“Good midway point between DC and Annapolis” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Internet + Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Landover
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
“Good midway point between DC and Annapolis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

For a trip do both Washington, DC & Annapolis, MD, we decided to find a hotel that was located between the two, about 30 minutes from each. The Courtyard New Carrollton Landover fit that that bill perfectly.

The hotel was in the middle of renovations and we were lucky enough to get a refreshed room. The room was clean and very comfortable, especially the bed. There's also quite a nice courtyard in the middle of the building to relax in, as well as a full service restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner available for guests. We found the Wi-Fi to be fast and the parking to be plentiful.

We'd definitely recommend this hotel for anyone needing to stay in this area as the prices are reasonable and the hotel is comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I went to D.C. at the end of June for a week of sightseeing and meeting up with old friends. Due to some scheduling issues I ended up staying the first 3 nights at the Courtyard in Rosslyn/Arlington and the last 3 nights at New Carrollton. (Strictly my choice, nothing to do with Marriott)
The first 3 nights in Arlington were great!! Excellent service, nice room, and super convenient to restaurants, grocery and Metro. I was very pleased, and a little concerned about moving so far away from the "action" that, that area provides.
My concern was completely un-founded.
Due to checkout and check-in times being 3 hours,apart, I arrived around 12:30 at New Carrollton. I was afraid of losing the whole day to this process, no worries .....they immediately checked me into my room and I was headed back to D.C. within an hour!!
Amazing kindness and courtesy from the lady at the desk. Wish I had gotten her name.

The Room.....
Brand New! The bed was super comfortable, and everything was spotless!
Wi-Fi (FREE), a little slow, but not a hindrance.
I was on the terrace level, which is below the main level. At first, I felt like they stuck me in the basement, but this turned out to be a perfect location. Very quiet and convenient especially if like me, you are walking everywhere. I think I walked through the lobby 2x, the whole time I was there.
The hotel backs up to a creek, swampy area, which I found quite peaceful. This is the place I would go sit with drink in hand, and have a cigarette at the end of the day. Very quiet!!!!!
The courtyard / pool area is very nice.

The location, being so far removed from everything could be considered a drawback to some. I was eating in DC everyday/night, so it wasn't an issue. The shuttle service is fast and easy to the Metro if you are to lazy to walk the .4 miles to the hotel or back.
I did give this 5 stars because of all of the above, but beware of the Lack of convenience to restaurants, and the 30 minute trip into town.

Next year, I will stay here the whole time!!!! The minor inconvenience is easy to deal with if you plan ahead. (Snacks, liquor, etc..bought before you come home for the night!)

LOVE THIS PLACE!!! I will be back!!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We had a great 2 night stay here! Very modern looking, room was clean, the mattress was nice and the staff were super friendly and helpful. It's in a nice location - a quiet business park that's about a 10 minute walk to the metro. Or they have a shuttle that can take you but we walked since it's a decent area. And once you get on the metro, you can pretty much go anywhere in DC. I would recommend to bring stuff for breakfast since it's not included and the cafe was a little more than I'd like to spend. This was probably one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in for the price. We would definitely come back!

