“Very Good Extended Stay Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Columbia - Laurel - Ft. Meade

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Columbia - Laurel - Ft. Meade to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Columbia - Laurel - Ft. Meade
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8550 Washington Blvd, Jessup, MD 21046   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #5 of 8 hotels in Jessup
Laurel, Maryland
“Very Good Extended Stay Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I've stayed her for over a year now so, I know this place well. I've found it to be a very nice Extended Stay hotel.

The rooms have twin burner stoves, a full fridge, complete sets of pots and pans as well as plates and bowls. Also, they supply 2 sets of silverware and cooking utensils. This can save you money as you can cook your own meals.

The hotel offers free WiFi though they offer 2 types of WiFi. The free WiFi is what they call WiFi light. The speed is around 85k per second. They offer a WiFi that is 2 and 1/2 times faster but, you will have to pay up to $20 a month for it. In order to use it, you'll have to get a code which changes monthly from the reception desk.

Also, the hotel offers a laundry room where you can wash your clothes for $2 a wash and $2 to dry. The reception desk can sell you quarters if you don't have them.

Maid service wise, you get once a week maid service. I've found they do a fine job.

If you have any problems, I've found the folks at reception very helpful particularly Paula, Josephine and the manager Claudia.

Parking is adequate and Karim does a fantastic job of salting the sidewalks if it snows.

The location is very handy as it's 2 or 3 minutes from Maryland 32 which will take you to Maryland 295 - the Baltimore Washington Parkway or Interstate 95 or Interstate 70.

If you don't feel like cooking, the hotel offers a service where you can order food and, they'll deliver it to your room. If you find that pricey, there is a Dunkin Donuts about 500 feet away. A McDonald's, Subway shop, pizza shop and Chinese food shop are all within walking distance of the hotel.

The hotel does welcome pets though I can't tell you how that works.

Overall, I've been very pleased with this Extended Stay. I've seen reviews where people dissed the place. I don't know what happened with their stays. I've found this hotel to very responsive to any problems guests have. If you're in the Jessup/Columbia/Laurel area, this Extended Stay is worth considering.

Room Tip: The very best rates are offered to those who can stay for a long time i.e. minimum 2 month stay. I...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Crofton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stayed here for a month waiting to close on our house. I was a bit worried from other reviews I have read, but it was not near as bad as some of the reviews. Maria is great at making sure you room is clean. We always knew when she cleaned our room as it smelled great every time. Karim is very friendly and always working hard. We had a lot of snow when we stayed here and he was always making sure the walks were cleared and the stairways were cleaned from all the snow tracked in. He was always trying to help us carry stuff up to our rooms as well.
Our only complaint is that as pet owners who clean up after our pets, we were disappointed in others staying here that did not clean up after their pets. Not sure what the staff can do about that as they should not have to clean it up, but it was really gross trying to find places to walk our dog without having to look for doggy land mines.
And we would love to have an oven in the room. I have an indoor grill so that helped with dinners and not having to eat out all the time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Laurel - Ft. Meade, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Jodie – Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed our staff, especially Maria and Karim. I will be sure to pass your comments along to them. Still, I apologize that you were inconvenienced by guests who had not cleaned up after their pets. We will consider your feedback as we continue to improve our guest experience.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

