“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Garmisch, Germany
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Recently, I joined two friends at the Royal Tea Room in La Plata, MD for a Sunday afternoon tea. I wasn't expecting much as a "tea" makes me think of a formal event with a cup of tea and some scones. But, much to my surprise, I was quite pleased with the results. The Tea Room is in an old Victorian style house and was set up in an inviting manner with tables scattered throughout several rooms. We had reservations and were seated immediately. After selecting our flavor of tea, we were invited to pick out our teacups from a nice selection and were quickly served our tea followed by soup and salad The soup was delicious and the salad was nice and fresh with a tasty salad dressing. This was followed by a red velvet scone that was superb -- it melted in your mouth. Lastly, came a three tiered tray with finger sandwiches, hot savories, and sumptuous desserts. There was more than enough there to serve three people so after filling ourselves up, we each had a small box of leftovers to take home. The whole experience was quite nice and we agreed that we needed to come back another time. If you like afternoon teas, this is a great place to go and while you are there, check out the upstairs rooms for some shopping. It is jam packed with lovely items, some refurbished furniture and jewelry at quite reasonable prices.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

100% Recommend
“A Great Special-Occasion Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

My first trip to The Royal Tea Room was for a Mother's Day luncheon, and it was a wonderful treat. The five-course menu was perfect. Each course (soup, salad, scone, tea sandwiches, dessert) came with a different tea, and a story from Chef Betty of its inspiration. It was a lovely way to spend a couple of hours with my daughters. The food was excellent! The homemade chicken noodle soup was my choice and it was perfect. Both my daughters had the cream of crab; by far the best cream of crab soup we've ever tasted. Another particular favorite of mine was the blueberry scone. It was perfect!

I've since gone back for lunch and was once again pleased with the food and service. It's a small menu, but with a perfect variety of items. If you like bread pudding, you'll love Chef Betty's bread pudding.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Waldorf, Maryland
“The food was wonderful but the service was very slow.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

If we had not been on a time schedule it would have been fine. A group of us went for lunch, there were only two other parties so I really do not understand why the service was so slow. I could have understood if they were busy. However the food was wonderful, best crab cake I have had in a long time and the cream of crab soup was the best in the area. So overall it was great.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland
“Delicious tea and desserts, lovely experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I've visited the Royal Tea Room several times, usually for special occasions, and we've always had a marvelous experience. We went first for my grandmother's birthday and were blown away by the fabulous lunchtime menu -- sandwiches like the Monte Cristo, seafood, soups. A little something for everyone. The tea is great, of course, and those ordering it are treated to their own teapot and chance to choose their own teacup! A really cute touch. I recently took my boyfriend's mom, an avid tea drinker, and we were treated warmly -- even when we sat talking for several hours! The scones (with clotted cream!) are my favorite, and it's fun to do some light shopping after your meal. Very cute gifts. Highly recommend.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Clinton, Maryland
“Superb Tea Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

There were several choices of scones and soups. No request had to be made for more lemon curds, homemade constant comment jelly and homemade clotted cream. There is enough for two scones. A+ the bottomless pot of tea, try as many as you like, each pot steeped to perfection. And NO paper napkins! Chef Betty, has so many wonderful ideas about the menu and upcoming events. Small changes will make a BIG difference. There are still kinks to iron out but given time this will be a tea room that reservations will be coveted. I did not go home feeling hungry. The food was sufficient and it was tasty but most important HOMEMADE. Thanks Chef Betty and Staff!

Visited October 2011