“Not the worst hotel ever, but the worst Radisson” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 15%
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Largo
Lexington, Virginia
“Not the worst hotel ever, but the worst Radisson”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have stayed in some $25 per night hotels that were worse than the Radisson Largo, but this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had for more than $50 per night. My wife and I were in town for a national masters track meet at the nearby Prince Georges County center in March 2013. The staff at the front desk kept us waiting to check in. When we asked them for directions to a local drug store, the young lady seemed reluctant to print a map. Then she directed us to a drug store 4.4 miles away. Fortunately we saw one from the street less than 0.5 miles away and I had time to turn in there before going further.

The bathroom was substandard. The faucet control in the bathtub was permanently stuck on "shower" and as a result I could not adjust the water temperature before turning on the shower. The shower curtain was not large enough to cover the whole width of the bathtub. Worst than that, the shower curtain bar was coming unscrewed from the wall, which left it sagging. This had the effect of the shower curtain gradually sliding from both ends toward the "valley" in the middle, letting cooler air enter the shower/bath at both ends of the partially opened curtain, not to mention water getting on the floor.

When we returned to our room at 3 PM after running on Saturday, our used towels had been removed, but had not been replaced. This left us with one bath towel, no hand towels, and no floor mat. I called the front desk asking for more towels and then showered, using the one available bath towel. After I finished showering, no towels had appeared and my wife had to wait before starting to shower. I called the front desk asking for more towels, explaining that we had an engagement that evening. After 20 minutes more, I was about to call for a third time when the towels arrived. This delay was quite inconvenient, as we had plans to join my wife's sister and her husband that evening at their home near Annapolis.

The restaurant food was mediocre and the service was poor. I saw a cloth napkin being refolded for the next customer after one customer asked to be seated at a different table. I saw one wait person carrying cups using the method of grabbing 4 cups from the inside, a finger in each cup. In addition to substandard hygiene, the service was extremely slow. On Friday, I was really hungry, the restaurant was almost empty, but our food did not come for at least 30 minutes after ordering. I finally asked for some bread, which was then served with our lunch. After we had finished eating, my wife sat with me for about 15 minutes as we waited for the check. I sent her to our room and waited alone for another 10 minutes before the check finally arrived. Saturday morning breakfast was even slower. Both my wife and I had races to run in the early afternoon. Although we were not in a hurry, we did not have time for a 2 hour breakfast. It took at least 15 minutes to order and at least 15 minutes for the food to come, even though it was fairly simple (oatmeal, toast, and scrambled eggs). After we finished eating, I sent my wife on to our room and waited for the check. I was asked 4 times if I needed anything, and each time I requested the check--with a 5 to 10 minute interval between each inquiry. The third person to ask was a manager. Our waitress, who asked the second and fourth time, asked each time whether I wanted to order something!

The hotel had "sleep number" beds, which either did not work properly or I did not know how to use correctly. Even though I pressed the "up" button, the pressure would go up and then suddenly deflate. The most positive thing about the room was the absence of bed bugs. My wife is an entomologist and we always check thoroughly.

