“Disappointing stay...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Laurel
Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointing stay...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was far from being the first time I stayed at this property but I was sheltered if you will because I only stayed on the business floor. Well this last time I was not as fortunate and had an opportunity to see the "rest of the hotel" and it wasn't pretty. As expected older properties have their problems but my main problem was how low rent and unclean it was. I was moved twice because the bathrooms were not cleaned properly. From urine on the bottom of the toilets to dirty tubs. As a business traveller details and cleanliness are paramount. Once I notice a problem my eyes are fixed for others. There were smudges and stains on virtually everything from the phone to the bed cover. Then there were the constant smokers. If there is truly a fine for smoking they should have made a mint the week I was there because there were smokers on both floors I experienced. Things that simply were not experienced by me when I stayed on the business floor. My strong suggestion to anyone, business floor or forgo this property. I certainly will in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
John_DePiro_15101, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was also disappointed when I read about your experience. I can assure you that the challenges you encountered with cleanliness are not typical here at the Holiday Inn, Laurel West. I have forwarded your comments to our Executive Housekeeper. You have my sincerest apologies. If your travels bring you back to the our area, please consider giving us another chance as your home away from home.

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The service at this hotel is OUTSTANDING. I have been here during the Sandy storms and the staff have been very friendly, making sure the guests are comfortable, helping us find food when restaurants were closed in the storm, and just providing first class service.

The hotel itself is very comfortable and clean. The rooms are spacious, have a good work space and comfortable beds. Also, there are good cable channels, which was nice since we've been stuck in our rooms the last few days.

I've been told that that gym will be going under renovations, but currently there are 2 treadmills, a recumbent bike, a stepper, 1 pulley machine and a few free weights. Hopefully when they renovate, they will include at least an adjustable bench, a few more free weights and maybe another universal machine. It wasn't bad and allowed me to at least get a workout in. The staff was so kind, they even came in to give me cold water!

My room came with the buffet breakfast, which was ok. For this type of hotel, I think they did a good job. It was basic with breads, cereal, some fruit and some warm starch/meat selections.

I would definitely recommend this hotel because you get a clean, comfortable room, with excellent service. Ali Nural especially stood out for exemplary service and should be commended.

Room Tip: I would request a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
John_DePiro_15101, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for your recent post. Our goal is always to provide first class service and based on your review we succeeded. We are in the process of making some improvements to our gym. We currently offer two treadmills, an elliptical machine, stationary bike, universal weight machine and a full set of dumbbells. Our F&B Manager, Ali will certainly appreciate your positive praise. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back and earning your business for years to come.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

There are so many details in planning a successful conference. The hotel management including the staff at the Holiday Inn West Laurel exceeded our expectations. They provided clear explanations of the contract and final bills. They responded quickly to any changes or additions to the contract in a timely manner. The hotel rooms, lobby, restrooms, dining area were always clean. The staff were friendly and courteous at all times. Being the conference coordinator, I appreciated the fact that the front desk staff and office manager remembered by name and also greeted by using my name. I will give Holiday Inn Laurel excellent rating

Room Tip: Nearby restaurants in the area (in walking distance)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
John_DePiro_15101, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for having your conference at the Holiday Inn Laurel West. We appreciate that you felt that our staff met or exceeded your expectations and that the facility was clean. Our team’s primary focus is guest interaction and getting to know all of our customers by name. Customer interaction is a prelude to our ultimate goal of 100% satisfaction. We enjoyed hosting your event and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future as your conference hotel.

Merrimack, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I've stayed here a total of 16 nights this year and due to check in again on Oct.22 for the week on business. The staff is courteous and very attentive to your needs. Housekeeping is very efficient and the room is always cleaned to my satisfaction.

My only complaint and I believe it's getting worse is the wifi. During my September visit I was often getting 6 to 9 mbps which is terrible. I tried to participate in a web meeting and could not do so. Couldn't even download a simple file. The upcoming visit may be my last.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
John_DePiro_15101, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for your repeat business and very kind comments. It was nice to hear that our staff has been courteous and helpful and that your accommodations at the Holiday Inn, Laurel West have always been clean to your satisfaction. I have contacted our internet provider who reset our Wi-Fi system. We will continue to monitor the Wi-Fi system to ascertain that this is not an issue going forward. We are dedicated to restoring your full confidence in our property. Thank you again for your long-standing business. We look forward to fulfilling your expectations.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Poor Holiday Inn has such a stigma - "My idea of roughing it is staying in a Holiday Inn" - so I was pleasantly surprised with this modern and comfortable hotel. The mattresses are super comfortable. No complaints about the rooms or amenities. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
John_DePiro_15101, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn, Laurel West. We appreciate your candid comments and are elated that your perception as changed. Our hotel has been updated over the last three years. It was nice to read that you found the mattress to be super comfortable. We receive many favorable comments about our beds. We hope to see you back in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is a recently renovated property with well appointed rooms and a friendly staff. I chose it for its location, but was pleasantly surprised by the nice room, great bed and clean design. The WiFi was good.

There's an Outback Steakhouse next door

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor and it was quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
John_DePiro_15101, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for the kind review. We appreciate the fact that you felt the staff was friendly and that the hotel was well appointed. Having an Outback Steakhouse attached to the hotel is definitely a plus. Thank you for your business. We look forward to your return.

McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Overall, my convention's experience at this hotel was mediocre. Lots of people had problems and even the really simple stuff like keeping the water pitchers full seemed to be an issue. However, Richard the night security guard always seemed to be on hand and trying to help. Great employee

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
John_DePiro_15101, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience. Richard is key point-of-contact and represents our overnight shift. Richard will greatly appreciate your positive recognition. I was sorry to hear that your convention could have went better. Please feel free to call my office at your earliest convenience. You can also email me at john.depiro@holidayinnlaurel.com. Thank you for your business, I hope we have an opportunity to speak in the near future.

John De Piro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laurel
Quiet, Budget...
Holiday Inn Express Laurel
Free internet...
Fairfield Inn Laurel
Fairfield Inn Laurel
#2 of 15 in Laurel
4.0 of 5 stars 84 reviews
Free Breakfast...
Hampton Inn Laurel (Fort Meade Area)
Free Breakfast...
#8 of 15 in Laurel
3.5 of 5 stars 59 reviews
Wheelchair acce...
Red Roof Inn Washington, DC - Laurel

Been to Holiday Inn Laurel West-I-95/RT 198W? Share your experiences!