“Great atay for the Money” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Laurel
“Great atay for the Money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

Many construction vehicles in the parking lot, but the staff was super friendly, any location was ideal for my business. My room is very spacious and clean, almost unexpected. I will return I am in this area again.

• Stayed June 2012

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New Philadelphia, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

Our gps kept pointing us to the Velencia, and we were getting nervous, but behind the Valencia across the street we found it! The rooms wee clean w microwave & fridge, indoor pool w handicapped chair lift! Lovely , clean, neat and accommodating. Near restaurants. Short ways to the park n ride metro station. We were able to go to DC Convention center pretty easily ( not knowing anything about mass transit ) with directions from the front desk , cost for 3 was 14.80 (round trip) including parking which was free that day but is usually 4.25 for all day.
The continental breakfast is really a spread with fresh hot Belgium waffles, cereal, 2 kinds of juice, a variety of toast or bagels or doughnuts, and coffee or tea or even cocoa. The staff is super accommodating & helpful.

• Stayed April 2012
Colebrook, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012 via mobile

I was delight with my stay at this hotel... Great customer service; free room upgrade being a Diamond member, great fitness center and pool, good breakfast and good wifi Internet... Very reasonable price... Nothing to complaint about!

• Stayed April 2012
Boone, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

After reading the mixed reviews here, we decided to go ahead and take a chance on this place because of its location (close to friends in College Park) and reasonable prices. It was fine, mostly, but the combination of problems we had - ants in our room, various other small room problems, and a ridiculous fee tacked on at the end - have pretty much guaranteed that I'm not going to stay there again.

The first room we were given was supposedly a nonsmoking room, but it reeked of smoke and some kind of awful air freshener that I guess was supposed to cover up the smokey smell. We opened the window and settled in anyway. Then, in the bathroom, I discovered a bunch of ants swarming on the floor. We went to the front desk, told them about the ants, and requested a new room. The gentleman at the front desk apologized and upgraded us to a king suite free of charge, and this was a much nicer room - no ants, cleaner, and better smelling. Hooray!

But then there were other irritating things - little things, really, but irritating, you know? We couldn't get the internet (wireless or wired) to work. One of the lamps was burned out. The vending machine gave me a 16-oz bottle of crappy water instead of the 20-oz bottle of Aquafina that it advertised. None of this would be a big deal on its own, but together with the Ant Room episode, it didn't really contribute to my good feelings about the hotel.

And then it came time to check out. An invoice had been slid under our door the morning of our departure, and I noticed a new charge on the bill: 99 cents per day for a "safe charge." There was a safe in our room, but we didn't use it, and no one had mentioned this charge before. Here's how the conversation went when we went to check out:

Me: Hi, we're here to check out, room XYZ.
Front Desk Guy: Ok. [doing stuff on his computer]
Me: Say, can I ask you what this "safe charge" is? [Showing him the bill.]
FDG: Oh, yes, that's for the safe in the room.
Me: Even though we didn't use it?
FDG: Yes. If you had asked me about it before, I could have taken the charge off the bill, but I've already checked you out, so now I can't do anything about it. Next time you come, you should ask about it in advance and then we won't charge you for it.

Heh. "Next time I come." Right. This was really the icing on the cake of ridiculousness - a charge for something I didn't use, that you didn't tell me about in advance, and which you *could have* removed if only I had posed the question thirty seconds earlier? Really? Really?

Individually, I could have overlooked any of these problems (except maybe the ants, which sound like they're a persistent problem at this place, if the earlier review on here is correct). All together, though, they're just too much. I'll spend the extra $20/night and stay someplace else next time I'm visiting D.C.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
GamerGirl-STL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I stayed here one night while passing through. The room was extremely large, with lots of floor space. Mostly clean, with appliances, though it was somewhat stuffy. There was an odd smell in the room like someone had gone overboard with the air freshener. Other than that things were fine. There is an indoor pool, and I saw many families with children. Breakfast was good, with many kinds of bread, a wafflemaker, and juice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I do not have a complaint about staying here.

I got what I paid for and I was very pleased with everything including the staff, except the room. Time for the old bedspreads to go. Clean the carpets.

But otherwise you will find this hotel a solid place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Tampa, Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

This hotel was in an ideal location as I was there for a wedding in College Park, the first night was fine, but it was when we woke up the next morning we noticed ants in our bed. My wife had a couple of ant bites on her shoulder. We took of all the sheets and informed the guy at the front desk, hoping they would change the sheets. But when we returned later that day from the wedding, my wife noticed there were more ants in the bed when we woke up from our nap. I went to the front desk to see if there was a housekeeper on staff that could at least change our sheets because there were still ants, fortunately the woman at the front desk was more understanding and bumped us up to a suite. She informed me that there were ants in their meeting room which was close to our room.

Their fitness room was basic, they could at least add a couple of free weights. I also did not like that they added a $2 charge when I checked out because there was a safe in the room, a safe I didn't use, that made no sense to me.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!