“good for a budget hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Knoxville
North East Engalnd
“good for a budget hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

the facility is clearly old, but quite comfortable. The rooms were shaded by trees in the morning which kept temperatures down which was good.Other than check in staff, who was a little 'surly' all other staff were very pleasant. Location very good for Harpers Ferry and some pleasant river frontage.

The breakfast offered was sufficient to start the day off.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Where to begin. My fiance and I were doing a huge hike on the Maryland AT - 42 miles in a single day - so we booked this hotel because it was the cheapest in the Harper's Ferry vicinity (except one in Charles Town, which had terrible reviews). As you might expect, we were pretty hungry when we finished the hike around 8:30 pm, so when we got to our car around 9, we just put on fresh clothes and went to a restaurant before checking in at the Knight's Inn - since there was nothing telling us in our confirmation email or the website that we had to check in by a particular time, we figured it was fine. We probably arrived a little after 10pm, exhausted and just ready for a shower and bed. Although the manager guy was at the desk, the front door was locked, so he had to come unlock it and let me in, which he seemed visibly annoyed about. I went in and told him we had a reservation, to which he responded exasperatedly, "You're lucky, I have *one room* left." Confused, I responded, "well, yes, given that we have a reservation, I would hope you'd still have our room open," at which point he said, in a really annoyed tone of voice, "Well, it's a little *late,* isn't it?" I said, "I'm sorry, I didn't realize we had to check in by a particular time." I also explained that we had just hiked 42 miles and were hungry, but that even if we hadn't gone to eat, we wouldn't have gotten there before 9 anyway. He just sighed in this really exaggerated way - no apology or intimation that he cared whether we had a nice stay - and gave us our keys.

That pretty much set the tone for our evening. The room was meh - faux wood floors, with no rugs or carpeting, so not particularly cozy, and the hot water in the shower kept going in and out, so it wasn't a particularly comforting shower (even after a grueling hike - when ANY shower should have felt good). There was also just one tiny packet of shampoo to share between the two of us. These are probably things we could have overlooked normally, but given our horrible first impression from the desk attendant, they stood out in our minds.

Checking out, I had to ring the bell several times before anyone came to attend to me (the manager was apparently outside talking on his cell phone) - a non-smiling woman who seemed just as apathetic and rude as the man from the night before. We didn't even bother with the "breakfast" - which, as far as I could tell, was some stale-looking cereal and coffee in the tiny room where the front desk is (there was only one table to even sit at). If for some reason you choose to stay here - but frankly, I'd spend $10-20 more and go someplace else - you're far better off driving into Charles Town and getting some french toast at the Mountain View Diner.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Mohit G, General Manager at Knights Inn Knoxville MD, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying here at Knights Inn, Knoxville, MD and taking out your valuable time to review our services and the property.
I see that you had to face some sort of inconvenience at both check in and check out to which I sincerely apologize. We usually lock the doors a little earlier to midnight because of security reasons but we are always there to attend our guests. We are never annoyed or worried to welcome our guests at any time and I'm sorry if in any ways the staff's gesture or behavior at any time felt unwelcoming to you.
I'll make sure to improve on the breakfast that we have to offer,too, and also upgrade the room settings to meet your expectations.
Your feedback is much appreciated and we hope to get a chance in near future to serve you better. We'd love to get additional comments from you, you may send them to knightsinnmd@gmail.com .
Ocean City, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

BEWARE! Family wedding, out of town. Near the wedding location this hotel was closest. Suggested by location only the family. Was told they were newly renovated. After waiting for 2 hrs & 15 minutes, watching the maid go in/out of each room removing linens knowing that the entire hotel was reserved for a wedding (probably 15 rooms total) they were completely unprepared. Finally got key, went to room to preview. Let me paint a picture...old man living in 1950's hotel room smoking a cigar. Yep, that's right CIGAR SMOKE. It was horrible. Knowing that we would be tired after driving 4 hrs., being at the reception all day we decided to take the room. However when the reception ended, we decided to drive home and not stay. It was unacceptable the conditions.

But wait, It gets even better...one of the other people in the wedding party's room. Same experience with check in. They freshen up, leave bags in room, go to reception, come back to hotel room and room key wouldn't work. After several attempts struggling with key, the door opens from the inside. Man says that in their room was a problem and manager put them in this room. When he asked where their personal effects were he was told they (the manager removed them!). Livid, they went to the managers/office desk and they bagged up in a trash bag their clothes and other personal items. He left in a rage and decided to drive home and not find another hotel nearby.

So there is not enough I can say other than I'd rather sleep in my car than stay here. No negative numbers could be used enough in the rating of this dump. I plan to take it further and write a letter to the company. This needs to be reported. BEWARE!

