“Great hosts for a bachelorette party!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Knoxville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: River and Trail Outfitters of Knoxville, Maryland has been family owned and operated since 1972. River and Trail offers guided and unguided white water and mellow water rafting, tubing, kayaking, canoeing trips as well as biking hiking, climbing and cross-country skiing in the historic and scenic Harpers Ferry, WV area. We also sell new and used canoes, kayaks and paddling accessories located in our shop. Check out our website for details on our various trips, ranging from our Paddle N Wine Tour to our Team Building
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Great hosts for a bachelorette party!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I was part of a group of 10 girls who went to Harper's Ferry for a bachelorette weekend, where the main event was whitewater rafting with RTO. We all had an awesome time, not simply because it was a fun adventure, but more so because our guides were so personable and fun to spend a few hours with rafting down the Shenandoah. We all couldn't stop talking about how fun everyone we came into contact with was. Our driver, who provided transport to and from our hotel, recommended that we ask for Johnnie and Jason to guide out rafts for the trip. That ended up being fantastic advice because these 2 guys were so much fun. They took great care of us, and were super professional, leaving us with no reason to worry about the adventure we were on. We definitely wish we were staying to do more!

Visited August 2012
RiverTrailManager, Manager at River & Trail Outfitters, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I heard about this group! Our company motto is, "It's their (the customer's) day!" It sounds like you had a good one! Thanks for commenting!

Frederick, Maryland
“Tubing and Biking Adventure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Thank you RTO for a fun filled day this past Saturday. This was my first time using River and Trail and I am very pleased with my experience. We, being myself, my son, his friend and friend's father, started the day with biking on the C & O Canel from Burnswick to Harpers Ferry and back. We grabbed lunch then headed off the the tubing part of the trip on the Potomac river. We all had a very good time. My adventure started with a Groupon offer. The reservation staff was very pleasent to work with, even with making a number of changes and even a last minute date change. Everyone that we had contact with from the biking check in to the tubing check in and pick up at the end of our float was very helpful. I would use River and Trail Outfitters again.

Jim,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you had a good time. When you come back ask for me!
John Gonano
South Riding, Virginia
28 attraction reviews
“Fun family day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We have always tubed on the Shenandoah. This year we decided on trying the Antietam Creek with River & Trail Outfitters. This outfit could work on their facilities, provided lunch, put in and take out spots but the ride down the Antietam Creek was so much fun we'd book with them again.

Their put in spot was on the side of the road, down a trail and under a bridge. It was fine but you had to watch your footing. I guess really that's pretty typical when you go tubing.

Their website says the water is "refreshing" which to me means cold! It was chilly but on a hot summer day, it felt great. This creek offers mellow "whitewater" which was a lot of fun and very suitable for our 7 & 8 y.o. niece and nephew. Don't let that their website says "Class 1 & 2" scare you. The pace of the creek varies and with the occassional ripples it was a lot of fun to float down.

We floated in and out of the trees for several hours. Then they offered lunch at the 1/2 way mark - 1/2 way down the creek, not based on time. We ate around 2:00 p.m. so make sure you have a snack on your way to the meeting spot in the morning. They provided lunch (a piece of fried chicken and scoop of potato salad) They actually ran out of food on this trip (something about the rafting trip that went out on the bus before us took the wrong container of food) and what was served was just ok. I'd actually pack my lunch or at least pack some snacks and give to the guide to carry in his canoe.

There are no facilities where you meet the group in the morning other than port-o-pots so it made changing into dry clothes a bit challenging at the end of the trip.

All in all I'd do it again.

Visited August 2012
Thanks for the informative commentary. It is helpful for us and future guests. We will use the information to improve the trip. When you come back , ask for me so I can personally thank you.
-John Gonano
Baltimore, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
“Fun on Antietam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had a great time tubing on Antietam Creek. This is a good introductory experience but I would recommend the shorter trip instead of the five hour trip. It was a little long for me. The guides were nice and great with the kids, but our group could have been split into two smaller groups of about 20 each and it would have been an even better trip.

Visited July 2012
RiverTrailManager, Manager at River & Trail Outfitters, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
We are happy you had a great time in the Antietam! Please come see us again!
Crofton, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
“Good fun, but disorganized...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

After using River Trail for a tubing trip about a year ago, and being that they were one of the ONLY DOG FRIENDLY outfitters in the area that we could find, we decided to go on a canoe trip with the pup. We opted for the full-day rental - 14 miles on the river - for somewhere around $60. We arrived on time, signed the paperwork and then waited...and waited...and waited. Finally we went back in to find out what we were supposed to do. Apparently we were supposed to be 10 minutes down the road at a parking area but because nobody told us we weren't there. We finally got there only to ask every single River Trail person around where we were supposed to go and get blank stares and "go talk to that guy" responses. After about 15-20 minutes someone finally figured out that our bus had left and they needed to get us down to the river. One guy was nice enough to take us - turns out it's like a 30 minute drive to get to the put-in!
The river itself was really low, and really warm. I probably won't opt to be on the river on the hottest day of the year next time... : D Once we got to the end we promptly got our things together and the canoe cleaned up...and waited, and waited... There were so many people, so many boats, and ONE VAN for everyone!!! It took several trips to get people back to the parking area. (BTW- if you follow the directions for the weekend parking area, once you get there walk over to the right (if you're facing the road) behind all the campers...that's where you need to be. RT fails to tell you this...) We'll go again, but remember to ask lots of questions.
All in all a good experience, but wish they would have communicated better. I was really happy they let me take the dog and didn't give us any fuss or charge extra.

Visited July 2012
I'm sorry your trip didn't go better. We will do our best to improve based upon your comments. If you would like to further discuss your trip you may call our main office and ask for, "John."