“Good rate, everything else was average” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lanham
Salzburg, Austria
“Good rate, everything else was average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The location of this hotel is very convenient. A couple restaurants and fast food joints are in walking distance (we tried the chinese take out right next door - pretty good food at a good price).
There's plenty of parking around the hotel. The lobby looked nice (much nicer than the hotel from the outside).
Staff was not too friendly at check-in - seemed a bit disinterested.
Our room was clean, but nothing out of the ordinary. There was an old tv that was broken (but they fixed it pretty quickly - we got a another old tv, but that one worked).
They already told me they should get new flat tvs by the end of the year, though.
The hallways were pretty dark and the view from our room was not very nice (just take at a look at my pictures - our room was located on the 2nd floor).
We had a good night's sleep - our room was pretty quiet.
Breakfast was ok, but nothing fancy.
The gentleman at the front desk was very friendly and always had a smile when we checked out the next day. That's what I call a good concierge.
I would have no problems to stay there again, cause you get a good night's sleep at a pretty good rate (compared to other hotels in the area).
They even have an indoor pool, but we had no time to check it out.
Once again, a very convenient location just off the Beltway to catch a Redskins game!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors and facing away from the Beltway.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is my first review but I feel like I owe it to TripAdvisor users since it was this site that helped so much in planning our trip.
Our family is two adults and two teens. We stayed in a 2 Queen room for 7 nights early October for $525 +tax/fees.
Our trip was solely to see the sights in D.C. and we traveled only by Metro so the shuttle service offered by the hotel was a huge selling point for us. The only suggestion I would make is that they run the shuttle more frequently during the peak times in the morning and evening. Right now it runs every hour on the hour 8am-9pm, so if your train gets in a few minutes after the hour you could be waiting at the station for 45+ minutes to be picked up or hanging out at the hotel for the next one to leave. Why not run every half hour or on request for larger groups since it's just the handyman that drives the van. FYI - The night we checked in was after the shuttle stopped running to the New Carrollton station so we took a taxi van for $10.
Check-in was very quick and thanks to the tips from previous reviewers we asked for and received a room on the fifth floor. I do need to take a moment and single out one of the staff for extra recognition. Glenn was working the desk when we checked in but I had also spoken with him on the phone a few days prior to arrival to ask some question regarding the transportation options. I stay in hotels 3-4 times a month for work and have never met a staff member as helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly as Glenn. We had the opportunity over the week to interact with him on a several occasions and each time he greeted us by name with a smile and anticipated our concerns and questions before we even voiced them. He is probably one of the best assets of the hotel and one of the reasons we will return.
First impressions of the room were that it was clean, in good repair, up to date, and comfortable. The bed was my favorite part of the room. I slept better here than at home but that could be due to exhausting myself each day by walking up and down The Mall, either way I have no complaints. The bathroom was larger than expected which was nice, plus there was a mirror/counter area outside the bathroom that was wonderful to have for my wife and daughter. On the downside, no closet and not much space to hang clothes or store bags. Housekeeping was always good and kept the room spotless. Wi-fi in the room was sketchy the first night but after that it worked great for the rest of our stay. The biggest complaint for our particular room was the AC/Heater. We didn't need to use it because the weather was decent but my son turned on the AC the first night just to see if it worked and a very bad moldy/mildew smell filled the room. Maybe it hadn't been run in a while or just needed service, I don't know but I'm glad we didn't need to use it for our stay.
We enjoyed the pool several nights during our stay and while it was a little on the cool side and a bit hard to find the first time, we always had it to ourselves. I was surprised that there is no hot tub as that would have been nice for soaking after a long day of walking but it's not a deal breaker for me.
Breakfast in the morning was about what you would expect. Juices, coffee, bagels, breads, pastries, muffins, fruit, yogurt, cereal, milk, oatmeal, grits, eggs, pancakes (cool machine - push a button 1min later pancake comes out), and french toast sticks on the weekend. My advice would be to hit this when it first opens (6am-10am). No crowd and the food is fresh, especially the hot stuff and the breads. We made the mistake of sleeping in one day and didn't get there until 9am. Place was full of noisy little kids without parents and the hot stuff was congealed and bread was dry, and forget trying to use the pancake machine. One suggestion to the management, you have the hot food station why not add another protein like bacon or sausage or ham.
The exercise room was nice if basic but again, like the pool, I always had it to myself so that was actually relaxing.
We used the gift shop a few times to get snacks and some medicine. Prices are high but you are paying for the convenience. For a little bit better selection and slightly better prices you can walk across the parking lot to the 7-11.
The hotel is within walking distance of several restaurants both takeout and sit-down. Our favorite was Goodies next door for their cheese steaks. There is also a Chinese place next to 7-11. McDonalds, Red Lobster, Burger King, and Jerry's Pizza and Subs are all within a few hundred yards of the hotel.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and for the price, even though we were at the far end of the Metro's Orange line, the money we saved allowed us to do some things in D.C. that we could not have afforded had we stayed close to the downtown core. Thank you BW for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: 5th floor room away from the elevator and never had any problem with noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CommentManager, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and the value of our hotel allowed for additional spending in DC! We will relay your comments onto Glen. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights while visiting Washington, D.C. First, the best thing about this hotel is Glenn at the front desk - friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. The breakfast (which is included) was not bad but the exactly the same each day. The bed was reasonably comfortable. Located fairly close to the Metro station to take the train into downtown - hotel has a shuttle but we drove to the station for convenience. That was the positive - now the negative. The whole hotel needs a complete updating. Our room was on the 6th floor and the hallway from the elevator was dark and old. The room was OK but the bathroom needs work - old, mismatched tile with darkened grout. On the first night, we were awakened numerous times by noise coming from the parking lot six floors below! The window is a sliding glass door but it is permanently prevented from opening - no balcony or lanai. Why a glass door? Which is a single pane so no insulation from noise or weather. Needs updating. We went down to the pool once - in the basement, through a dingy hallway, the pool looked swampy - couldn't see the bottom or even the second step. If there was a pump or filter problem, a notice would have been good. All told, staying here was better than sleeping in our car but I don't think we would consider this hotel again when there are so many other choices in the area, even though the price was the best.

