“Nice hotel, strange rooms defined as cozy.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice hotel, strange rooms defined as cozy.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Just returned home after a 4 night stay the Marriott College Park.
We booked the hotel because we were attending a wedding at the University of Maryland.
This is a perfect hotel to stay at if you are attending a wedding on the college campus.
There were many family/friends staying at the hotel, with a special wedding rate.

On the positive side. The COMMONS Restaurant and bar is very well decorated.
We all commented on how well we liked the décor. A lot of effort was put into making the
area inviting. We had the breakfast buffet every morning, and it was perfect. Made to order
omelets or waffles,oatmeal plus assortment of cereals, breads, fruits, juices, coffee and tea.
Also had lunch at the COMMONS one day, and again, very good sandwiches. I had a chicken sandwich with a salad on the side. Very tasty.
At night the bar is the perfect place to be, and than just go on up to your room !
The staff were very friendly.
The Cozy Rooms -- This was a bit of a challenge. They are well decorated, but very small.
A luggage stand was provided, but, no where to put it. The closet is tiny, keep in mind we had
a suit, shirt, cocktail dress, plus our other clothes to hang up. The safe is basically on the floor
of the closet, I had to get on my hands and knees to put anything in and out of it.
We dealt with that, and made the best of it.
BUT, the bathroom is another story. A glass sliding door to separate the shower/toilet from the bed. Let me say, there is no privacy in that room. I cannot understand anyone who thought that would be acceptable. The shower has a 1/2 glass wall even with the whole bathroom floor. Tried hard as I could, but, all the floor got wet everytime I showered. The 2 hooks to hang your bath towels are INSIDE the shower. I believe in the green concept, willing to use my towel more than once, but, can't hang it in the shower, because my husband was taking a shower after me. Therefore the towel would be soaked. Did I mention you have to get into the shower to turn the water on. So, basically cold water hits you first. There is absolutely no counter space in the bathroom, even to the point of where do we put the soap dish.
The wait staff, the maids, all did an excellent job. Our room was always clean. No complaints there.
The bed was super comfortable, nice linens, and lots of comfy pillows.
I want to add that check in was easy. I actually had to request a toiletry from the front desk, and they went above and beyond getting it for me, and delivering to the room. That was service I never expected.
There are 2 buildings at this hotel. We were in the building with the Commons Rest. and Bar. The other building is not "renovated" yet, so no cozy rooms there.

Green Features: Extremely environmentally friendly. There are 2 waste baskets, one for recycle and one for other trash.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Maggie: Thank you for taking time to submit such a thorough review of our property. I am happy that you had a great experience in The Common, i.e., food, service, decor, etc. We like it too and are constantly receiving great reviews. The issues you mention with our "cozy" room are things we are taking a close look at, to see what we can correct for future guests. As you mentioned, we consist of two buildings with very different room types. The newly renovated "cozy" guest rooms in the Conference Center Building are totally different than the rooms in the Hotel. We are aware that it is time for the rooms in the Hotel Building to be renovated. We are designing this now and the project begins in November 2014! I hope this information helps you and anyone planning on staying with us. Again, thank you for your comments. We always appreciate feedback and pay attention to every word! I hope to see you back with us soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Stuart, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We were here for a family evening wedding.
This two building hotel is on the north west corner of the University of Maryland property. It's a great location for anyone visiting the campus. The two buildings - I'll separate them by the one in which you register and the other the one with the restaurant. Both have hotel rooms in them. We were in the "registration building". The room had a large alcove with a desk and a tiny alcove that at one time may have had a tv. The room was very clean, the beds comfortable, the bathroom spacious. Across the way in the other building are the restaurant serving very good food at reasonable prices, a fun bar and a large comfortable sitting area.
The front desk staff were well organized and professional. The cleaning staff were friendly, happy and thorough. There is a large parking garage next to the hotel.
A downside for us was that there was no swimming pool. We were without a car and there was not much one could walk to. If we had been involved in many campus activities it would have been an even better location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to review the College Park Marriott Hotel. I love your description of the property - you nailed it! Yes, it is unfortunate that we do not have a pool. It would be nice for families and also business travelers looking for a "workout swim" or someplace else to just relax. Other than that, again I am happy that you and your family had a good experience. We hope to see you back with us someday soon. Make it a great day!
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I had the absolute pleasure to check in to this wonderful Hotel. From the beginning the check in was a breeze and the staff was helpful and friendly. My room was spacious and very lovely. My trip was enhanced because at the end of the day of sightseeing etc this was a nice place to come "home" to. I will recommend this hotel to family and friends who happen to be in the area. BRAVO!

