“Poor Customer Service and Dirty Linens” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Lanham
Tallahassee
“Poor Customer Service and Dirty Linens”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for eight nights for a business trip on which I needed access to both Washington D.C. and College Park, Maryland. While this hotel is fairly conveniently located and there is a shuttle to and from the local metro station in New Carrollton, there are very few food choices (McDonalds, Goody's, and a Red Lobster) within safe walking distance. I say safe because the hotel is literally off an exit to the highway, and there are no traffic lights at the off ramps to help pedestrians cross. The hotel does have room service available until 10, but the food (which is from local restaurants in the area) is mediocre.

The rooms themselves are fairly spacious and the beds are comfortable, but be careful of the linens. On the second to last night of my stay, while trying to block out the noise of a screaming infant in the adjoining room at 2 a.m., I discovered one of my pillow cases was covered in a crusty, white substance. It was absolutely disgusting, and the head of housekeeping did not apologize, but instead tried to assure me it wasn't milk or semen but something in the wash.

I also had issues with the shower and hot water during my stay. Maintenance does not inform the guest when they've been up to look at things in the room, and they were never able to fix the problem. When I brought this to the attention of one of the assistant general mangers, instead of trying to move me to a room with a functioning shower or asking how she could make me more comfortable, told me that this was an issue that would not be able to be investigated further until I had checked out.

Breakfast is average; items on the buffet frequently run out, and it seems consistently short staffed. Also, as a guest do not forget the slip of paper that says you have breakfast. Not only will the staff not look up your rate plan and make you another one should you lose it, but they will insist that they have to charge you $10 to do it. Whether or not there is a person at the door to take your breakfast ticket, be sure you have it. I had some issues with this, and when I spoke to one of the assistant managers about my issues with breakfast and ticket taking she all but called me a liar.

Overall, I would not stay here. The management is not dedicated to making sure that the guest has the best experience possible and are extremely defensive and argumentative when problems are brought to their attention. I would also be seriously concerned about the cleanliness of the linens.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
BWGeneralManager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We apologize for not exceeding your expectation and will certainly follow up on your concerns to take immediate corrective action as needed. Thank you again.

231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Best Western in Lanham, Maryland is an excellent choice for those who want a clean, quality hotel without the Washington DC expense. The Best Western is located just off the beltway, which makes it easy to see and easy to navigate to (for those who are visiting and not that familiar with the ins-and-outs of beltway traffic). First impressions however, leave a bit to be desired. This is due to the location of the hotel, and there is not much that BW can do about it. To get to the hotel you get off Princess Garden Parkway and cut through a large -and mostly deserted - parking lot that was intended to service a now, for the most part, empty office building. The 'front' of the hotel actually faces the beltway; so in essence, you enter from the rear of the property.

The hotel is, as is often the case, starting to show its age. When I was there, the maintenance staff was constantly working on one or both elevators. The drink machine in the elevator foyer was out of service (which needs to be addressed, given that it is summer in Washington: heat wave!). The second floor drink machine was also out both days. The lobby is furnished with comfortable reading chairs and tables. It also houses a gift shop that is open a few hours per day. My room was very nice, aged, but spotless clean. It had a nice television but lacked, again – this being summer – a room size refrigerator! I have just become used to (Vegas aside) picking up some supplies for the room and using the fridge. The AC worked very well - almost too well - as I was used to a cool room and had to hit the baking streets. The view...well, again it is a question of what you want to spend. My room opened onto the roof area that housed a lot of heating and air conditioning equipment. It does not bother me, because I am not staying in Lanham, Maryland for the scenery, but for those who spend considerable time in the room, and for whom the view matters, this should be awareness.

