“Gets better everytime I stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Landover
Hopkins, South Carolina
“Gets better everytime I stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past several years and each time it has improved. The lobby is very nice and check in was no problem at all. My room was recently renovated, it was clean and spacious with modern looking and functional furniture. Everything worked as it should. The pool was a bit small, but functional. I did notice the hot tub had been removed since my last visit. One of the employees mentioned it had become a liability issue. I did sort of enjoy the hot tub, but I understand how some people not following safety directions can mess things up for everyone else. The exercise room was clean with a couple of treadmills and a couple of elliptical machines and some dumbbells. I would have liked to have been able to use a weight machine and a exercise mat would have been nice, but the room is small and again I can understand the liability issues that might come with a piece of equipment like a weight machine. The hotel was mostly quiet during most of the nights of my stay, which let me get a good nights sleep. The internet worked well even with the basic service and the room was cleaned very well each day of my stay. These are all good things of course.
There are a few improvements that I could recommend though. This hotel used to have a buffet breakfast. It was easy to quickly get breakfast and move along with the day. Now they have a Bistro and depending on how busy it is, one can easily wait 15 minutes or longer to place an order that now has to be cooked and delivered to your table. Bistro is good...waiting for breakfast is bad, especially if I'm running a little late which caused me to miss my free breakfast several times while I was there. I can't blame the Bistro because after the first time I should have known to plan for more time. Things seemed to run a bit smoother when an employee named Zamir was working. Anyway, if you plan to have breakfast, I recommend making a good bit of extra time for that process. I would like to see the buffet again or at least have some quick grab and go type items at the Bistro that could be gotten without waiting in a line. Another improvement would be to place microwaves in the room. I imagine one could have been available if I asked for it, but I didn't....but then again most places I stay I don't have to ask for one either. Most hotels have microwaves in the room and it's a little hard to pop popcorn without one. The last improvement I would recommend is with the television signal. Some days there was HBO and some days not. Some days there were high end channels that were not there on other days. This might not be the hotel's fault at all, but it did become a little annoying when at almost the end of a show or movie the television would suddenly search for a signal. This happened almost every other day I was there. The last thing I would bring up is the housekeeping staff knocking on doors and yelling "housekeeping" quite early, like 8:00 am. I had a sign on my door and nobody knocked on my door that early, which I do appreciate, but the knocking on the doors down the hallway was enough to wake anyone up. I realize this hotel is used mostly by business travelers who are gone that early and maybe it isn't cost effective to have the housekeeping staff wait another hour or two before knocking on doors, but I mention it because the knocking started hours before check-out time and early enough to be disturbing.
I realize some of this stuff really is petty and to be honest, overall, I had an excellent stay. The staff was friendly. The hotel was clean, comfortable, within walking distance of a metro stop, and I felt like I got a decent deal for the money. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends or family if ever in the area. I will most likely be back again one day.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good at this hotel. It is currently undergoing renovation so I would reco...
Green Features: The hotel gave the option to hang towels that I was willing to reuse.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
East Killingly, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great place for visiting Washington D.C. Quiet office park near the end of the Orange Line of the Metro. Free shuttle to the Metro Station New Carrollton. Bistro was okay. Kosmos across the street had more variety. Drive to most restaurants. Free parking. Friendly staff. Stayed a week in May of 2014

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed here for our weekend trip to the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC 4/10 - 4/13. The hotel is currently undergoing renovations, but we experienced no inconvenience and minimal noise during the day. Had a nicely remodeled room. On demand transportation to the metro, but only a 10 minute walk, so we walked back once during the day. Hotel is kind of in a business park so there are no restaurants within walking distance, except the lobby Bistro which surprisingly wasn't bad (we ate there twice). As far as noise, the inconsiderate children's female basketball team ran unsupervised in the hallways, yelled to each other, and let their room doors slam until well past 11 pm Saturday night. Hopefully they've checked out by now. There appeared to be (an off duty state trooper) a security person who just sat in the lobby using his laptop - I suppose we could have disturbed him to address the children, but they settled down by 1130 and all was well. THE STAFF HERE from the front desk, to housekeeping, to the Bistro, to maintenance, IS OUTSTANDING! Everyone seemed happy, greeted us in the hallways, and really appeared to want our business. We highly reccommend this Courtyard and will stay there when we return to the area!

