“Holiday Hit or Miss” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Jessup
Tampa, Florida
“Holiday Hit or Miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were forewarned of the construction; however, didn't know it was as extensive until we arrived. Upon arrival, there was a small line with only one receptionist checking people in for about 10 minutes. The gentleman at the makeshift front desk did not acknowledge any patrons that arrived. Another receptionist showed up and was apologetic for the long line and asked for our patience. The rooms were an escape from the construction, which was a relief. The breakfast was powdered scrambled eggs, too salty bacon, cold hard boiled eggs, cereals and sausage. It was just okay. Some of the front desk staff were friendly, some not so much. Overall, it was adequate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear psharpton,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the ongoing construction during your stay as well as for any shortcomings from our staff. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, L
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Given that we were there for the Presential inauguration, affordable rooms were in short supply. I chose the Holiday Inn Coumbia because I was using Priority Club points and we were going t have a car, so it did not matter that we were 45 minutes from DC. It was also a plus that the website indicated that rooms had recently been renovated. But, the website did not indicate that the hotel is still under construction.

The hotel room was nice, and looked as pictured on the website. Most of my disappointment was not regardin the room - but rather the hotel and staff. When we initially ariived, I was confused by where to find the hotel entrance. Due to construction, the check-in area has been relocated to the back side of the hotel. The hotel desk consists of one small desk area staffed by two people who barely had enough room to operate. I can understand having to relocate the desk during construction. So no complaint about that. But it seems that desk could have more space for two guests to check-in / out at the same time. Also, I thought the staff's attitude was lackluster. Not rude - just not warm and inviting. No apology for the construction zone, or even an explanation. My "gift" for being a Priority Club member was a bottle of water. (The kind I buy at Dollar Tree.) I even had to ask for one for my husband.

Dining: This location does not offer a free breakfast. On Sunday my husband and I had brunch in the "restaurant". It really looked like a meeting area with tables in it. People were sitting and eating but it wasn't clear when we arrived if we were to wait for a hostelss or seat ourselves. The employees were not in uniforms, so we had to ask another patron to identify who was working. Then we had to track down an employee to ask the buffet price. The food was basic breakfast buffet with an omelette / waffle station. It did not seem that the few employees that I saw were proficient at food service.We had to wait quite awhile for our omelettes. The best that I can say about the dining option is that the price was low and it was onsite. After that, we ate at restaurants in the area.

Room: Again the room was recently renovated. It was very modern and nicely appointed. Lots of outlets. Nothing fancy but very functional and clean. The bathroom has good room, but did not have any wall racks for wet towels.

Location: Free parking. You definitely need a car. There is a strip mall across the street with a few food options and a liquor store. The malls and restaurants in Columbia are an easy drive and about 15 minutes away. Very convenient to the highway. Other than that, nothing special about the area.

Atmospere: The room and hallways were quiet. The "lobby" was clean with new furniture. We arrived on Saturday, so there was construction going on at the time. Monday morninq was quite different. All the banging and hustle bustle that one would expect with construction.

So, as I said, the room was quite nice. And, the hotel may be really nice when the construction is done. I wouldn't count the Holiday Inn Columbia out, but I suggest waiting until the construction is completed. In the meantime, the Management should consider offering the guests something to thank them for staying during this construction time. And the desk staff should add a little perk and sparkle to their customer interactions.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
hicolumbia, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your review of our newly renovated spaces at Holiday Inn Columbia. I certainly appreciate that you selected us for your Presidential Inauguration experience and that you stayed with us while the HUB at Holiday Inn Columbia is being added to the hotel. Our renovation of the HUB will complete at the end of February 2013, so I hope that you have the opportunity to return to our exciting new hotel.
As a hotel team we enjoy the opportunity to serve and provide a positive experience to our guests. On behalf of our team, I offer a sincere apology for the "lackluster" attitude that you received during your visit; this is not the typical service culture that we strive for at the Holiday Inn Columbia.
Again thank you for the review of our hotel and please do not hesitate to stay with us during your next visit to the area.

