“Good Choice When On A Budget” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Laurel
Reno, Nevada
“Good Choice When On A Budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

When visiting the Washington DC area, I usually stay in the area of College Park, MD. This time, I was staying longer with the same budget and chose to stay the Sleep Inn & Suites in Laurel, MD. It is located only about 12 miles farther out than where I usually stay. While my drive in the first day took longer than expected, the next morning I left 15 minutes earlier and that cut my driving time from the day before in half. No big deal getting down to College Park.

My room was on the 3rd floor facing north. Even though it was almost next to the elevator, it was very quiet. I was never bothered by the noise of people coming and going. The room was very clean with no strong cleaning odors. The bed was very comfortable and that allowed me a good night's sleep each night. The bathroom had a walk-in shower with a sliding glass door. I really liked that over the usual bath tub with a shower curtain. Actually, I chose this room because of the shower. Housekeeping did an excellent job of cleaning the room each day, paying very good attention to detail.

They provide a Continental Breakfast with enough variety to keep me happy. Love the waffles that you make yourself. Choices of juice, cereal (hot and cold), pastry, breads for toast, a couple different flavors of yogurt, hard boiled eggs, and plenty of great coffee. During the weekend, the eating area can really get crowded. I found it best to get up a little earlier and was able to beat the crowd most mornings.

I did use their laundry facility (one washer and one dryer - that was all I needed). Both worked great. You will need $2 in quarters to wash and another $2 to dry. A bargain when compared to the alternative and very convenient.

You can tell this hotel has been around for a while. But it is well maintained and clean. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

Even if I am not on a budget, I might just stay here again and save a few $$$$.

Room Tip: My room was on the 3rd floor facing north. Even though it was almost next to the elevator, it was v...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Ive stayed there many times, and it was comfortable, clean and breakfast area was stocked well , small eating area though needs to be be rethought .staff was friendly and helpfull, now smoki ng on top floor is allowed, that needs to be alittle cleaner.

Room Tip: Not a bad place to stay.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Was there to sight see Washington, DC....first time I had been there in over 30 years...my mom had never been...Called to see if there was an indoor pool, was told yes but they didnt bother to tell me that it was closed.....went to continental breakfast..no spoons...was told they had run out the day BEFORE so obviously too lazy to go get some. ..people ate cereal and oatmeal with a fork....found ants not only around the juice machine tray but IN IT....they offered to give us a free night when we come back....well firstly, I dont know when we will ever be back in that area...and, secondly, you can bet we would never stay at that place again!!! HOW GENEROUS! Take my advice....there are plenty of hotels in that area....DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THIS ONE! In fact, since Choice Hotels won't do anything further because they say each place is Independently owned...I probably wont deal with any of their chain again. anymore. anything further b place is

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My in-room safe was locked when I arrived so it was useless to me. No staff could open it. The front desk offered a new room, I had to come down to retrieve they key myself. When I got there I realized the pool was closed, the whole purpose of wanting to secure my valuables, so I could take a swim. It had been closed for 3 days, not to reopen for at least 2 more I was told. The elevator smells like an ashtray. I killed 2 ants on the bed the first night. Hotel staff passed me in the halls without a single hello or even eye contact. Not a pleasant stay. Don't waste your money staying here, it is not as promised.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hopewell, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed overnight in King room. Good hotel if you just need a place to rest your head, but if you are looking to use anything listed, good luck--- it is probably out of order...
We booked this place based on its listed amenities. This hotel needs a serious review of their maintenance plan and overall management.

PROS>
>Clean room and lobby, good housekeeping!
>Good overall breakfast with fresh fruit, boiled (rubber;-) eggs, and even a waffle machine. Very friendly girl helping stock breakfast too.
>Nice showers with curved shower rods, good pressure and steady temperature
>Close to merriweather post pavillion (about 15 minutes)

CONS>
>Pool broken / closed, seemed to be under maintenance a lot while we were there, always doing something to it.
>Gym cable equipment only has one pin so only one person can use at a time,treadmill out of service, elliptical machine broken (buttons don't work, no way to make it hard),
>TV remote broken, Old tube TVs with minimal channels
>AC/Heater unit didn't work properly
>not so friendly check-in staff and the desk staff didn't seem happy at all to be there. Not very positive folks here

Would look elsewhere next time we are in the area. We haven't used many hotels in this chain and so far... not impressed.
HP

Room Tip: call the prior or day of trip to see if pool is open (so you don't excite kids for nothing.)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Live in NJ went to harbor for mini vacation the hotel is nice clean and staff very friendly about 10 min walk to harbor would definitely stay again They also serve free breakfast which is not gourmet but good enough

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Our group (32 people) stayed at the Sleep Inn & Suites in Laurel Md for two nights - July 26 & 27 as we attended the Red Sox/Orioles baseball games. The hotel was very well kept, my room consisted of a king bed, sofa, desk, refrigerator, micro wave and safe. The housekeeper did a great job in cleaning my room. Despite other reviews, I did not hear any train noise. I was in room 322. The breakfast which was just okay. This consisted of coffee, apple & orange juice, hot and cold cereal (packages of oatmeal) small muffins and danish, a waffle maker, sausage patties (don't get there too early as the sausages need time to heat up), yogurt and hard boiled eggs in the refrigerated section. Personally, I like some type of eggs rather than hard boiled. The front desk staff was very friendly. No restaurant at the hotel and the only places to purchase food is a pizza shop and a seafood restaurant - they are within walking distance. Otherwise, it is a very long walk to other eating establishments. There is an indoor swimming pool and an exercise room at the hotel. Some of the group did use these facilities.
I would have no problem staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laurel
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Laurel
Days Inn & Suites Laurel
Hampton Inn Laurel (Fort Meade Area)
Fairfield Inn Laurel
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#10 of 16 in Laurel
3.5 of 5 stars 107 reviews

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!