I've stayed in quite a few hostels in various parts of the world and this is one of the ones that seems to have remained true to the original hostel spirit. .
1) ,The manager is very welcoming and helpful. (can't mention her name to give credit since you aren't allowed to mention names onTripAdvisor, unfortunately)
2) , it is in a rural setting and very quiet.
3) It has a very nice kitchen/common area. You can cook your own dinner here. There is only a small convenience store nearby with no much in it so you might want to bring things to cook if you're going to eat there. If you didn't bring any food the hostel does have a few items for sale such as mac & cheese & ramen soup.
4) Free pancake breakfast in the morning. -- if you like pancakes, that is.
5) Free WiFi and internet computer.
6) No TV! -- This is a huge plus. (Sadly, some hostels have put in a television and it generally completely ruins the atmosphere. A hostel is all about meeting other travelers, but once a TV is on, all conversation stops. ) Hats off to the hostel management for saying NO to television!
You can walk to the Harper's Ferry National Historic Park, a town that is sort of an indoor/outdoor museum of the revolutionary war / civil war era. It is two miles down the Appalachian trail.
There is also tent camping at the hostel. BUT, if you camp there you are not allowed to use the hostel facilities. This seems strange to me since the whole point of staying there is being able to enjoy the hostel and meet other travelers staying at the hostel.
We stayed in a private room which cost $45 (plus $5 extra for non-members). This seems like quite a lot for a hostel. But it is still worth it since it's a completely different experience than an impersonal motel.
The dorm, priced at $18 (member rate) is quite reasonable if you're a single traveler and don't mind sharing a room.
Although the focus of hostels has traditionally been young people, people of all ages are welcome.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, HostelWorld and Odigeo so you can book your HI Knoxville Harpers Ferry reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.