“What a great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
West Palm Beach, Florida
“What a great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I had the absolute pleasure to check in to this wonderful Hotel. From the beginning the check in was a breeze and the staff was helpful and friendly. My room was spacious and very lovely. My trip was enhanced because at the end of the day of sightseeing etc this was a nice place to come "home" to. I will recommend this hotel to family and friends who happen to be in the area. BRAVO!

Room Tip: Parking is across the street, but free.
Green Features: Loved the recycling. We recycle and compost so This was great
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review of our property, staff, etc. I am glad to hear that you felt at "home" with us. Thank you for the recommendation to your family and friends and we certainly hope you return to stay with us again! Make it a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

a lovely hotel on campus, which is extremely convenient. love the courtyard and that it is connected to another building where there is a gym, restaurant and an art gallery that covers three floors. my only issue is that the rooms were without a mini fridge.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. As you noted, we consist of two buildings - the newly renovated Conference Center and the Hotel (it sounds like your room was in the Hotel). Most of the rooms in the Hotel do not have mini refrigerators; all of the rooms in the Conference Center do. We are aware that it is time for the rooms in the Hotel Building to be renovated. We are designing this now, mini refrigerators will definitely be on the list of items, and the project begins in November 2014! I hope this information helps you and anyone else planning on staying with us.

Thanks again; we truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. We hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I stayed @ the College Park Marriott for 2 nites while away on business. I treated myself to the Concierge floor & found it Amazing. The room was spacious w/ a comfy king size bed. Wifi was easily accessed. Concierge lounge was delightful, serving fresh fruit, salads, soup, desserts, cheese and crackers daily. I will definitely book here again!!

Room Tip: Easy access off 193 West
Green Features: Gentle natural fresh smell toiletries were delightful
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am happy you had a great experience and we look forward to you staying with us in the future. Make it a great day!
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I stay at this hotel once a year and it has undergone a nice remodeling. This year, I was in the conference center building in a room that was described accurately as cozy. It was small, but it was ok enough for one person and it was comfortable. There are things I simply do not understand, though, such as the current trend in bathroom design that separates the bathroom from the bedroom by glass, in this case a blue sliding glass door. Cannot people have some last bit of privacy? And the shower was a long narrow compartment that most likely had previously held a tub. There was a half-glass wall to separate the shower from the sink and toilet but the mechanism to turn the water on and off was at the end of the compartment so there was no way to turn on the water to figure out the temperature without getting soaked. And the floor had no slope, so the water spilled out into the main part of the bathroom and required the bath mat and more towels to sop up the water to prevent slipping. To me, this is a stupid design that privileges aesthetics over function and does not take into consideration guest safety. The room was attractive, but the walls were painted black with black switchplates and black switches. So, do I have to say that it was a little hard to find the light switches and the outlets? Who thinks this is a good idea? All that said, the bed was comfortable and they finally have room service, although my breakfast arrived late. The restaurant's food is tasty and the bartender was friendly. The staff was competent and responsive. I thought the room was overpriced and I had to pay in full 60 days in advance with no possible refund because it was an "event weekend." That was harsh.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. As you are aware, we are a unique Marriott hotel, as we consist of two buildings with very different room types. The newly renovated guest rooms in the Conference Center Building are totally different than the rooms in the Hotel. Many guests love the new design of the renovated rooms, some not; a matter of preferences and taste I think.

We offer the two distinct room types in our reservation system as "Cozy" rooms in the Conference Center and "Deluxe" rooms in the Hotel Building. We are aware that it is time for the rooms in the Hotel Building to be renovated. We are designing this now and the project begins in November 2014. I hope this information helps you and anyone else planning on staying with us.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future. Thank you and I hope to see you again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

I had a delightful business stay for one night. The recently renovated and modern cozy room was small, but fine for one person. HVAC worked well and the bed/ pillows were very comfortable. The modern bath was delightful with a spacious shower ... Very European feel. Lots of outlets for electronics. Great location on the University of Maryland campus.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your recent stay at the College Park Marriott Hotel and Conference Center. I am so very glad that you enjoyed your stay, you liked our newly renovated rooms, etc. We do hope you return to stay with us again. Again, thank you and make it a great day!
Miami, Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Tiny, tiny room despite charging full gov't DC area per diem rates. This room is in Hyattsville, MD several miles outside DC. For the rate this hotel charges, you can stay in Washington DC hotel of similar or better quality within walking distance of a central area metro and walking distance of the National Mall, Smithsonian, etc. And the room will be about three times larger than this one.

The bed in the room was extra firm and uncomfortable. If staying there again , I'd ask for a normal medium or plush bed. Also, the reading light didn’t work. In the morning, after not sleeping real well, I noticed that the coffee tray had two decaffeinated coffee packs - no regular caffeinated coffee. Not a big deal, but after not sleeping on an uncomfortable bed, it was a little annoying. Called the desk and they sent a carafe of coffee on the house, I also mentioned the light bulb in the reading light, though this was never repaired. The hotel is incredibly elegant, great restaurant food, awesome 24 hour gym. It is located right on the campus so perfect If you're there for anything at U of Maryland. Despite uncomfortable bed and tiny room, I booked a third night since my conference was extended and I didn’t have a rental car. The Manager upgraded my room to a really outrageously comfortable suite truly fit for a member of congress, or foreign dignitary.

I am kind of a quiet traveler and like to stay at certain hotel chains because usually I can count on a reasonable-sized room, comfortable bed, coffee in the room, clean room, lights working, etc. Not the case with this stay, though they did upgrade me on the third night. I appreciate the upgrade and it did please me, though in reality I would have preferred to check in and just find an ordinary room of Marriott Wash-DC area quality and not have any drama at all.

The courtesy shuttle was great. Driver was awesome, very pleasant guy. The few times I needed it, the shuttle was available very quickly. The driver (forgot his name) really knows a lot about Hyattsville, Maryland, and DC. The campus is very walkable from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a plush or medium firm bed. Be advised the rooms are tiny.
Green Features: Recycle receptables are placed throughout the hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with the College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center and I am delighted that many things were to your satisfaction; our shuttle driver and his service, our fitness center, you were within walking distance of the University of Maryland campus, and you enjoyed the food and atmosphere in The Common restaurant.

I do also hope you enjoyed your free carafe of coffee and room upgrade on your last evening with us.

If you do decide to stay with us again, I wish to make you aware then that we consist of two buildings with very different room types. We offer the two distinct room types in our reservation system as "Cozy" rooms in the Conference Center and "Deluxe" rooms in the Hotel Building. Some really love the new "cozy" rooms, but they are not for everyone. When you return, you will know then to book a larger room in the Hotel Building.

Again, thank you so very much for your response. Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future. Make it a great day!
Lafayette, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

There is nothing near this hotel so plan on spending a lot for food or walking many miles. The shuttle let us down 2/3 times we tried it- once didn't show when trying to get back from the metro and again when we were in a rush to get to the metro and it was undergoing routine maintenance during a peak time, 9 am. The conference center across the lot has noisy events with even noisier attendees clogging the lot and drive. The doors are super loud so plan on getting shaken out of your sleep at all times. The worst is the maid knocking on the door even though she had no intention of cleaning at that time. Do not disturb signs were made for a reason. Finally, it ends up being super expensive once the transportation costs and time are included.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit comments about your recent stay with us. Please accept my apology for the experience you had during your stay. I have shared your comments with my operations team and your concerns are being looked into and will be addressed. We value your feedback and appreciate you letting us know where we failed. We appreciate your business and do hope you return to the College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center.

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!