• Stayed June 2014
CYNewCarrollton, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New Carrollton Landover, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Amber,
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms. We love them, too! Thank you for sharing your hotel experience. We hope to have you stay with us again.
Jesup, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Our experience at the Courtyard New Carrollton was simply wonderful. The hotel was quiet due to its location in a business park, and it smells fresh and clean due to recent renovations. How wonderful it was to stay somewhere nice and quiet and clean! We chose this hotel due to having to travel to DC, Annapolis, and Baltimore. It was GREAT!
Tips and Info
1. When travelling to DC, use the METRO. Courtyard provides a free shuttle van to the Metro/ Amtrak/ MARC station. The New Carrollton Metro stop is at the end of the orange line which goes into the heart of DC. It's about 30 minutes to the Capitol or the Mall area. The Washington Nationals ballpark is on the orange line, too.
2. The hotel is in a business park, so due to lack of restaurants or shops in the area, it's good to have a rental car if you are staying longer than a night. Parking is free! (Although we actually liked the remoteness of the hotel, it could be a drawback for others. Just be aware of limitations... you can work around them, as we did. I rated the location a 5 due to proximity to Metro, the courtesy van, and having a rental car.
3. We could not figure out how to change the setting on the AC. It was never hot, though, and sometimes it was cold, but that made for good sleeping! The sofa in our room was a small sleeper, and there were supplies for it in a drawer. I used the blanket on the bed one night. That may be a drawback for some. I was grateful for the cool room!
4. You'll have a small coffee maker and coffee provided. Bring your own coffee fixings if you do not like black coffee. You'll have a mini-fridge in the room, but no microwave, so plan snacks or meals accordingly. There is a small marketplace with snacks and a microwave in the lobby.
5. You can print your boarding passes in the hotel lobby area at a computer/printer setup dedicated for this.
6. Wireless internet in your room is free!
7. Ask. They'll help you.
8. If you have to travel to DC, stay here. The rates are very reasonable. You are about 30 minutes away from DC by Metro, and about the same from Annapolis by car. Baltimore is about 35 minutes by car (beautiful drive on the parkway!) and closer to an hour by MARC from BWI.
9. Be friendly and treat the staff with courtesy. They will bend over backwards to make your stay enjoyable.
Our stay was exceedingly wonderful due to the staff at Courtyard New Carrollton, so the rest of this detailed review will be about our experiences with staff members. I'd like to give them a rating higher than 5! (I apologize for any misspellings. I should have written down names...)
Our flight arrived mid-morning, and my sister and I arrived at the hotel 3 hours before check-in time. We asked Asia if they would hold our bags and tell us where we could freshen up since we had to go into DC for a meeting, and I was wearing NO makeup (long story) Asia let us go ahead and check into a room! That was the first happy "exceeds customer service" (ECS) experience.
After freshening up, we were taken to the METRO by the Courtyard van. Enrique, our driver, was quite courteous, gracious, and helpful. He opened the doors for us and gave us directions about where to go. Enrique ended up taking us to and from the METRO every day he worked, and we were delighted! At no time did we wait longer than 3 minutes for the shuttle after asking the front desk to notify the driver that we needed a ride. (Second ECS experience.)
The next morning, we had to go into DC pretty early and even though the shuttle hours are not supposed to begin until 7 AM, they got the van at 6:30 AM and took us to the METRO to keep us from having to walk the three long blocks! (Third ECS)
That same evening we walked back to the hotel since it was after 10 PM, and although we suspected they would come get us from the METRO, we did not want to "expect" it, and the walk was nice! We felt safe in the area, especially since there was law enforcement or security present at the Metro and at the hotel.
Even though the interstate is nearby, you'd never know it.
There are no shops or restaurants within walking distance, so there were few people in the area. However, there are many restaurants and shops about 3-5 miles away, so if you have a car, it's absolutely no problem. Shawn at the front desk gave us a handout with directions to a variety of restaurants and gave us tips on other things in the area. (Fourth) We went to a shopping plaza less than 10 minutes away. Not a bad drive at all!!
We did have breakfast at The Bistro daily, and the food was good. (Starbucks Coffee, fresh fruit (strawberries were to-die for!!), yogurt, and a chocolate chocolate chip muffin... I mean, how can you go wrong?) Kaazir waited on us every day that he worked, too, and he was friendly, helpful, and patient as we tried to make up our minds about what to eat! (Fifth ECS)
There were several people with whom we interacted only once, like the fellow who looked up the phone number for non-emergency law enforcement when I had an incident with the rental car on the Interstate. He saw me hours later and asked if everything was ok and if there was anything else he could do to help. (sixth)
I encountered some of the cleaning staff in the halls, and they smiled and greeted me!
The staff at Courtyard New Carrollton pretty much act like family, and when you have several staff members who make you feel as if you are long lost cousins come to visit.... well, I just can't help but sing their praises. We were absolutely delighted with our stay. Can you tell? :-)
Thanks, Courtyard New Carrollton. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
CYNewCarrollton, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New Carrollton Landover, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
This review is very robust, with a tremendous amount of useful information. Thank you for your time in sharing with our prospective guests! We are so happy to hear that we were able to "ECS" for you.

I'll be sure to share your kind words with my staff and celebrate with those who so positively impacted your stay.