At your service,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This Holiday Inn is currently under reconstruction, but I really enjoy staying at this hotel. The breakfast is very good and they actually serve real eggs. The people that work here are super friendly and very helpful. I travel a lot in this area and I have tried different hotels, but this one beats all the other hotels hands down. This is my hotel of choice and will be for the years to come. Once they get the "Hub" up and running it will definitely give you a more pleasant experience.

Room Tip: The fourth floor is the best floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your observation of our hotel team and for having us as your hotel of choice.

We share in your excitement for the HUB and look forward to your next experience with us. If you have the opportunity, please join us on Wednesday evening for our Priority Club Reception. During the reception you can unwind with good eats, games, snacks and conversation.

Joppa, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Re-locating to Baltimore Md because of new employment, and stayed here with the family to look for housing. The HI was under renovation and rooms were readily available. I planned for a three day, that turned into five while searching for living quarters. The staff was the best and attended to our needs. Room was spacious for four and very clean. Lounge/Restaurant in the lobby was in a great location for food and drinks.
I would stay again if necessary.

Room Tip: I prefer to stay on the 2nd or third floor over looking the parking lot.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us during your relocation and for your kind words about our hotel team.

Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed here for four nights due to a business meeting at the property. I was a little hesitant at first because I would not typically choose a Holiday Inn especially one directly across from a prison. It is a decent ride from BWI. This property has renovated all of the guest rooms within the last year. They did a superb job with this portion of the remodel. The lobby, restaurant/bar, and commons areas are still freshly underway with their part of the remodel. The registration desk is at a temporary table at the rear entrance due to the construction. Overall, the staff was nice, the rooms were modern and very comfortable, and the beer was cold. Dining in the immediate area is scarce. There is a Starbucks directly across the street. Most of the dining options are a few miles away (all the big chains) along with several retail options. The other downfall is the street noise as this property is located at what appeared to be a very busy intersection. Outside of the few minor issues and the remodeling I would probably recommend this property to a friends or colleagues.

• Stayed December 2012
hicolumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit and the kind words regarding your stay. We are very excited for the completion of our lobby, restaurant and lounge renovation. When finished, we will be one of 20 hotels in the world to have the Hub at Holiday Inn implemented. This great concept coupled with our already renovated guest rooms and other guest facilities will give you even more reason to stay with us. We look forward to your return when you visit our area again!

Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had such a great experience I had at the Holiday Inn this weekend. I was in Maryland to visit my son and the staff at the Holiday Inn Columbia made my stay turn out much better than it could have been. I was unable to print my boarding pass because of the time change this weekend. Ayaz was able to help me get on line and then was willing to print it for me since I was not going to be at the hotel at the time that it needed to be done. When I got back to the hotel my boarding pass was waiting for me. He was helpful, courteous and never made me feel that I was a bother. No worries.
Then on Sunday morning I had a terrible thing happen. I dropped a necklace into the sink and it went down the drain. It wasn't just any necklace. It had the diamond from my mother's wedding ring on it. I was heartsick and terrified that I had lost that little bit of my mother that I try to keep with me. Ayaz immediately contacted Lawrence and he quickly came to my room, took apart the plumbing and retrieved my necklace. I told him that I did not have much cash with me, but that I wanted to give him something to repay him. I asked for his name so I could send him something. He said that was not necessary. I was only able to learn his name when I asked at the front desk.
These two fine men really made my stay there wonderful.
People often contact managers to complain. I am writing this review to let you know that the staff at the Holiday Inn Columbia (especially Ayaz and Lawrence) are wonderful and I will stay at your hotel the next time I'm visiting my son in Maryland.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
hicolumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Carol -

Thank you so much for the kind words regarding our hotel, especially Ayaz and Lawrence. I will make sure that they hear your feedback and are recognized for their service. We love forward to taking care of you again when you return to visit your son!

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Great hotel in this area. Excellent fitness room with equipment that is not broke down. Comfortable beds and a nice deck and pool area. The breakfast buffet is good and the staff was very friendly during my entire stay.

Room Tip: Top floor is very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
hicolumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for the great review! We hope to see you again when your travels bring you to our area!!!

Jack Warner

Been to Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup? Share your experiences!