Room Tip: Parking is across the street, but free.
Green Features: Loved the recycling. We recycle and compost so This was great
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review of our property, staff, etc. I am glad to hear that you felt at "home" with us. Thank you for the recommendation to your family and friends and we certainly hope you return to stay with us again! Make it a great day!
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

a lovely hotel on campus, which is extremely convenient. love the courtyard and that it is connected to another building where there is a gym, restaurant and an art gallery that covers three floors. my only issue is that the rooms were without a mini fridge.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. As you noted, we consist of two buildings - the newly renovated Conference Center and the Hotel (it sounds like your room was in the Hotel). Most of the rooms in the Hotel do not have mini refrigerators; all of the rooms in the Conference Center do. We are aware that it is time for the rooms in the Hotel Building to be renovated. We are designing this now, mini refrigerators will definitely be on the list of items, and the project begins in November 2014! I hope this information helps you and anyone else planning on staying with us.

Thanks again; we truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. We hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I stayed @ the College Park Marriott for 2 nites while away on business. I treated myself to the Concierge floor & found it Amazing. The room was spacious w/ a comfy king size bed. Wifi was easily accessed. Concierge lounge was delightful, serving fresh fruit, salads, soup, desserts, cheese and crackers daily. I will definitely book here again!!

Room Tip: Easy access off 193 West
Green Features: Gentle natural fresh smell toiletries were delightful
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am happy you had a great experience and we look forward to you staying with us in the future. Make it a great day!
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I stay at this hotel once a year and it has undergone a nice remodeling. This year, I was in the conference center building in a room that was described accurately as cozy. It was small, but it was ok enough for one person and it was comfortable. There are things I simply do not understand, though, such as the current trend in bathroom design that separates the bathroom from the bedroom by glass, in this case a blue sliding glass door. Cannot people have some last bit of privacy? And the shower was a long narrow compartment that most likely had previously held a tub. There was a half-glass wall to separate the shower from the sink and toilet but the mechanism to turn the water on and off was at the end of the compartment so there was no way to turn on the water to figure out the temperature without getting soaked. And the floor had no slope, so the water spilled out into the main part of the bathroom and required the bath mat and more towels to sop up the water to prevent slipping. To me, this is a stupid design that privileges aesthetics over function and does not take into consideration guest safety. The room was attractive, but the walls were painted black with black switchplates and black switches. So, do I have to say that it was a little hard to find the light switches and the outlets? Who thinks this is a good idea? All that said, the bed was comfortable and they finally have room service, although my breakfast arrived late. The restaurant's food is tasty and the bartender was friendly. The staff was competent and responsive. I thought the room was overpriced and I had to pay in full 60 days in advance with no possible refund because it was an "event weekend." That was harsh.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. As you are aware, we are a unique Marriott hotel, as we consist of two buildings with very different room types. The newly renovated guest rooms in the Conference Center Building are totally different than the rooms in the Hotel. Many guests love the new design of the renovated rooms, some not; a matter of preferences and taste I think.

We offer the two distinct room types in our reservation system as "Cozy" rooms in the Conference Center and "Deluxe" rooms in the Hotel Building. We are aware that it is time for the rooms in the Hotel Building to be renovated. We are designing this now and the project begins in November 2014. I hope this information helps you and anyone else planning on staying with us.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future. Thank you and I hope to see you again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

I had a delightful business stay for one night. The recently renovated and modern cozy room was small, but fine for one person. HVAC worked well and the bed/ pillows were very comfortable. The modern bath was delightful with a spacious shower ... Very European feel. Lots of outlets for electronics. Great location on the University of Maryland campus.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your recent stay at the College Park Marriott Hotel and Conference Center. I am so very glad that you enjoyed your stay, you liked our newly renovated rooms, etc. We do hope you return to stay with us again. Again, thank you and make it a great day!

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!