BW has a complimentary breakfast, which was well apportioned with different breakfast items each day. The staff at the Lanham Best Western was exceptional. I asked for an early check in, having arrived around 10:30 in the morning, and I was in the room in less than ten minutes. They are always friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Another plus of the Lanham BW is that it runs a shuttle from 09:00 to 23:00 to the New Carrolton Metro station, so if you would rather navigate via the Metro, this is a huge benefit. However, be aware that the only food/store within walking distance is the “Goodies Chinese American Take Out” on the opposite side of the vast deserted parking lot (http://www.yelp.com/biz/goodies-restaurant-and-carryout-lanham). If you would prefer to dine in, there is a room service menu available which I assume is contracted out locally. I assume there's delivery around the area, but anything other than "Goodies", you're gonna need a car.

Overall, I gave it a four star rating based on overall interior appearance, quality staff efficiency, complimentary breakfast, shuttle to the Metro and strategic location (not in DC, but close enough). Again, if you are just in and out, the Best Western in Lanham, Maryland beats paying DC prices while still having access to all that's entertaining in the district.

Room Tip: Be aware that looks can be deceiving! The outside of the facility is starting to show its age, and b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Donna, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Staff was great. It was clean, but needed updating. Breakfast was adequate, though had to wait for some things to be refilled. Not enough fruit for the people that were there. Coffee was slow in coming out. Pool needed cleaning and life guard was asleep most of the time we were in the pool. good thing we didn't need him to watch our grandchildren. We had two rooms which adjoined so this was a good thing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Poncedar J, Manager at BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Thank you very much for bring your concerns to my attention regarding the breakfast, I can assure you that we are diligently working to resolve this problem. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 301-459-1000 .

Peoria, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The staff, lobby, and laundry services were exceptional at this hotel. The room was dated and there was a smell that I couldn't quite discern in the room. The smell was eliminated the following day by the generous tip I left on the bed along with a note for the housekeeping staff. The hotel does provide a breakfast, but my family resorted to the cold cereal based on the mess that was left around the hot food line each of the four mornings we visited. The trash was over flowing into the floors on two separate mornings when we visit the breakfast room. I noted that the attendant spent much time running to get refills on juice, milk, and coffee when this time could be better spent tending to the food and patrons.
Do not keep valuables in your car at this or any hotel. We were fortunate to not have any issues, but observed a broken car window in the parking lot.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team I would like to thank you for the compliment of the staff. I would also like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Thank you very much for bring your concerns to my attention regarding the breakfast, I can assure you that we are diligently working to resolve this problem. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Booked this hotel for my family on our six flags trip. We arrived at 11:30pm and I was disgusted by the outside. It was clean but I could not even drag my children through the sea of drunk people out front throwing beer cans and yelling. Didn't think this was going to be safe due to that and the bouncers standing outside what they call their lounge but is actually a nightclub. This is all at the only entrance. I also noticed 3 state police standing by. The front desk did offer to upgrade me but I kindly declined as I had to quickly exit the area due to a group of men with drinks trying to talk to my 12 yr old daughter. If you are an adult couple this may be a nice hotel but definitely not for a family. I was very surprised as I have never had an Issue with a Best Western. Maybe it should be advertised differently.

Stayed June 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Thank you very much for bring your concerns to my attention regarding our Night Club. Please except my sincere apologies for not providing you with that information upon receipt of your booking. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Pune, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The location of the hotel was pretty ok and since the hotel shuttle dropped us to the station and picked us up back it was convenient.we stayed for 3 nights and were pretty comfortable.Inspite of the night club in the hotel we didnt face any issues. The breakfast was ok and the chef cum shuttle driver was very helpful and warm.The rooms were clean and big and same wih the washrooms. As such an average hotel wnd we spent are 3nights here without any hassles.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Hotel staff was great; really nice... except for one shuttle driver in the evening who neither spoke nor opened any doors for us, also flipped another driver off.

But everyone else was soooooo nice!
Room was great except for shower curtain which slips to middle, leaving water on the floor on both sides.
Breakfast was great and coffee was good (which I really appreciate).
Really hard to find first time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Poncedar J, Manager at BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
To our valued guest:

Thank you so very much for your kind words and compliments; and thank you for taking the time to complete the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 301-459-1000 .

Assistant General Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway? Share your experiences!