“Visiting Merriweather Post Pavilion? - There is no concert shuttle!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup

Special Offer
Save 20%
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Jessup
Indianapolis, IN
“Visiting Merriweather Post Pavilion? - There is no concert shuttle!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I booked this hotel because they claimed to offer shuttle service to and from the Merriweather Post Pavilion (the entire reason for my hotel stay). On the Merriweather Post Pavilion website the hotel ad says:

"Holiday Inn Columbia East-Jessup is please to offer shuttle service to and from Merriweather Post Pavilion for the 2014 concert and event series. Transportation schedule is based upon the specific concert or event and will run on the hour. Please contact our front desk to reserve shuttle times, availability is limited and not guaranteed."

This is the only reason I chose to stay at this hotel. I normally use Priceline or Hotwire when choosing hotels, however because I like Holiday Inn's and the fact that they offered transportation to and from the concert venue I choose to book directly with the hotel and pay the full 116.00 rate. I could have booked a similar category hotel for 60-70$ on hotwire. As soon as we checked in I said that we would like to sign up for the shuttle to the Merriweather Post Pavilion. The front desk said that there was no shuttle scheduled that day, and even when they do shuttles to Merriweather they only drop off and do not pick up because the shuttle driver does not stay that late. They claim that the fact that "availability is limited and not guaranteed" means they don't have to have a shuttle at all. A total cop-out! What a bait and switch if you ask me. I told the clerk the entire reason I booked with this hotel is because they advertised on the concert venue's website and offered a "special rate". Indeed my folio says under company: Merriweather Post Pavilion, so they knew I was coming for a concert!! I was told they would speak to the manager and see what they could do in way of reimbursement. I then showed the front desk the very ad from their hotel on Merriweather's website and she made notes (I'm assuming so they would correct the information). I have a degree in Travel & Tourism, and work in the industry. If this hotel wants to court people attending concerts in the area by saying they have a shuttle for the entire 2014 concert series and a special rate for concert-goers they should live up to their sales pitch, which they clearly did not. They need to revise their ad on the Merriweather Post Pavilion website, and eliminate any reference to offering a shuttle "To and from" the venue.

In the hotel's defense:
This hotel is a 15$-20$ cab ride from Merriweather Post Pavilion. The staff were nice. The hotel has been remodeled and is clean and very nice. My poor rating is because I booked it solely based on the pitch of a free shuttle both to and from the venue. I could have gotten a cheaper hotel room elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear M S,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. We are so pleased you liked the cleanliness of our hotel. Please accept our sincerest apology for the over-all issues you had and and inconvenience you may have encountered that fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Suffern ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Overnight for a local concert. They advertise a shuttle service to merriweather pavilion but unfortunately it was not running the night we went. No worries, the concert hall was only about 15 mins drive and had ample parking. Hotel was clean. Front desk staff helpful and nice. Lemon water available in lobby. They serve a nice breakfast buffet for $13. Includes omelet station and waffles. We had a 2 room suite because it was only a little but more $. Was great! Bedroom and separate seating room to watch television, a mini fridge, microwave and 2 bathrooms! We would def go back!

Stayed July 2014
Groove City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The purpose of my trip was business/family time. Business for my daughter who was joining the Air Force (I salute her) and family time for me and my husband to be there to support her. When you first walk in the hotel the front desk, restaurant, mini bar, etc. is there to greet you. Really nice set-up. Check-in was painless. The rooms were nice, clean, roomy - overall great room. We received two breakfast tickets because my husband had a discount card.

Breakfast is on time meaning if they said they are closing down at ten o' clock you better believe that they are starting to shut down at ten. We arrived at five minutes till ten and they let us grab something to eat, which was really nice of them. The food was okay, nothing to brag about, they probably had more to offer if we got there a little earlier (i am not sure).

If I am in that area again, I would stay at this hotel.

Oh one more thing - I love the set-up that they have for the doors instead of the sign hanging saying do not disturb they have buttons you can push and they even have a door bell. Loved it!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Above average for cleanliness and service. Lobby and common areas are new looking. Breakfast is extensive including cooked to order omelets, many meats, fruit, waffles and pancakes etc.

Good right off the highway location. It is basically in and industrial/truck stop area. Ther is a burger king, diner and Mexican restaurant within two blocks walking distance. Shopping center with a dollar store, grocery, liquor store etc. across the street.

Room Tip: Stay on the back of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

My family recently stayed at this property with my son's soccer team. Overall the stay was OK. There is some room for improvement. First the good. The staff we interacted with was fantastic. We arrived late and were all tired and worn out from a long drive with lots of traffic. The gentleman who checked us in was working the night shift. I did not get his name but he was very friendly, courteous and professional. It was nice to have a warm fact to greet us. Even the security guard that had to come out to the poolside and let us parents know it was time to leave the pool area because it was closed was very nice and respectful. He was doing his job and no harm no foul and he had a nice personality.

Now the not so good. The room was not fully cleaned prior to our arrival. My daughter found a bottle cap from a beer behind the chair, it also looked like that area had not been vacuumed recently, the trash was not emptied daily during the housekeeping service. The tub would not drain properly and we had to wait around 10 minutes before the next person could take a shower without standing in water.

Our room did not have a microwave like some others did on the same floor. The rooms were identical in size, on the same floor and had the same rate.

It would have been nice for a free continental breakfast but it is what it is.

On check-out the woman did reduce our total cost a little for our stay. Overall I'd say it was OK. I'm not sure I would stay here again, but if you are looking for an OK room close to the highway and DC this whould be OK.

Room Tip: If you are not happy let them know and I'm sure they will help you out.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Great staff. Updated and clean rooms. Restaurant in the lobby is good but it has to be the slowest place on the planet. As with all Holiday Inn's breakfast is not included with the room rate. The reason I did not give this place 5 stars is due the service of the Restaurant the hotel and rooms are outstanding.

Room Tip: If you are a gold or platinum member request the club floor. The military houses people awaiting ME...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

This hotel was clean, modern up to date, and had many amenities usually found in bigger properties. The room was spacious, bed was comfortable and the staff went out of their way to serve their customers, especially Ayaz. He was really outstanding. Highly recommend this property for groups or leisure travel. Prices were reasonable as well.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup? Share your experiences!