“It's nice for a Red Roof” 4 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Columbia / Fort Meade
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8000 Washington Boulevard, Jessup, MD 20794   |
Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Jessup
Dover, New Jersey
“It's nice for a Red Roof”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

As long as you are expecting the lack of frills that comes along with Red Roof in general, this hotel is fine. Stayed here for 1 night after a UMD football game. Room was clean, beds were comfortable. Wi-fi was flaky which was an annoyance. Not much in the surrounding neighborhood, but a decent number of shoppes and restaurants a few miles away in Columbia.Only compliant about other guest were people smoking (and blocking) on the steps to the 2nd floor when we were trying to leave in the morning.

All in all, worth the $65 we paid.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
RRI187MGR, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Columbia / Fort Meade, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Thank you very much for your response, we would like to apologize that this was not taken care of before you left our hotel. Our goal is to exceed our guests' expectations at every opportunity. In that regard please accepts our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with other guest blocking and smoking on the stairwell, I want you to know that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem that occurred during your stay to prevent any future occurrence. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Rockwood, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

we were there for a baseball clinic. we checked in late friday night got right to our room, the room was really clean, the air conditioning could be more quiet but we were exhausted after 9 hours of driving. Saturday night there was an argument late at night but everything was handled wonderful. if we ever go back we will stay again. plus DC was only 25 mins away plus doen the street was everything from food to stores.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for submitting a review on your stay. Glad you found our newly renovated rooms to be clean. We surely enjoyed serving you. We are committed to pleasing our guests. Thank you again and hope to see you on your next trip to Maryland.
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I booked this hotel online through Priceline for 9/28/2013, however, I arrived a day early and went over to see if I could get a room for the night. Seeing as I already had a booking for the following night I felt it would be very convenient if I could stay at the same motel. My experience with the front-desk 'manager' was rather interesting. I totally agree with the other reviewers. She came across as indifferent, condescending, nonchalant and almost as if she hated you and hated her job! I was taken aback. Needless to say I left because she couldn't give me a straight forward answer on if I could get a room for the night. I checked into a different motel in the same area.
I didn't not even bother going back there, and after my encounter with the manager and reading other reviews about safety concerns I decided to cancel my reservation. As far as security concerns I cannot speak on that, but I assume the other reviewers are pretty much accurate considering they were right about the manager.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Jessup hotels

Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I really scored with this place, completely by accident. Driving from NYC to Florida, with my 2 cats on labor day weekend, I was running up against poor odds of finding a room at all. I had already tried two places that were either sold out or did not take pets, but I lucked out with this gem.

First, the front desk assistant was extremely kind and accommodating, which was impressive, considering she had a labor day madhouse with a tour bus full of people who had stopped for the night. She competently multitasked, handing out water and calmly, explaining to one man that there wasn't a fax machine in his room (For some reason, he was incensed at this), and telling people about amenities, while still hooking me up with a room in record time. The room she gave me was the last one available, and I had the aforementioned cats in tow, so I wasn't expecting much. However, it turned out to be newly remodeled, with wooden floors, a microwave, flatscreen tv, minifridge, and desk area with multiple outlets for all of my gadgets. Also, the room and bathroom were pristine, which is, sadly, something that I have come to feel is a luxury in a budget hotel. Other reviewers have said that this hotel has safety issues, but during my stay the hotel was full of tourists, not unlike me. Still, it was nice to be able to park my car just outside my door so that I can hear my alarm go off if anything were to happen.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
RRI187MGR, Manager at Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Columbia / Fort Meade, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Red Roof Inn, Jessup, MD. We always enjoy hearing about the positive experiences our guests have at our hotels.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I echo the sentiments of other reviewers concerning safety. I stayed here a week and noticed trailor park types hanging outside, staring at customers and their cars.

I decided to park out front. I was amazed at the stories I heard about non customers hanging in the stairwells near elevators. Some homeless people hung out near the front parking lot and this was early morning.