Thanks again!
mcorrus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I would of given this hotel a higher star rating last two times I stayed...but this time I'm very disappointed in the location of my room. This hotel only has ONE elevator and it is very inconveniently placed in the far corner of the hotel, this is also where the ice machine is located. If you are fortunate enough to get a room on the 1st level facing the courtyard, this hotel would rate a five every time, if you get stuck in a room as far from the front desk and elevators as virtually possible then you'll be like me a bit perturbed. We use Priceline to book our room, and rates thru Priceline are amazing, but I feel as though Priceline Customers are looked down upon. We get the crappiest rooms and usually in the worst locations. I will stay here again, and I will strongly request that I don't get put way out of the way. I will also add one more thing, an earlier review on here mentioned House Keeping knocking on doors very early, while this hasn't happened to me here(probably cause we're usually out of the room by 8) it has at other Courtyard locations. This is definitely something that needs to be addressed, check out isn't until noon then no one should be knocking on the door prior to that.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard and if you want to be close to the lobby make sure to request on...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
CYNewCarrollton, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New Carrollton Landover, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. I apologize that we were unable to assign a room to you that met your needs. We make every effort to meet the preferences of all guests.

Please know that the hotel receives only a brief amount of information from Priceline reservations. I encourage guests who book through Priceline to call the hotel directly after making a reservation to communicate any requests such as room location. This information allows my team to assign rooms more effectively.

We look forward to having an opportunity to serve you again in the future. Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Hopkins, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past several years and each time it has improved. The lobby is very nice and check in was no problem at all. My room was recently renovated, it was clean and spacious with modern looking and functional furniture. Everything worked as it should. The pool was a bit small, but functional. I did notice the hot tub had been removed since my last visit. One of the employees mentioned it had become a liability issue. I did sort of enjoy the hot tub, but I understand how some people not following safety directions can mess things up for everyone else. The exercise room was clean with a couple of treadmills and a couple of elliptical machines and some dumbbells. I would have liked to have been able to use a weight machine and a exercise mat would have been nice, but the room is small and again I can understand the liability issues that might come with a piece of equipment like a weight machine. The hotel was mostly quiet during most of the nights of my stay, which let me get a good nights sleep. The internet worked well even with the basic service and the room was cleaned very well each day of my stay. These are all good things of course.
There are a few improvements that I could recommend though. This hotel used to have a buffet breakfast. It was easy to quickly get breakfast and move along with the day. Now they have a Bistro and depending on how busy it is, one can easily wait 15 minutes or longer to place an order that now has to be cooked and delivered to your table. Bistro is good...waiting for breakfast is bad, especially if I'm running a little late which caused me to miss my free breakfast several times while I was there. I can't blame the Bistro because after the first time I should have known to plan for more time. Things seemed to run a bit smoother when an employee named Zamir was working. Anyway, if you plan to have breakfast, I recommend making a good bit of extra time for that process. I would like to see the buffet again or at least have some quick grab and go type items at the Bistro that could be gotten without waiting in a line. Another improvement would be to place microwaves in the room. I imagine one could have been available if I asked for it, but I didn't....but then again most places I stay I don't have to ask for one either. Most hotels have microwaves in the room and it's a little hard to pop popcorn without one. The last improvement I would recommend is with the television signal. Some days there was HBO and some days not. Some days there were high end channels that were not there on other days. This might not be the hotel's fault at all, but it did become a little annoying when at almost the end of a show or movie the television would suddenly search for a signal. This happened almost every other day I was there. The last thing I would bring up is the housekeeping staff knocking on doors and yelling "housekeeping" quite early, like 8:00 am. I had a sign on my door and nobody knocked on my door that early, which I do appreciate, but the knocking on the doors down the hallway was enough to wake anyone up. I realize this hotel is used mostly by business travelers who are gone that early and maybe it isn't cost effective to have the housekeeping staff wait another hour or two before knocking on doors, but I mention it because the knocking started hours before check-out time and early enough to be disturbing.
I realize some of this stuff really is petty and to be honest, overall, I had an excellent stay. The staff was friendly. The hotel was clean, comfortable, within walking distance of a metro stop, and I felt like I got a decent deal for the money. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends or family if ever in the area. I will most likely be back again one day.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good at this hotel. It is currently undergoing renovation so I would reco...
Green Features: The hotel gave the option to hang towels that I was willing to reuse.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
East Killingly, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great place for visiting Washington D.C. Quiet office park near the end of the Orange Line of the Metro. Free shuttle to the Metro Station New Carrollton. Bistro was okay. Kosmos across the street had more variety. Drive to most restaurants. Free parking. Friendly staff. Stayed a week in May of 2014

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott New Carrollton Landover? Share your experiences!