Room Tip: To pick a "good" room, pick another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is my first review of a hotel ever. My husband and I are usually quite happy with anyplace we stay. We tend to make the best of a bad situation and laugh off any problems. Unfortunately there is a limit to our good nature and this hotel went far beyond it. Starting at check-in, mid-afternoon. There were three people working the front desk and one other client. We stood at the desk for 25 minutes waiting for somebody to help us. (The front staff were very friendly though). One girl started to help us, then stopped and said the other lady would help us, so we waited again. We were thrilled to see a free coffee stand in the lobby, but there were no cups. We asked at the desk and the man said he would tell the woman to put some out. When we came back down an hour later there were still no cups. We mentioned that a number of times during our three day stay. We never saw any cups the whole time. There was a coffee maker in our room, but no sweetener, creamer or stir sticks. We requested some at the front desk. They never arrived. I took off my shoes in our room, took three steps and walked into a puddle of something very cold and wet on the rug. Asked for housekeeping to deal with it. They never did. The first night was sleepless due to the noise from the air conditioner sounding like a jet engine/police siren. Told the front desk at 7:00am. Came back at 8:00 pm and nobody had bothered to take a look. We found a maintenance worker who told us that was the sound they all make !! Sadly most hotels were full that weekend so moving to another one was out of the question. Also noticed that the bed had been made, but the ice bucket was on the table full of water. The maids hadn't emptied it and all the dirty cups were still on the counter and tables. The only thing they had done was take away our SOUVENIR cups that we had bought in Washington DC and that had been unused. Didn't bother with breakfast. We walked in the room and immediately lost our appetites, it was pretty depressing. Wanted to buy some things at the gift shop, but after hanging around for 15 minutes nobody came. As we were leaving, a man who had been sitting in the lobby talking on his cellphone the whole time came up and asked us if we were going to buy anything. Um no.
On a positive note, our car wasn't broken into like some people's were. The staff was friendly, the bed was comfortable and we didn't get bedbugs. We were on the sixth floor so we didn't hear the loud people at the club that others were complaining about. We ordered room service from an outside provider. The food was incredible ! Hot, good value, and great portions. They actually called later to check on our satisfaction. This Best Western could learn a lot from this company's customer service. In fairness, I understand this wasn't a five star hotel and you do get what you pay for, but as paying customers we are not going to tolerate a company lowering the bar. We will take our travel money elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CommentManager, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
We apologize your stay was less than expected. Comments such as yours are not typical of our hotel and we are looking into them. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to improve our porducts and services.We do appreciate your business and we welcome the chance to earn back your business.
North Scituate, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This hotel is very convenient for those visiting Washington, DC. It offers free parking, free shuttle to the Metro and easy access to the 495 loop and restaurants in the area. Our room was clean, the beds comfortable and the free full breakfast with eggs and pancakes very good. The front desk people were efficient, very pleasant and quick to help. They printed out directions to the restaurants we wanted to find. An all around good value.

Room Tip: We kept the fan on to muffle any highway noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Booked a room for the weekend Friday through Monday. Room was clean, staff was very professional and friendly. Room was also quiet and very peaceful. Slept like a bear. Outside of the room was a different story. The lobby was noisy on he weekend because of the club in the hotel. Not an issue in my room. The elevator was so small that if two people brought 2 to 3 bags a peice, they would fill it up. I think 4 people can get in it but barely without touching eachother. Friday night was a good experience until Saturday morning when we went outside and realized that our car window was busted and items taken from the vehicle. After surveying the lot, 3 more cars in close proximity also had been busted into and there was glass all over. Perfect start. Saturday nightwas quiet until about 10:30ish when we looked out of the window and saw a huge fight on the parking lot with about 20 teenagers fighting between cars. People were knocked unconcious all around the vehicles in the lot. Someone did a lot check. The police sent two cars over for about 2 minutes to tell everyone to leave.The rest of the time I was there I was contantly making trips to my car to make sure nothing else happened. We contacted the front desk about the occurences and they pretty much gave us a "my bad" I would stay here again but I'd like to park close to the entrance!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
CommentManager, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments. We aplogize for the events as you described. We appreciate that the fact that you would stay at our hotel again, your business is important to us.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This hotel comes alive on the weekends when sizable tour groups arrive. The hotel is located next to the north bound ramp unto Washington DC's Capital Beltway at Exit 20. It sits far enough off-road to provide a relaxed atmosphere especially on the higher floors. And, with restaurants and shopping centers within walking distance of the hotel, and car rentals or subway also nearby, I was sold on location and convenience. Cost saving guest services and hotel amenities included free WiFi, breakfast, in-room refrigerator and microwave. Although WiFi is a bit slow and drops out sometimes, savings add up esecially on longer stays. Staff is friendly and helpful. The pool is only available from 4-10pm daily but it does not seem to be drawback.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
CommentManager, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments. We are pleased you found out hotel to be a good value and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Been to BEST WESTERN Capital Beltway? Share your experiences!