“The Guides make all the difference!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 attractions in Knoxville
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: River and Trail Outfitters of Knoxville, Maryland has been family owned and operated since 1972. River and Trail offers guided and unguided white water and mellow water rafting, tubing, kayaking, canoeing trips as well as biking hiking, climbing and cross-country skiing in the historic and scenic Harpers Ferry, WV area. We also sell new and used canoes, kayaks and paddling accessories located in our shop. Check out our website for details on our various trips, ranging from our Paddle N Wine Tour to our Team Building
Bellport, New York
“The Guides make all the difference!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Great trip with great guides. Allison, the tour guide was the best, and so funny. I wish I could remember our raft guide's name but he was young and so experienced. He managed to give us a thrill that I don't think we would have gotten on any other rafting trip. The owner of this place must take great pride having this kind of talent working for the company. I recommend this tirp for sure and it's 4 hours of non stopy fun!!!

Visited August 2012
RiverTrailManager, Manager at River & Trail Outfitters, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We are so pleased you had a great trip! It sounds like the guide did everything we ask them to do with 1 exception: make sure the customer knows your name!

Please come back and see us!
John Gonano

Spring Valley, New York
“Great Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Went last week with my 2 boys. First time white water rafting for us. We all enjoyed it immensely. The day was picture perfect. teh river and surrounding natural scenery were beautiful and we had the best guide, Jake R., who was very knowledgeable on local history and animal life which was very interesting for me but more importantly, he knows like no one else how to manuever the raft which made it a blast for my boys.

Visited August 2012
RiverTrailManager, Manager at River & Trail Outfitters, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Nathan,

You are right , Jake is a great guide and super asset to our company! Glad you had a good time. Please come again. -John Gonano
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Great hosts for a bachelorette party!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I was part of a group of 10 girls who went to Harper's Ferry for a bachelorette weekend, where the main event was whitewater rafting with RTO. We all had an awesome time, not simply because it was a fun adventure, but more so because our guides were so personable and fun to spend a few hours with rafting down the Shenandoah. We all couldn't stop talking about how fun everyone we came into contact with was. Our driver, who provided transport to and from our hotel, recommended that we ask for Johnnie and Jason to guide out rafts for the trip. That ended up being fantastic advice because these 2 guys were so much fun. They took great care of us, and were super professional, leaving us with no reason to worry about the adventure we were on. We definitely wish we were staying to do more!

Visited August 2012
I heard about this group! Our company motto is, "It's their (the customer's) day!" It sounds like you had a good one! Thanks for commenting!
Frederick, Maryland
“Tubing and Biking Adventure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Thank you RTO for a fun filled day this past Saturday. This was my first time using River and Trail and I am very pleased with my experience. We, being myself, my son, his friend and friend's father, started the day with biking on the C & O Canel from Burnswick to Harpers Ferry and back. We grabbed lunch then headed off the the tubing part of the trip on the Potomac river. We all had a very good time. My adventure started with a Groupon offer. The reservation staff was very pleasent to work with, even with making a number of changes and even a last minute date change. Everyone that we had contact with from the biking check in to the tubing check in and pick up at the end of our float was very helpful. I would use River and Trail Outfitters again.

Jim,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you had a good time. When you come back ask for me!
John Gonano
South Riding, Virginia
26 attraction reviews
“Fun family day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We have always tubed on the Shenandoah. This year we decided on trying the Antietam Creek with River & Trail Outfitters. This outfit could work on their facilities, provided lunch, put in and take out spots but the ride down the Antietam Creek was so much fun we'd book with them again.

Their put in spot was on the side of the road, down a trail and under a bridge. It was fine but you had to watch your footing. I guess really that's pretty typical when you go tubing.

Their website says the water is "refreshing" which to me means cold! It was chilly but on a hot summer day, it felt great. This creek offers mellow "whitewater" which was a lot of fun and very suitable for our 7 & 8 y.o. niece and nephew. Don't let that their website says "Class 1 & 2" scare you. The pace of the creek varies and with the occassional ripples it was a lot of fun to float down.

We floated in and out of the trees for several hours. Then they offered lunch at the 1/2 way mark - 1/2 way down the creek, not based on time. We ate around 2:00 p.m. so make sure you have a snack on your way to the meeting spot in the morning. They provided lunch (a piece of fried chicken and scoop of potato salad) They actually ran out of food on this trip (something about the rafting trip that went out on the bus before us took the wrong container of food) and what was served was just ok. I'd actually pack my lunch or at least pack some snacks and give to the guide to carry in his canoe.

There are no facilities where you meet the group in the morning other than port-o-pots so it made changing into dry clothes a bit challenging at the end of the trip.

All in all I'd do it again.

Visited August 2012
Thanks for the informative commentary. It is helpful for us and future guests. We will use the information to improve the trip. When you come back , ask for me so I can personally thank you.
-John Gonano