“Very good hotel in MD” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lanham
NY, United States
“Very good hotel in MD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Very clean guest room and the bath. that is the important thing I look for, Good size refrigerator and microwave oven. LCD TV with a very clean remote control. Decent rate in that area, and it is located at a desired location. it is a pleasure staying there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWGeneralManager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback regarding Best Western Capital Beltway Hotel. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Wyandotte, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were staying at the Best Western for our 11 days of sightseeing in Washington D.C. We really enjoyed staying at the Best Western because it was less expensive than trying to stay in D.C. This gave us the ability to see other parts of the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWGeneralManager, Manager at BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway, responded to this review, August 3, 2013

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.
Bridgeport, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed with an adult bus group of 35 people from July 22 to 25, 2013. We did not get to the motel until after 10:30 each evening. There were two other youth groups while we were staying there. I stayed in room 312. The room itself was clean, but be sure to bring a power strip as there aren’t adequate outlets for many electronic devices. The bathroom was a different story. The sink faucet was leaking at the base. The bathtub/shower has sufficient pressure, but the hot water faucet handle was leaking and the shower did not remove all of the water from the tub faucet. The tub was slow to drain and water was up to my ankles before draining.

As a group, we had breakfast each morning. Instead of being in the breakfast room of the motel, we were sent one of the breakout ballrooms. Breakfast consisted of runny scrambled eggs, grits, and muffins. There were also apples and oranges, 2 types of cereal. No MEAT even after we complained! The regular breakfast room apparently had meat.

We had a woman in our group who stayed at this motel last month and her car window had been busted in and we found out that on our last evening there, there were three cars that were broken in that night. Overall, this is a decent place to stay, but be careful with your car.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Let me start by thanking you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. My apology for not exceeding your expectation during your recent stay with us. Please be advise that the negotiated group rate you had participated includes continental breakfast each morning, not HOT breakfast. In regards to car break in, it is unfortunate that this incident can happen anytime and anywhere. Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

This place is awful. I was overcharged and was trying to speak with management, but she was so terribly rude. I got upset which caused an attack due to the brain disease I have. I collasped and she called the police to remove me, rather than an ambulance! My credit card was over charged by $300, which I'll probably never see again.
As far as the facilities... You can't charge your phone or plug in a laptop without serious issues. Plus, the place isn't very clean and they don't give you much in the way of toiletries. I liked the pancakes, that's about it.

• Stayed June 2013

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. My apology for not exceeding your expectation during your recent stay with us. However, the hotel is 100% smoke free and you and your guest violated this policy. You refuse to pay for the damage so we requested assistance from the authority which you agreed we should call a police. The $300.00 charged to your credit card was a partial payment for smoking in the guest room, not an over charge. Smoking fee in the guest room is a $400.00 fine. Medical assistance was not requested by you or the hotel staff because you did not collapse or was not needed while you were at the hotel. We hope to see you again soon but without smoking in the guest room and any of the common areas of the hotel.
Tallahassee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for eight nights for a business trip on which I needed access to both Washington D.C. and College Park, Maryland. While this hotel is fairly conveniently located and there is a shuttle to and from the local metro station in New Carrollton, there are very few food choices (McDonalds, Goody's, and a Red Lobster) within safe walking distance. I say safe because the hotel is literally off an exit to the highway, and there are no traffic lights at the off ramps to help pedestrians cross. The hotel does have room service available until 10, but the food (which is from local restaurants in the area) is mediocre.

The rooms themselves are fairly spacious and the beds are comfortable, but be careful of the linens. On the second to last night of my stay, while trying to block out the noise of a screaming infant in the adjoining room at 2 a.m., I discovered one of my pillow cases was covered in a crusty, white substance. It was absolutely disgusting, and the head of housekeeping did not apologize, but instead tried to assure me it wasn't milk or semen but something in the wash.

I also had issues with the shower and hot water during my stay. Maintenance does not inform the guest when they've been up to look at things in the room, and they were never able to fix the problem. When I brought this to the attention of one of the assistant general mangers, instead of trying to move me to a room with a functioning shower or asking how she could make me more comfortable, told me that this was an issue that would not be able to be investigated further until I had checked out.