My own experience--I was assigned a room on the third floor in the back. I heard (and when I looked outside my door, saw) the police come to the 3rd floor twice because of two drunk white men being loud, had his big tan dog scare people and run amuck without a leash (red roof supposed to have a weight limit to allowed pets--I will contact corporate); yelling swear words, telling details of his stories that no one wants to hear though you can hear through your wall. My room was near a stairwell near some out of place diner and I could hear these dirty drunkards from the other length of the floor. The front desk staff doesnt do any thing because they're scared of half the customers.

If you do stay here do not stay on the 1st or 3rd floor; your sleep will be disturbed nearly every night and your safety threatened by trailor park who mark the floors with foul behavior like its gang territory. I think the other reviewers are right these people live here because they ACT like it---the hotel is THEIR home and other guests don't have any rights to safety or peace and quiet after payong hard earned money for a service. This is totally unacceptable. You can tell the manager ONLY cares about money. This location severely tarnished Red Roof Inn's brand image. Do not stay here. If you have to use some points go to the BWI Red Roof or the one in Laurel between Cherry Hill lane and the exits to 295 south.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your response. I am sorry to hear that you did not have the experience that our guests have come to expect from our hotel. The safety of our guests are our top priority and I will investigate to find out what happened to cause you to be checked into an occupied room and will ensure that this is corrected for the future. I will also be sure to share the rest of your comments with our front desk staff as a training tool to improve our service. We appreciate you choosing us and hope that you will give us an opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Raneeka B.
Bryan, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Originally I booked a stay here for a whole week based on the reviews of other travelers -- it looked decent enough. When I checked in there was someone paying their "rent" in the lobby. The first floor had a couple of units where the people were milling around outside with several small kids -- one had a tricycle and some outside toys. Overall, I had the impression that people lived here. The room itself was recently remodeled but smelled heavily of cigarette smoke and alcohol. It smelled like someone had spilled a bottle or two of cheap wine though I could not find any evidence of it. We had requested a fridge and a microwave that were both in the room. They were clean but very small. There was not a coffee pot or a hair dryer in the room. I'm not sure if this is typical of this chain or not. The morning we checked out, there was a man lingering in the walkway who approached us about buying a GPS from him -- when told no, he asked for money -- when told no, he moved on to another person leaving the hotel. When I checked in, I paid for 6 nights -- stayed 1. When I checked out, the office staff did not give me any grief about refunding the nights I did not use. This experience may be due to the area of Jessup, MD -- I am not sure as this was my first trip to the area; however, based on this experience, I most likely will not stay at this chain again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your response. I am sorry to hear that you did not have the experience that our guests have come to expect from our hotel. The safety of our guests are our top priority and I will investigate! We do have guest that stay long term at our property, most are very friendly and harmless, and this has come to be their temporary home. I will share your concerns and the rest of your comments with all my staff as a training tool to improve our service. We appreciate you choosing us and hope that you will give us an opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Raneeka Boulhassane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here over one weekend. It was a terrible experience. She has an odd wide eyed crazy look and stares at each person as if she hates her job and doesn't want to wait on you. She was incompetent and had no answers for any questions regarding amenities, change for money, lack of supplies in the room. Her response was rude and condescending thinly veiled arrogance even though SHE was unorganized and ill-prepared for the guests. My stay would've been fine if she was NOT the front desk person.

Lots of ghetto men bothering random guests.

Prison on 175, how fitting.

• Stayed August 2013
I appreciate your concerns, and I truly apologize for the experience you had here, I’m sure the front desk person may have meant well, but unfortunately it fell below your standards and for that I truly hope you except my apology on behalf of my entire staff.

It is always our number one priority to satisfy our customers and deliver exceptional customer service.

I have taken some additional training steps to avoid this from happening with you or any other valued guest that stay with us. I hope to not lose you as a guest.

If you would like to speak with me further about this situation please feel free to contact me via email or at the property.

Raneeka B.
GM

Been to Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Columbia / Fort Meade? Share your experiences!