The staff here is very friendly and welcoming. Karim went out of his way to ensure that my fiance' and I had all we needed and that we were comfortable. There was a severe snow storm while we were staying here and Karim even went as far as to assist in helping me clean off my car. Housekeeping was very friendly and made sure we had everything we needed. The front desk staff was friendly and always responded to my calls or requests.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Laurel - Ft. Meade, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m thrilled that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. Customer service is a top priority of ours, so I am glad that we were able to meet this goal.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I travel to Maryland once or twice per month for 3 or 4 days at a clip. I stay in hotels all over. This was by far the worst place I have ever stayed across the country. I had prepaid for 3 nights and arrived just after midnight. There was no night desk person on duty. We were met by the night laundry person who spoke no English, who kept insisting that I give him my credit card and pay again for the room. Then he began yelling at me to write the name of my business on the paper and would not give me the key until I wrote down who I worked for. I am self-employed. I showed him my receipt of payment on my IPAD screen to prove I had paid for the room. I am not sure how I finally convinced this man who spoke no English that I had already paid. By this point it is nearly 1 a.m. and I have to be up at 6 a.m. for a full day of work and studies. They advertised "breakfast" on the booking site. That breakfast consisted of empty coffee carafes, no food other than oatmeal packets and sweet stale muffins and danishes on an end-table type table. The maintenance person began spraying chemical sprays all over the open spot with the paper coffee cups and open danish container to wipe up the spilled sugar and the spray was going all over everything. When I addressed the issue of the check in, we were told that this was the laundry person and they do not have night time desk staff ever. had I know this, I would not have booked or paid for this room. I told them the phone did not work, the sink clogged and the room stunk from the smoking in the room next door coming through the walls. The person said, "I'm sorry" and that was that. Nothing was fixed, nothing changed, and we were not moved to a different room. Housekeeping never once emptied the trash or left clean linens or replaced the missing dish soap. There is no complementary shampoo or anything, so you will have to pack everything with you to take there including a plunger and Draino. The shower leaked all over the floor and the room was filthy. The bed was terrible. All in all, this was one of the worst places I have ever stayed in. This was a lot of money for nothing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Columbia, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This place made me very nervous. The area just isn't that great and there were always a group of Mexicans hanging out outside, usually drinking. There's a liquor store immediately next door to the hotel(or 4 more within a mile if you want variety). I don't drink, but I can see why most people here seem to. A visibly drunk man stormed through the hotel threatening to beat someone up and went off searching for that person. As far as the hotel itself, customer service is very slow. Upon trying to check in, we waited ten minutes for someone to come out of the back room. The rooms aren't as good as other extended stays I've been to. They have smaller closets, smaller kitchens, no oven, less burners, hard to reach cupboards, and no mirrors outside bathroom, awkward bathroom door placement(opening it blocks anyone from being able to walk into the kitchen or get to the door). The hotel is directly by the main road so you constantly hear traffic. The breakfast bar is extremely small and there's no room or tables to sit anywhere.

• Stayed September 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Laurel - Ft. Meade, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that we were unable to meet that goal during your stay. We will review your comments with our staff in an effort to improve the service we provide to our guest to ensure a safe and comfortable stay. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.We hope to be of service to you again in the future and hopefully then be able to provide you with a great experience.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Shazia and her staff made me feel welcome and comfortable. They pay attention to details and went out of their way to give excellent customer service. The room was clean, bed comfy, and plenty of towels.

• Stayed July 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Laurel - Ft. Meade, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. It's great to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

As someone who works in hospitality, I know how important it is to treat a customer with respect and kindness. I definitely did not experience that at this hotel. I am a very easy going and laid back customer but this place infuriated me so badly that I am writing this review.
When I came to check in, one of the maintenance workers was washing sheets in a back room and eventually came out and asked me what I wanted. After I explained that I was there to check in, he shuffled papers around and looked really confused. He gave me another person's reservation and I told him that it was wrong. He kept looking around and finally came across a paper with my name on it. Then he asked me for my credit card but I refused to give it to him after he already seemed so confused and told him that I would give it to a front desk clerk the following day if they still needed it. Nobody ever asked me for a card again after that.
The next morning, a maintenance worker banged on my door as I was getting out of the shower and demanded that I leave my hotel room immediately. When I explained to him that I had a reservation for 2 more days he shouted at me and insisted that I grab my belongings and go to speak to the front desk attendant. When I reached the front desk, another customer was arguing with the attendant as the same thing had just happened to him. I made my room reservations on the actual hotel website and the woman continued to try and make me leave because of overbooking. She finally said that she would have to speak with her manager and call other hotels in the area to try and find an available room for me. She advised me to go back to my room and wait for her to call me and let me know what would be happening with my reservations and she had to revalidate my room key since she locked me out when I came down to the desk to sort things out. After waiting 2 hours, I never heard back from anyone from the front desk.

The only positive customer service that I had was from the lady who checked me out. She was very kind and personable. Other than that I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Columbia - Laurel - Ft. Meade, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Casie - The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. Please know that we are sincerely sorry about this negative experience beginning with the fact your check-in process was not smooth and efficient. After reading your comments on how our staff approached you while in your room I would like you to know we are going through additional training to make sure your experience is not repeated. There is no excuse as to why there were so many misunderstandings and lack of communication during your stay. But please be assured your feedback is very important to us, so we thank you for sharing.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at bll@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Been to Extended Stay America - Columbia - Laurel - Ft. Meade? Share your experiences!