Room Tip: BEWARE! Stay anywhere else but this place!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Leaving NJ, a 2-1/2 hr. drive, took us to the Knights Inn in Knoxville, Maryland where I made a reservation online after viewing a few reviews & price. We arrived at the hotel around 11 am where we just wanted to just check in then go for breakfast knowing the room wasn't ready. No cars in the lot should have told me something !!! I went in because it was my CC that was used to book & there was no one in the teeny lobby which smelled, to me, like urine and Lysol. There was a large placard on top of the counter which said "push the button or dial 0". The phone was non existent & the face plate fell off of the button when pressed. I found out later the phone, dial zero was broken which meant you couldn't get the desk from the rooms. After yelling a boy, who looked to be 18, came to the lobby. When I told him I was there to check in but would be back later to get the keys, I showed him my print out from Knights Inn. He said the price was $7.50 more. Not understanding why, when I had the price confirm in hand which included tax, he couldn't explain in understandable English, therefore I didn't understand. I did understand when he said he was new & didn't know why, but that's what it was. Had an attitude, I understood that !!! My friend came in & we just said we would pay it. He knew how to ring up a sale though & after a few minutes he said the room would be ready at 2, which we knew, to come back with what I could understand, in a not so nice look & attitude. We got back at 2:40. Standing & yelling for someone to come to the lobby, to get the room # & keys, he seemed perturbed when he got downstairs. Got to the room & the person was still cleaning it !!! After waiting about 5/10 minutes we went in. The room was claustrophobic, for me, just big enough for 2 double beds & dresser, TV, small refrigerator & tiny microwave with enough space to walk from the door, between the beds & to the bathroom which was the "size of a refrigerator box". There were 2 towels, 2 washcloths, 1 floor mat, 1 extra roll of TP which was the cheapest, smallest roll I've seen & 1 soap the size of a 50 cent piece with 2 shampoos in pouches. My friend immediately asked the girl cleaning the next room for extra soap "chips" & towels. The first time I used the toilet I almost fell off because the seat wasn't well attached & very thin/cheap. The mattress was encased in plastic, which was uncomfortable & they only change the sheets. They re-use the blanket & spread, GROSS. Proof of that was seen in the piles of sheets outside of the rooms There was no ice machine on the premises but "conveniently" attached was a liquor store that sold ice, we didn't go there, but probably owned by the same family. I had to walk up to the office, to get the sign-on for wifi. because the in-room "dial 0" was broken & I told the kid about the toilet seat. He said it was probably because of all of the people that have rented the room. OMG, REALLY? No one came to fix it. Tub drained very slowly. No info in the room, no pen/pad, Bible, phonebook. Pamphlets on local attractions were in the stinky lobby. The sign in the lobby said continental breakfast was 6 to 9 am which looked to be 2 kinds of cereal, coffee & a waffle maker. My friend walked up at 9:05, the next day & the boy said it was closed, that there is coffee in the room. When she said she didn't like that type of coffee, could she please have a cup, he again got an attitude and said no. We were leaving anyway & left the room at 9:30 going to the lobby to turn the keys in. There was a family of 4 eating the breakfast. The check-in kid was there. The people invited us to join them, which was nice, but we said no thanks, we were leaving & did say 20 min. ago he wouldn't give us coffee !!!!! This was the third trip to this area, came for the Casino. Last time was a horrible mold infested place that I wrote to you about, The Towne House, which we called it Scum town & I did write to you about it & also wrote to the WV department of License & Inspection. We really like the Casino and thought it may be nice to get out of town & view the mountains. In the middle of the HEARTLAND, someone in the service industry should SPEAK & UNDERSTAND ENGLISH & be happy/nice & courteous When we left we saw a whole family, we guessed, going in & out of the side door of the lobby. If they were the owners they should not have left this property in a kids control. In two days we did not see another person or car near the lobby. We stayed 1 night Sunday & checked out Monday.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you are looking for anything but a bed. Bring your own soap & shampoo &a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Fremont, N.C
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Room was large and well appointed. The motel has some age, but our room was remodeled in the near past. Everything was clean, plenty of hot waterand towels. As a note, if you want maid service you need to put the hang tag on your door. Not a problem on a two night stay as we had plenty of towels etc. The young man at the desk was very pleasant and accomadating. Breakfast was as expected for a freebee and typical continental style. Not 5 star but none the less excellant for the price. Not the fault of the motel, but eating places are very scarce. Went to Bonnie's on the Sharpsburg Pike.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Abingdon, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here overnight during our visit to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. We checked in early, around 3pm, and went to shower off from tubing and take a nap. The first thing we noticed is that the room is very, very small. Upon heading to the shower, we realized we were also sharing this cramped space with at least 4 bugs, two of which were of the pinching variety. Once we were safely in the shower, the water cut out on us 6 minutes in. We waited 10 minutes before it gurgled and came back on. This happened every time we used the water, roughly 4 times during our stay. We suspect that the management is aware of these issues because there is a large sign warning: "no refunds once you are checked in." The only positives were that the bed was comfortable (although the sheets were stained) and the hotel was only 10 minutes from Harpers Ferry. For the price, we'll be staying elsewhere next trip.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Knights Inn Knoxville MD? Share your experiences!