“Really quite bad” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Lanham
San Diego, California
“Really quite bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

My wife and I picked this hotel because we were attending a wedding nearby and it was about $80 cheaper per night than some of the surrounding hotels. Honestly, $80 is a lot of money, but we wished we would have just paid extra to stay elsewhere. When we checked in the room smelled strongly of smoke (despite being a non-smoking room), there was standing water in the bathtub, and there was pee and toilet paper in the toilet. The room itself was worn out, and the beds were very old so I woke up with a sore neck and back the next day. The neighborhood is not terrifying, but I wouldn’t really feel comfortable walking around after dark (not there is anyplace to walk to – except for the sketchy drive-through liquor store up the street). In summary, unless you really need to save money and HAVE to stay in this area, I would avoid this hotel.

• Liked — It was cheapter than the others
  • Disliked — unclean rooms, bad beds, disquieting neighborhood
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2007

Although I cannot say much about the rooms (standard Red Roof faire), the front desk attendant when I arrived (11pm) on April 17, 2007, was just plain nasty. She acts like it was a bother to check me in and greets you with "Form of Payment and Picture ID." She did not acknowledge my non-smoking request (stuck me in a smoking room) and did not have my paperwork ready although I am a RediCard frequent guest. When I mentioned that I would like to ask for a room on the side of the buillding wherein the Wireless Internet works better, she rudely told me "The Internet is not free and it does not work that way", WOW that is helpful and so not friendly. Obviously she knows nothing by Wireless networks for large buildings, nor customer service for that matter.

The location is not for the weak of heart. There are numerous shirtless truckers roaming the hallways and bangs and door slamming at all hours of the night. The property is located across from an abandoned gas station and a seedy strip mall.

In total, the Red Roof decor is standard but the people make this place one to avoid, even though it is cheap. It's not worth the aggrevation.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The people
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portsmouth, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2007

It' s never a good sign when you arrive to check in and the lobby contains several angry people checking out. Being short on time, I quickly checked in, deposited my bags, and went on to the next thing. I didn't return till midnight. In the morning, I discovered that the toilet did not flush, and the shower head was not properly hooked up to the pipe. I brought this up at the front desk, and was told I could talk to the general manager by calling the next day. The person at the front desk was not able to give me a refund because I didn't immediately bring it to their attention when I checked in. Doesn't matter that I didn't actually get into the room till after midnight. A call to the general manager the next day was directed to voice mail, and not returned. A call the day after that resulted in the GM saying they'd look into it and give me a call by the end of the day. Didn't happen. I'm about out of patience and ready to dispute the charge. It is one thing to have a problem in a room. It's something else entirely to receive no help in getting it resolved. This was an alternate hotel for a group whose function I was attending. It won't be next year.

Stayed March 2007
Laurel, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

I must admit the new decorations were nice but the room was too small. We stayed in a room with a King sized bed that took up the entire room. From the bed if I turned to the left I was in the bathroom. If I turned to the right I was at the door and directly in front of me was the TV and dresser. If you are bigger than a size 3 you will be uncomfortable. I don't think we will stay here again it was just entirely too small.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2005

Stayed there October 5, 2005. People yelling at each other outside the front desk, the male asking the female where she would get her "IV's". Scary Place. Men on balcony drinking beer until aftr dark. Room itself was dated & fairly clean. Too scary to stay the second night.

Stayed October 2005
Schenectady, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2005

The hotel was pleasant -- nothing fancy, but a good place to stay at a low price. Fewer amenities than many, but that wasn't a real problem. If you're looking for an inexpensive place to stay, it's a good choice.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
Bloomington, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2004

My fiance and I stayed here for one night before a Redskins football game. The room is small (about half the size of hotel rooms that I am used to) but we didn't care about that. Everything was clean and nice. The location is really the best part though. It's only about 4 exits away from FedEx Field. Also very close to College Park if you are going to a U of Maryland game. The price was good for the DC area. Also there was a security guard in the parking lot at night, which made me feel more secure about leaving my car. Only gripe, you must bring your own shampoo, because they don't provide any, and if you forget yours, they don't even have any at the front desk that you can use.

Been to Red Roof Inn Washington, DC - Lanham? Share your experiences!