“Just me” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Jessup/Baltimore Area

You added Super 8 Jessup/Baltimore Area to your Saves list
Super 8 Jessup/Baltimore Area
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   8094 Washington Blvd., US Hwy 1 and Rd 175, Jessup, MD 20794   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Jessup
HOUSTON
“Just me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Decent hotel. Clean towels and linens. Parking lot is very small. Coffee was weak and 8 item continental breakfast left a lot to be desired. Cable had decent channels, but DVR was disabled even on local programming. Check was delayed for an hour to "clean" room on 1st floor, yet no-one entered room to clean it. Close to restaurants and DC. But rush hour traffic to DC is horrendous.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Freeport, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

As far as Super 8 Motels go, this one was average. No one was at the desk when I arrived to check in, so there was a 15 minute wait, but when the Manager arrived he was apologetic and polite. Check-in went well. Room was clean with fridge and microwave. Heater ran all night on high just to make the room comfortably warm. The small parking lot on a hill just above a major highway posed a special challenge the day of my departure due to a huge snowstorm (2.13.14). But the manager provided a shovel and I was able to get to my HazMat Employee and RCRA Training Seminar (Daniels Training Services) on time. Continental breakfast was cold cereal, pastries, and coffee. I'll stay here again when I return to the Baltimore/Jessup, MD area.

Room Tip: If staying in winter or during potential for storm, position your car the night before for a good ex...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HOUSTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Great location. Clean. Smells good and even towels smell clean. Microwave and small refrigerator. Parking lot is small, but variety of cable channels make up for this.Only problem was I requested a 1st level room and was given 2nd floor. I was told no rooms available on 1st floor. Yet I checked after midnight and 3 rooms were not used that night or next night. But overall hood location and price. But if you have knee problems and request 1st floor, get ready to climb stairs.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dover, New Hampshire
1,597 helpful votes 1,597 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

DAY 1
Upon arrival, I noticed that the hotel was on a hill and was pretty close to Washington Blvd. which is a five-lane highway with two travel lanes in each direction plus a center lane for turns.

Check-in went as expected. I arrived early and asked if I could check in before the 3:00 PM stated on the website. I explained that I was very tired. I was allowed to go through the check-in process, but I was not given my key card or allowed into the room. The compromise was 2:30 PM.

Leaving the office, I noticed that the continental breakfast was served off a narrow counter in the office. There was no seating there. There were two cereal dispensers, a toaster, and a serving case for toasting breads and room for only a coffee carafe and a juice dispenser on the counter. It was THE MOST MISERLY BREAKFAST OFFERING I'VE EVER SEEN IN ANY WYNDHAM CHAIN HOTEL. I started planning BREAKFAST OUT ELSEWHERE.

Meanwhile, I did local sightseeing and shopping. Then, I had a late lunch at Mid Atlantic Seafood at 13718 Baltimore Ave. in nearby Laurel, MD. See my review.

When I returned to the Super 8 just before 3:00 PM, I was allowed into Room 116 which was at the OPPOSITE END OF THE HOTEL FROM THE OFFICE. My online reservation had a special request that said: 1st FLOOR ROOM PLEASE---KNEE PROBLEM. Room 116 was elevated at the stairwell one story above the parking spaces near it. I had to park near the office and walk all the way over there. It got old fast.

As soon as I stepped inside, an OVERPOWERING ODOR of CLEANING CHEMICALS and DEODORIZER ASSAULTED MY NOSTRILS. I had to air out the room by leaving the door open while I made two more trips back and forth to/from the rental car to get my luggage and carry-on.

Once in the room, I looked to my left and spotted the LARGE PICTURE WINDOW THAT FACED THE REAR OF A DERELICT PROPERTY and its DILAPIDATED STAIRCASE ABOUT 30 FEET AWAY. I closed the draperies. I should have taken a photo to post on this website.

Next, I heard an ENDLESS, RAPID TICK-TICK-TICK sound. I traced it to a small box on the BACK OF THE REFRIGERATOR. It was NOT the refrigerator motor; it appeared to be attached to the freezer compartment.

I went to the office. I asked to have the refrigerator replaced. The owner said he could not do it alone. I'd have to wait until morning when he would have assistance. He said to unplug it. I asked for a room transfer. That request was denied, claiming there were no other available rooms on the first floor. The next morning I noticed only 6 or 7 cars in the parking lot, so I question the accuracy of that statement.

SO, I WAS STUCK WITH THIS PLACE FOR TWO NIGHTS BECAUSE IT WAS THEN AFTER 4:00 PM; AND, WYNDHAM HOTELS REQUIRE CANCELLATION MORE THAN 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE.

Was there anything good about this hotel? Yes.
1) The room was clean enough.
2) The updated bed cover was attractive.
3) The bed was comfortable.
4) The A/C worked and did not have loud motor.
5) I liked the small table with two chairs instead of a desk up against the wall because that set-up enabled me to watched news and weather while working on my itinerary for the following day.

So, I went to bed about 4:15 PM. Traffic on the highway kept me awake awhile; but, I was so tired that I fell asleep from exhaustion and became oblivious to traffic noise. When I awoke later about 12:30 AM, I did notice that traffic noise just about disappeared. It remained quiet until nearly 4:30 AM when trucking noise started, followed by increasing vehicular traffic after 5:00 AM.

DAY 2
I left for breakfast a short distance down the street at Frank's Diner. Very good. Read my review.

Then, I left on my daytrip.

When I returned at 7:00 PM, nothing had changed. The unplugged refrigerator was still sitting there. I was glad that the fruit snacks I had did not require refrigeration. I would have liked to have my bottled water cold as the weather was over 85 F and humid.

Again, I took a nap. When I got up later, traffic quieted down after midnight.

I got a decent night's sleep until 5:45 AM when BLARING RAP (I won't call it music) SHATTERED MY SLEEP and MY EARDRUMS. It was as though the SPEAKERS WERE IN MY ROOM AND PLACED NEXT TO MY RIGHT EAR. I jumped about a foot off the mattress. I IMMEDIATELY CALLED THE FRONT DESK. The night man was still on duty. He said that he heard it and that he was just leaving the office to locate the source of the deafening noise and to tell the person to shut it off. All was quiet about one minute later. THE NIGHT MAN DID A GOOD JOB ON THAT PROBLEM. His swift action partially counteracted the inferior customer service on other matters.

Since I was up so early, I decided to have some cereal from the office. There was a bonus in the refrigerator. This Super 8 served small cups of Activia yogurt. Those items and a small banana that I'd purchased at a local supermarket made a good enough breakfast for Day 2 as I planned a nice lunch in my next location of Solomons, MD. See my reviews of The Captain's Table and Calvert Marine Museum there.

Overall, I was not impressed with this hotel. I doubt that I'd stay there again. There are dozens of hotels in that area, including two more Super 8's.

I'd selected this one quickly as part of Plan B for my vacation. Plan A was to Washington, DC; but, with all the national parks sites closed, I decided on Maryland, and this hotel was about halfway between Baltimore and Solomons/Calvert County---my two primary destinations in Maryland under my alternate itinerary.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Super 8 Jessup/Baltimore Area? Share your experiences!