“Excellent food at a reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 122 Restaurants in Hyattsville
Cuisines: Ethiopian
MD
“Excellent food at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

After driving by Shagga numerous times, we finally decided to give it a try. I am so glad we did. We shared a HUGE vegetarian platter for two. It had generous portions of every vegetable dish. My favorite was the red lentils while my partner favored the potatoes and collards.

With dinner and a beer, we spent just about $30, including tip . And we both ate more than we should have and still had leftovers. We'll definitely be going back!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington, DC
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is the place to go for delicious, filling Ethiopian food! It's as good as the places in the Adams-Morgan neighborhood in DC. A lot of people might like the coffee as well.

Visited October 2012
Riverdale, Maryland
“Good Food Close to Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Shagga is a good option for Ethiopian food if you do not want to take a trip all the way up to Silver Spring or to the Shaw area in DC. The atmosphere is very quaint and family oriented. My family's favorites are the chicken tibbs, the lamb alicha, the cabbage and the veggie platter. Dine in or carry-out, even though dinning in is more fun. I have been turned off by some other restaurants that are not using a good cut of beef for the beef tibbs (chewy), but I have not had that experience at Shagga. I am a repeat customer.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
HYATTSVILLE
“friendly but so-so food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I love Ethiopian cuisine, and there is some GREAT Ethiopian food in the DC area. I was excited to try a new, closer option when my husband took me to Shagga Coffee and Restaurant. The service was friendly and the atmosphere not at all fancy, and very low-key. Definitely a mom & pop type of affair. That was all fine with me. But, for Ethiopian, I found the food on the bland side and not particularly fresh tasting. Such a disappointment. Nothing was really wrong, but nothing was appealing either. I had had fantasies of becoming a regular when I first arrived, but I have never been back!

• Visited June 2012