Breakfast is average; items on the buffet frequently run out, and it seems consistently short staffed. Also, as a guest do not forget the slip of paper that says you have breakfast. Not only will the staff not look up your rate plan and make you another one should you lose it, but they will insist that they have to charge you $10 to do it. Whether or not there is a person at the door to take your breakfast ticket, be sure you have it. I had some issues with this, and when I spoke to one of the assistant managers about my issues with breakfast and ticket taking she all but called me a liar.

Overall, I would not stay here. The management is not dedicated to making sure that the guest has the best experience possible and are extremely defensive and argumentative when problems are brought to their attention. I would also be seriously concerned about the cleanliness of the linens.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BWGeneralManager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We apologize for not exceeding your expectation and will certainly follow up on your concerns to take immediate corrective action as needed. Thank you again.

Best regards,

Helen Hayes
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Best Western in Lanham, Maryland is an excellent choice for those who want a clean, quality hotel without the Washington DC expense. The Best Western is located just off the beltway, which makes it easy to see and easy to navigate to (for those who are visiting and not that familiar with the ins-and-outs of beltway traffic). First impressions however, leave a bit to be desired. This is due to the location of the hotel, and there is not much that BW can do about it. To get to the hotel you get off Princess Garden Parkway and cut through a large -and mostly deserted - parking lot that was intended to service a now, for the most part, empty office building. The 'front' of the hotel actually faces the beltway; so in essence, you enter from the rear of the property.

The hotel is, as is often the case, starting to show its age. When I was there, the maintenance staff was constantly working on one or both elevators. The drink machine in the elevator foyer was out of service (which needs to be addressed, given that it is summer in Washington: heat wave!). The second floor drink machine was also out both days. The lobby is furnished with comfortable reading chairs and tables. It also houses a gift shop that is open a few hours per day. My room was very nice, aged, but spotless clean. It had a nice television but lacked, again – this being summer – a room size refrigerator! I have just become used to (Vegas aside) picking up some supplies for the room and using the fridge. The AC worked very well - almost too well - as I was used to a cool room and had to hit the baking streets. The view...well, again it is a question of what you want to spend. My room opened onto the roof area that housed a lot of heating and air conditioning equipment. It does not bother me, because I am not staying in Lanham, Maryland for the scenery, but for those who spend considerable time in the room, and for whom the view matters, this should be awareness.

BW has a complimentary breakfast, which was well apportioned with different breakfast items each day. The staff at the Lanham Best Western was exceptional. I asked for an early check in, having arrived around 10:30 in the morning, and I was in the room in less than ten minutes. They are always friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Another plus of the Lanham BW is that it runs a shuttle from 09:00 to 23:00 to the New Carrolton Metro station, so if you would rather navigate via the Metro, this is a huge benefit. However, be aware that the only food/store within walking distance is the “Goodies Chinese American Take Out” on the opposite side of the vast deserted parking lot (http://www.yelp.com/biz/goodies-restaurant-and-carryout-lanham). If you would prefer to dine in, there is a room service menu available which I assume is contracted out locally. I assume there's delivery around the area, but anything other than "Goodies", you're gonna need a car.

Overall, I gave it a four star rating based on overall interior appearance, quality staff efficiency, complimentary breakfast, shuttle to the Metro and strategic location (not in DC, but close enough). Again, if you are just in and out, the Best Western in Lanham, Maryland beats paying DC prices while still having access to all that's entertaining in the district.

Room Tip: Be aware that looks can be deceiving! The outside of the facility is starting to show its age, and b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Best regards,

Helen Hayes
Donna, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Staff was great. It was clean, but needed updating. Breakfast was adequate, though had to wait for some things to be refilled. Not enough fruit for the people that were there. Coffee was slow in coming out. Pool needed cleaning and life guard was asleep most of the time we were in the pool. good thing we didn't need him to watch our grandchildren. We had two rooms which adjoined so this was a good thing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Poncedar J, Manager at BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Thank you very much for bring your concerns to my attention regarding the breakfast, I can assure you that we are diligently working to resolve this problem. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 301-459-1000 .

Poncedar Johnson
Assistant General Manager
BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway

Been to BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway? Share your experiences!