“good choice for UMd visit” 3 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
New Jersey
“good choice for UMd visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

A very convenient hotel for visiting UMd. Right at edge of campus. We were in the new building, in a somewhat small but well furnished room with comfortable beds. Room service order arrived within half an hour, delivered by an extremely nice waiter, food well presented but just ok. On site gym was not available (construction?) but pass was furnished to the unbelievable UMd rec center. 3 minute drive to DC metro station, with major parking available (free on weekends, museums advise taking Metro due to difficulty of parking in DC). If booking on Marriott website, note that hotel is listed in College Park, not Adelphia as UMd states.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

I stayed 2 nights with my son, who was on a visit to U of Maryland.
I am a regular Marriott guest and was pretty disappointed with the lack of typical amenities of a full service hotel. I must point out that the staff of this hotel was excellent, although they didn't seem to know where nearby attractions were. (we asked for the nearest movie theater, and they directed us to Baltimore!! As we left the hotel, there was a theatre just about 2 miles away, and another in Silver Springs, 5 miles away!!) Anyway, bottom line, the hotel was dead, and still charged allot for a weekend stay. There was no concierge lounge on the weekend, no pool, and you had to walk through 2 buildings outside of the hotel to get a cup of coffee. The business center and restaurants were across the way in another building as well. On the weekend, most people just like to slip downstairs grab a cup of coffee, without having to go outside and leave the property. This is probably a nice place during the week, I just wish Marriott warned people not to stay here on the weekend. By the way there is a nice Courtyard just a couple of miles away...

Stayed February 2007
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2007

I stayed here for one night during a college visit to Catholic U in NE Washington. Hotel was well-situated, about 15 min. drive from NE Wash. It was easy to find.

I was in the older building. Check-in and parking for $6 a night - handled efficiently.

The room was rather crowded with furniture. I assume b/c I used Priceline I would be given a lesser room (not sure if this is really true but I feel like it is). Bed was comfortable and room and bathroom were clean.

Room service: inexpensive (by metro NY standards), delivered quickly and tasty.

Problems: you can really hear the showers/bathroom toilet flushing/water running and so on from adjoining rooms. An early riser taking a 5:30 am shower woke me up. My tub did not drain, but hot water was plentiful.

Room was equipped w/ iron and all the standard amenities.

I would stay here again but I think it woud be tight with two people in a room. Location for my area was excellent, though.

Stayed February 2007
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2006

I stayed at the Marriott Inn & Conference Center, College Park, because of the training conference being held there. The conference center is a nice scale, and it was convenient to be a short elevator ride away from my room. Lodging is divided between two buildings, one older one, where the meeting rooms are, and a much newer one, that mirrors the original. In the lobby of the new one, where the registration desk is, there's an internet-enabled computer and printer for the use of guests at no charge. The printer is especially convenient for generating boarding passes and the like. I really appreciate the free access, and I rarely had to wait for my turn.

My room, on the other hand, was in the old building. It was obviously designed for the days when double beds were the standard. The queen bed almost filled it, wall-to-wall. It's fine for one person, two might be inconvenienced unless they're both pretty small.

Bed linens and pillows were Marriott standards, but the bed itself was too cushy, it sank in too deep when I lay down in it. The heating system must be old, it worked robustly only at night. On the cold windy mid-day when I checked in there was luke-warm air blasting out of the blower in spite of the thermostat set at 80o. BRRR. The other thing about my room was that I could hear, every 10 minutes or so, 24 hours a day, some internal system or fan groaning and roaring on and off. It sounded for all the world like a love-sick HVAC.

The bathroom was also very small, a real elbow-banger. But the hot water was plentiful, everything was clean, and the hair dryer, with an unaccountable little digital clock that blinked 12:00 the whole time I was there, was quite adequate. Other amenities include an iron and board.

I had dinner in the restaurant one evening. The coq au vin was downright awful. Picture deep fried chicken fingers in some kind of white gravy. On the other hand, the crab chowder was pretty good. Service was so-so, and that's being kind. Food served at the conference, presumably from the same kitchen, was more consistently good.

I have one major pet peeve about the Marriot Inn and Conferenc Center at University of Maryland College Park, however. It boasts all kinds of green hotel qualifications, YAY! Except that housekeeping, like at other hotels and inns large and small, completely ignores the little hang tag in the bathroom that says SAVE OUR PLANET! Dear Guest: Every day tons of detergent and millions of gallons of water are used to wash towels that have been used only once. Please decide for yourself. A towel on the rack means 'I'll use it again' A towel on the floor or in the tub means 'please exchange.' Oh no it doesn't. Any towel that's been touched is whisked away, even if left neatly hanging to dry, and replaced with a clean one every day. So much for the planet!

• Liked — Academic atmosphere and conference center location
  • Disliked — 24 hour noise from ?ventilation system and smallness of the room
  • Tips/Secrets — See if they'll give you a room in the new building where the heating/cooling are probably more modern
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

After reading a recent Trip Advisor review that made this place sound awful, with much trepidation, my husband and I booked a room for one night since our son was participating in National History Day finals on the U of Maryland campus and it seemed like the most convenient place to stay. We couldn't have been more pleased! Our room was lovely and clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the hotel houses the U of MD art galleries, which provided a most delightful after dinner experience. We were able to take an evening walk through the campus, which is enormous, get room service for breakfast the exact time we requested it, find some tasty veggie burgers at one of the restaurants right there to purchase for a quick bite on the way to pick up our son, and in a nutshell, we felt it was an excellent choice for folks wanting to stay in the College Park area. Covered parking in a very nice structure across the street was $6 but that also meant we could come and go as we pleased for that one-time charge.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I were needing to be in the College Park area.

• Stayed June 2006
NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Marriott Inn and Conference Center for 3 nights for a conference. Don't be deceived by the look of the modern main building. Our room was in the older building. The room is so small that they really shouldn't have put a king size bed in the room. The room smelled musty. The remote control had so much dust on it. The bathroom wasn't pleasant either. The towels didn't seem clean. While I was taking a shower the first night, I noticed the tub doesn't drain water! We asked to change room to the new building, hoping those rooms are better, but they couldn't grant our wish for the entire 3 night stay. The quality of water is poor. My husband and I both had extremely dry skin after taking showers there. The rooms are not sound-proof. I could hear everything people said in the hallway and next room.

They charge daily parking fee for hotel guests.

The only positive aspect was housekeeping. They were always available and cleaned the room when it was convenient for us.

If you have to stay here, make sure you reserve a room in the new building. I'm not sure if these new rooms are better, but they couldn't be worse. If they don't have a room available in the new building, stay somewhere else. The only thing that keeps this place open is its proximity to UMUC. I think UMUC should invest in a nicer hotel to represent the school better and to accommodate out-of-town guests. I would never return to this inn.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2005

We stayed here while checking out U Maryland. It is right on campus and is an attractive modern hotel with an art exhibit right in the lobby. Rooms were quite plush and comfortable with all expected amenities. Being an Elite Marriott Rewards member gets you admission to the "hospitality suite" with food and drink included. That was great, as well as the people we met there. The hotel has two buildings. We stayed in the main one. The conference center building had a reasonably priced and good breakfast. It is a short drive or walk to the campus, and would be your best choice in College Park, although it is actually located in Adelphi! My only criticism is that parking is $6.00. I don't expect that in a non-city hotel.

Stayed April 2005

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!