Room Tip: This place is off the beaten path, especially on weekends. We could see the 495 loop but did not hea...
Green Features: Same as other hotels - use your towels over and save the world - or throw them on the floor and use thousands of gallons of water and toxic detergent. It's all up to you!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

This was our first stay at this Courtyard and it will not be our last. It was a great hotel! Very clean and decorated beautifully. We didn't eat at the Bistro but we did get Starbucks coffee and it was tasty. Staff that we came in contact with were very accommodating. We arrived around 10PM for check in and were offered a late checkout. We appreciated that very much! Very close to the metro and for us that is IMPORTANT! Will stay there again! Keep up the good work Courtyard! FYI they are doing renovations on the hotel, an entire floor is closed. We stayed on a weekend so we were not bothered by any noise. The Marriott website did let us know about the construction ahead of time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed at this hotel while visiting Washington DC for a week of sight-seeing. We didn't rent a car and chose instead to purchase a week pass for the metro trains. This hotel was perfect for using the metro! The hotel is close enough to the New Carrollton metro stop to walk (about 3 blocks through a non-residential, business office area). There is also a hotel shuttle that will take you there or pick you up between 7am and 10pm. The drivers were wonderful and always arrived quickly once called! The New Carrollton metro stop is also a stop for the MARC and Amtrak trains, which we took to and from the BWI airport. It took 20-30 minutes to get into the city on the metro, which turned out to be much less of a hassle than expected.

Our flight came in early in the morning and the hotel held our bags until check-in while we went into the city for a few hours. The rooms were simple, but very clean and modern. Self service laundry is also available for a reasonable price. We forgot laundry detergent, which they offered complementary!

Our only complain about the location is that there isn't much nearby to do or eat. However, the hotel has a bistro that serves food until 10pm. The breakfasts were wonderful! They offered large portions and high quality food (delicious french toast, oatmeal, breakfast sandwiches, etc). We had dinner one night and it was also very good! The lobby also offers computers and printers. The computers worked well for printing our boarding passes, but had some trouble when checking our email.

The majority of the staff was very nice and went out of their way to help us on many occasions! We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a cheaper alternative to staying in the expensive areas of DC while sight-seeing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
CYNewCarrollton, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New Carrollton Landover, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thanks for crafting such a thorough review. We love to hear the creative ways that people use the mass-transit system to the hotel and the surrounding areas. We're glad to hear that your trip into the DC area was a success!

I've shared your review with my team and they appreciate your kind words.
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

First thing that hurt was pool. Signs on website and signs in hall pays pool AND whirlpool.
WRONG-no whirlpool.. Next my room faced west. Huge cold draft at heat pump. Next coffee machine held about 6 ounces. Next single(me) travelers make little noise in halls at night, and everyone else talks like they own the place. Next I put hand PRINTED DO NOT DISTURB sign on door. Did no good.

Room Tip: Stay at Radisson near Largo Metro.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
CYNewCarrollton, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott New Carrollton Landover, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your response. I apologize that you did not find your stay more enjoyable. We are currently in the midst of renovations to the guest rooms and corridors. As part of that renovation, we will be enhancing the directional signage which will eliminate any further mention of a whirlpool.

Additionally, we are replacing our guest room doors, which we anticipate will help with sound dampening from the hallways. Again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Got it at Priceline for $58 per night for New Years Eve. Situated in an office park right between 2 interstates I-495 & Route 50, which is one of the main roads that go straight into downtown Washington, DC. I guess that because of the holiday the officepark was empty which created a very quiet surrounding. Parking not a problem, and security seemd to be doing regular rounds in cars around the hotel. Hotel is walking distance to the New Carrollton Metro Station so no reason not to tour the city. Hotel lobby was clean and modern with free Wi-Fi. The room was also clean and comfy with a mini refrigerator. I stayed on the first floor facing the courtyard and the room had a small patio with a couple of patio chairs that looked into the indoor pool area. Probably would have been nice to use in warmer weather. It's one of the nicer hotels in the immediate area and for the Priceline price a great bargan as well. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Inside courtyard view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott New Carrollton Landover? Share your experiences!