and spacious room which came with an LCD TV.

I was in room 501 which is located above the main entrance. Did not have much of a view but did not expect anything for a night's visit.

The hotel staff is courteous and efficient. The lobby area is small but well maintained and beautiful. Did not try the restaurant or the adjoining stakehouse.

The bathrooms are very clean and well stocked with all the toiletries. Although the motorized shower-head was a it noisy and we did spot an insect of some kind in the bathroom the next morning.

Room Tip: I think all rooms face some kind of parking lot, so doesn't make much difference
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
John_DePiro_15101, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for your very kind comments. We do offer free Wi-Fi and free parking. All of our rooms have flat panel LCD TV’s. It was nice to hear that you felt that the lobby was beautiful and that our staff was efficient. I have passed along your comments regarding the shower to our Chief Engineer. Thank you for your business. We look forward to your return.
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Reviewing tends to be pointless because by and large you get what you pay for. The Holiday Inn Laurel West was rated No 2 in Tripadvisor for Laurel when I booked. I was in Laurel in order to visit friends. What to say? The room was large and the price relatively little. The complimentary breakfast was inedible unless you stuck to toast and cereal. The hotel was worn in parts though the room was largely clean. Parking was free and extensive. There was a nice Outback Steakhouse Restaurant adjoining. It was all OK for the price but hard to be enthusiastic.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate your candid comments. Our rooms are relatively large. We are connected to an Outback Steakhouse for the convenience of our guests and we do offer free parking. Thank you for mentioning that your room was clean. Our last renovation was completed in 2009. I was sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your breakfast. I have passed along your comments to our Chef. We appreciate your business and hope to have you back as your home away from home.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at the this hotel as part of a group participating in a soccer tournament in Columbia, MD. My first impression was that the entry way was unusual. The main door was a wide automatic entry door. The second entry door was a narrow single door off to the side which needed to be opened manually. This was inconvenient especially when carrying a lot of luggage/equipment into the hotel.
Check-in was smooth and without issue. Our room was clean and had temporpedic mattresses. However, the sink had very little counter space. The separate bathroom and shower area was clean and had plenty of towels. The A/C was located at the back of the room and was restricted due to the partial walls set up in the back of the room between the sink and living areas. In addition, the curtains over the A/C unit were too long. As a result, they filled with air when closed, further restricting the flow of air in the room. The breakfast buffet was adequate and the service was good.
I have a serious complaint regarding the Staff at the front desk and how they essentially LIED to me about the operation of the indoor pool. Our sons' wanted to use the pool early Saturday afternoon after a hard fought soccer game. In fact, the availability of an indoor pool was one of the reasons we chose this hotel!!! A woman at the front desk told the boys, and myself soon thereafter, that they have been having problems with the pump all weekend and that the pool was closed since the heater was not working. First off, I checked the water before talking with the front desk and noted that it was warm. In addition, I spoke briefly with the life guard the night before and no problems were noted. The woman also told me that it was unavailable for the rest of the day. Around 4:30 pm on Saturday afternoon, a funny thing happened!! I noticed the lifeguard entering the pool area. I asked the lifeguard about the pool operations and whether they were having any problems with the pool. He explained that the pool would be open from 5 to 10 pm on Saturday and that they were not having any problems with the pool! Soon thereafter, the lifeguard assumed his post at the side of the pool as he did the night before when I first spoke to him! I hate being LIED to!!!!! I do not know who the woman was at the front desk, but she out and out LIED about the pool operations to me and to the boys!!
I do not appreciate this kind of treatment at all! I try to be fair with people. However, after being lied to I am livid.
Holiday Inn, you should know better!!!

Room Tip: The Front Desk Staff Lied about the availability of the indoor pool
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
John_DePiro_15101, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to recount the details of your recent stay. It was nice to read that your check-in experience was smooth. It was also refreshing to read that you enjoyed the bed and felt that your room was clean. Our pool heater did breakdown during the Hurricane Sandy Storm. We are not certain if the unit experienced a power flicker or if it was merely coincidental that the heater went out simultaneously. Unfortunately, the unit had to be ordered and was delivered from out-of-state. When the unit arrived it did not contain all of the necessary parts needed for our Maintenance team to successfully hook it up. I apologize for the misunderstanding and miscommunication. Safety and Security are priority number one. We did finally get the unit up and it is back to capacity. I apologize for this inconvenience. If your travels take you back to the Laurel, MD area, we hope that you will consider giving us a second chance.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The hotel has been renovated which is nice. The only problem I had was that I could not access the internet wireless from my hotel room. I had to go into the hallway near the elevators to pick up a signal. The room was nice, beds comfortable and staff was nice. Breakfast was fine, but it was missing the usual Holiday Inn standard menu items that I'm used to seeing when I stay at a Holiday Inn. Regardless it was fine for my purposes in Maryland and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room that can access the wireless if that is important to you. I was on the 4th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience. The hotel has been renovated and we are glad that you took notice. We really appreciate that you found our staff to be nice and that you enjoyed the hotel’s accommodations and appointments. I was sorry to hear that you had an issue with the Wi-Fi. I have forwarded your concerns to our IT representative. We have added some healthy items to our breakfast buffet in addition to the Holiday Inn standards. We now have a fruit and parfait bar to go with our already extensive buffet selection. Thank you for your business. We look forward to your return.

Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The review below is accurate. I was not put on the business floor because I used a third party service to book my room. While the staff was nice, the hotel is not. The room I stayed in was not a 3 star room but worn down, unclean, and simply below average. Won't return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
John_DePiro_15101, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was very gratifying to hear that you found our staff to be nice. Our hotel was renovated between the fall of 2008 and the winter of 2009. Our Housekeeping team takes great pride in the upkeep of the building. I will share your comments with our entire team. We appreciate your business and hope that you will consider returning to our property in the future.

John De Piro

Been to Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W? Share your experiences!