My impression of Radisson hotels had been favorable, but the Radisson Largo now makes me wonder whether I should avoid the whole chain.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel Largo, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We apologize for the problems you encountered while staying at our hotel. We take your complaints very seriously and will use them for training and to improve our standards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Upon entering the Radisson Hotel I noticed the lobby’s impeccable design. It was like something I had only seen in a movie and at that moment I felt quite luxurious. I began talking to the clerks and front desk agents to organize my stay for the weekend. The staff was very courteous and polite and gave me quality customer service by answering every question I had and providing the information I would need for my stay. I walked into my room afterwards and once again I knew I would enjoy my stay. From the nice sized flat screen to the king sized bed that I requested, everything looked clean, tidy and well taken care. I was able to order room service from my room and enjoyed a world class experience like I may have at a larger hotel. As I entered the pool area, the lifeguard introduced himself as Willie and he was patient in instructing the children and made sure they knew the safety rules before getting into the pool. The lifeguard on duty was very personable and he seemed legitimately concerned about the safety of everyone enjoying the pool. I enjoyed my swim and even watched as the lifeguard demonstrated to a little girl how to swim properly. Waking up that morning was very refreshing, I didn’t really want to get out of bed but I knew I would have to eat breakfast. Going to breakfast in the hotel was a pleasant experience, unlike the continental breakfast you may receive at a lower budget hotel. I helped myself to turkey sausage, eggs, and a waffle. Upon leaving, the clerks thanked me for my stay and asked me if there were any problems with my stay. The only problem I was that I couldn’t afford to stay longer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
District Heights, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel has the best customer service and they make you feel like family! I stayed at this hotel because I was having my bathroom remodeled. It was only suppose to be for two days but it turned out to be for seven days due to issues with the remodeling. Since I live in the area and had to go to work every day, I wasn't happy with the delay's in construction. The front desk staff were wonderful! I had no trouble booking additional days last minute. I got to know just about all of them and they all made me feel welcomed. The housekeeping staff that cleaned my room did a great job and the room service and restaurant staff were great! The food in this hotel is really good. I had excellent customer service from everyone! I want to thank all of the staff and the nice Lady that is the Director of Sales for making my stay a fantastic one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Cape Fear, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Would a 5 stars but the front desk besides their hospitality are lacking a lil common sense . When asked not to put the room service on the hotel bill but on my card they decide to still charge my card and the company Twice . Listen People Nice Hotel but these people are a lil snobbish.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel was great. The service was fantastic, whether it was at 3am or 3pm. Rochelle, one of the women that worked the front desk, was very accommodating and helped me with whatever I needed. I was only there for two nights and she knew me by name by the end of the first day.

The room was clean and comfortable. The only complaint was that the mini fridge was only a little below room temperature but I can live. I had a late night snack (apple pie ala mode) from the restaurant on site delivered to my room, and that was great as well. The shuttle to the metro station and local area restaurants was also very convenient and fast.

I go to the same show in the area every year and I will definitely stay here again! Cheers!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Sleep Number bed! Some friends staying on floor two had an old tube TV, but I...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Harrisburg, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

When I have to travel to Northern Virginia or Maryland for work I have to stay at this Radisson in Largo,MD. As an Club Carlson member I am treated like royalty and given all the perks for free. I love the warm cookies that they have at the front desk, which makes a great night snack. Thank you for the great stay every time. James Gardner Harrisburg,NC

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Radisson Hotel Largo was a great spot for getting to our multi-gym location tournament! (There was a Holiday Inn Express next door, but I'm glad we chose the Radisson)
We had games in Oxen Hill, District Heights and Forestville. ( all about 12-20 mins away)

After hitting traffic and being very tired upon arrival that Friday evening, the check in was quick, easy and professional. Cookies, fresh fruit and even the forbidden chocolate candies were waiting as we arrived and checked in.
Note that complimentary fruit and coffee are always available in the lobby near the elevators.

The rooms were clean and neat. ( average in size)
The "sleep number " beds were small, one of the two didn't work, but we still had a great nights rest!

The Lobby was quaint with a few hall ways to venture; pool area, restaurant and banquet rooms...all off of the small lobby area.

The pool was nice, shaped a little differently than most hotel pools. The life guard on duty was very attentive and had a no nonsense type of attitude ( which was stern, but refreshingly nice to see for safety reasons)

The exercise room is actually nice, larger than many hotels with working machines- awesome!

Computer area ( in a little nook area) and free wifi.

The onsite restaurant was small but cozy with a bar area ( with TV)

No places within walking distance to eat or shop.
Note: 2-3 miles away is a large area for all to do... eat, shop, play ....Movie theater, Golden Corral -plus many, many more stores including grocery stores and anchor stores.

This weekend was a very busy one for the area due to a major AAU basketball tournament and major college track and field meet. ( which was in walking distance to this location- The indoor track facility).
The hotel staff was helpful, with some more personable than others ( staff)
Saye was great!

Breakfast was good and the hours were great( longer breakfast hours than most other hotels!). The breakfast food was good and selection was average, but filling.

Over all This Radisson - Largo was a great choice for our group.
The hotel was full - mainly of sport groups of young athletes to young adults athletes and even a sweet sixteen group, but it was always peaceful, and enjoyable. never a rush or crowed in the elevators or in the restaurant......you always felt "catered" to!!

First place goes tooooooo.....Radisson Hotel Largo! You bring home the "gold"!

*** Final thought ....there was one incident where the fire alarm was pulled...it was handled professionally and with in 10-15 mins all was clear and calm.....great job to the night staff.

Room Tip: Request a corner room( but not by the stairs)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Radisson Hotel Largo? Share your experiences!