“Heaven on earth for southern cuisine” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
richmond
“Heaven on earth for southern cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Found out about this place last month, I have been 5 times since then and I live in about 120 miles away. The food is out of this world and I try something different each time. On the weekends there is always a wait sometimes an hour but it's worth it.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Visit the Largo Location!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I remove stars from this review because while the location is much bigger and better than the Largo location, the prices are higher, but the food is exactly the same. I always get a certain menu item that costs $8.99 at Largo, but $13.99 at Hyattsville, and I get the same amount of food which tastes exactly the same as Largo. Avoid this location if you can, and get your food to-go from the Largo spot. You will not want to dine in at the Largo location once you see the Hyattsville location, but the point of the restaurant is to eat, which is what this review is about.

This is my review of their Largo location:

This is hands down my favorite soul food place in the Washington, DC area. The taste of their food is always consistent, hot, fresh, and the price has not been raised since their opening. I have eaten at this restaurant since the day they opened, literally, and have dined in and taken out at least 200 times over the years. While I personally love this place, I can’t stand the constant yelling of “Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!”, which is their signature greeting, that they shout every 2 minutes. Its fine when it’s done in restricted moderation, but they go overboard with it and the ringing of that darn bell. It gets really annoying after waiting in line for 10 min. I wish they would calm it down, as I’m sure the eat in diners that have been in there much longer have got to be even more annoyed than the take out line.
I always get the spicy chicken chunks, extra sauce on the side, mac and cheese, collard greens, and a side of baked beans. Half of their menu items are made to order, so I would highly suggest calling in your order if you will be taking out, otherwise you will be waiting at least 15-20 min, and it is not a comfortable wait since the restaurant is too small for comfort. Also, I don’t ever take the to-go cornbread that is wrapped in those bags. They always wrap the cornbread while it is still hot, so it sticks to the paper. Instead, ask for your cornbread in a to-go container with the honey butter spread. If you only have one meal, you will only get one cornbread, so ask for two in the to-go container and pay the extra few cents. Trust me, it tastes significantly better. Their cakes are also very good, but too overpriced at $5 apiece. I personally love the yellow cake with chocolate icing and only get it when I’m feeling rich. Otherwise, the spicy chicken chunks meal, with my 2 cornbreads, and extra side only come to about $15. Two meals with 2 extra sides, come to about $27. It is well worth the price. Try to take out as much as possible, since it can get pretty cramped when dining in. The restaurant is too small and gets too loud at times. Eating your food at home will taste a lot better than in the restaurant. Happy Eating!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Southern Food Around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Good Food, Nice People, Good Prices. I love their Mama's Stew Chicken, Meatloaf, I could go on and on. Best time to go is on a Saturday afternoon, it is not to crowded then.

Visited October 2012
Dallas, TX
“Oh My Gosh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Growing up in the south, I am hard to impress when it comes to southern style restaurants. Especially ones that are in northern states. But the food was finger-licking good. I went in determined to order dessert. They give you so much food that I could not finish everything on my plate. And forget about dessert. There was no way that I could have eaten another bite. The next time I am there I will eat dessert first!

Hyattsville, Maryland
“Amazing Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I heard great reviews about the meatloaf so I had to try it myself. When I went there, everything looked good. I purchased several entre's for the family and everyone loved it.