“Old Building vs. New Building” 4 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
Kansas City, Missouri
“Old Building vs. New Building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

A tale of two buildings.

This hotel has a strange layout. I don’t mind two buildings but you literally have to go outside and cross a courtyard to go between buildings. This is quite inconvenient at night and in the cold after working out or when you want something to eat. You have to get a coat to go to the hotel restaurant.

I started in the old building because I have access to the concierge/club lounge and booked an Executive King. It was a nice size room but very outdated and had maintenance issues. It was actually my second out of three rooms in that the first room the door would not even open. The last night of my stay was in the new building.

Overall positives include the service. Maintenance was prompt and a quick offer to change rooms. The restaurant was not only good but well priced. The complementary shuttle service will definitely have me coming back when in the area.

If I were to do it over, I would stay in the new building because that’s where the majority of the services I use are located (fitness center, public areas to work, and restaurant). And I like modern rooms. If room size is more important, stay in the older building. I will just walk over to the club lounge which had good service but is outdated and ok on the variety of food.

Old building vs. New Building

Old Building
• Front desk and Shuttle arrangements
• Concierge/club lounge floor (I don’t know why it’s in the old building. I guess no one would stay in the old building otherwise.)
• Very quiet—me and one other person on our part of the floor.
• Larger rooms but old
• Executive King rooms (large but no frig. Or microwave)
• No other facilities
• Not a lot of public space but private since it seems no one stays in this building

New Building
• Small rooms (except junior suit) but nicely remodeled
• Fitness center
• Restaurant
• Nice public areas but no place real private areas; quite utilized
• Majority of conference rooms

Room Tip: Room 241 in the new building is a junior suite Room 255 in old building executive king and large I...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I like your title “A tale of two buildings.” :-)

Having two buildings that you have to walk to and from is not always the most convenient, as you mention, especially in the winter months. I myself have been to hotels where you have to walk outside to get to where you may need to go for meetings, get to a restaurant, etc. , and it’s not always convenient, so I understand and can empathize with you.

I am happy that you enjoyed our free shuttle and The Common Restaurant/Pub.

You mention the Hotel a few times as being outdated, old, etc. I am happy to inform you that we will begin renovation on that building in November 2014. In the meanwhile, I am happy that you plan on staying with us again when in the area. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I have stayed at this property probably 20 nights over the past two years. Their recent huge renovation really made this very convenient property a great, comfortable place to stay. I really look forward to going there.
The new rooms are so very cute. Like an upscale apt or lodge design with walkin shower, cozy sofas and furniture and very comfortable beds. The common areas downstairs are beautiful and nice to gather wih friends by the fireplace or get some work done. And if you are someone who likes to workout when you travel like I do you are going to LOVE their new gym. I travel the world and this is one of the best gyms I have seen at a hotel. It has everything.
I also have to say they have a great buffet breakfast and the waitresses at the restaurant are so very nice.
I would like to see a few more bar like appetisers added to the menu. They used to have amazing quesadillas but its not in their new menu.
Overall we love staying at this new property. The weekend rates are fantastic and if available I have been upgraded o their cozy suites which are even nicer,
If you have an appointment at university of Maryland college park this is THE place to stay. You can walk to campus if you want.

Room Tip: Cozy suites are great
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
How nice to read this wonderful review of our property! I am so very glad you have enjoyed your many visits with us. Thank you for all the kind words regarding our hosts - I will be sure to pass them along. "Amazing quesadillas" = Yes, you are correct! I liked them too. I will make sure the chef knows you mentioned it - who knows, maybe he will add it back on the menu one day. Again, thank you, and we look forward to your return. Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed one night while in DC area for Thanksgiving. Wonderful stay, great bed and comfortable linen. Had read about room sizes and requested a deluxe. It was a nicely-sized room on 5th floor. Would have been more comfortable with another chair in addition to the desk chair- but for a one-night stay it was quite good. Did not try any amenities as we were on the move. Fairly easy access to 295 to get to DC. Although once you head out on University Blvd there are few places for coffee in that direction. I think there was a Starbucks in the other building which we could have tried. If you have other plans to get to DC then 12 to 15 min drive in other direction to Ft Totten for Metro. Had very good rate for holiday stay and free parking in the property garage. Have family close by so will be trying this property again, probably pretty soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
I very much appreciate you taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have The Common restaurant/pub in the hotel and also a Starbucks, so perhaps next time you will have time to dine with us. We look forward to your return!
Wellesley, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Attended a wedding on thanksgiving weekend. There hotel is comprised of two buildings. One that has the lobby and guestrooms and the other with rooms, restaurant and conference center. The latter building is very nicely done and looks great. The restaurant "The common" was very good and nicely done. The rooms in the front desk building are out dated and need renovation big time. Gift shop was empty and a missed opportunity for the hotel. The staff was extremely friendly. Parking is complimentary and that helps.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
I thank you for taking time to review the property. As you mentioned, the Conference Center is newly renovated; guest rooms, The Common Restaurant/Pub, state-of-the-art fitness center, meeting space, etc. and we are happy that you enjoyed it. We will soon begin some renovation of the hotel, so if you visit us again once this is completed, we know you will love what you see! I apologize that the gift shop did not perhaps provide you with what you were looking for and have passed along your comment to the department head. Thank you, again, and we do hope you stay with us in the future!
Manalapan, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and immaculate. The room was 100% soundproof which was a real treat too. However, the two staples that I look for with my Marriott Rewards is the water in the fridge and the paper delivered. No water and I found out that I had to ASK for my paper to be delivered. Wasn't told this tid-bit when I checked in. The room was certainly "cozy" as they called it - so small that room service had no place to put down my food, nor did I have a place to eat it. The bathroom was a bit dysfunctional as well - the "open door" shower allowed water to go all over the bathroom floor which I thought to be extremely dangerous, there was horrible lighting for putting on makeup and no shelves, the sink faucet was so low that you could barely cup your hands underneath.
All in all though, the hotel was truly beautiful and well kept. I'd stay there again but I am disappointed in the lack of Marriott standards.

Room Tip: If you ask for the newly renovated rooms, although they are small they're in the building with t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We always appreciate our guests taking time out of their schedules to give us feedback. I apologize for you did not getting your paper delivered. I was advised by our front office that if we have your preference, then you should have received it. So, again, I am sorry we did not make that happen for you. Since you were not happy with our newly renovated guest rooms, if you chose to stay with us again, I would recommend you request a room in the hotel; the rooms are more of what I will refer to as “standard” and most likely what you are used to. Again, thank you for your comments and we certainly do hope to see you back with us very soon. Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Interesting hotel as it is in 2 buildings. I am a long time Platinum member of Marriott but was not treated as one upon check in. I was not upgraded nor receive a room on my profile. But the room was adequate as was the bathroom. The lounge on the 5th floor was adequate and nothing special. Hotel has nice lobby and sitting area. Fitness center had 4 of the 5 treadmills out of order. However it was a large fitness center with nice machines. The staff especially the front desk staff could easily make this a 4 star hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for submitting a review on our hotel. Our practice is to always recognize our Marriott Reward members and I apologize that you felt this did not occur upon check-in. If this is something you would like to discuss further, please contact us directly at the hotel. I am aware that there was a problem with the treadmills last week; I apologize if this was an inconvenience for you. Thank you for mentioning it and please know that they are now fully operational! Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back with us very soon.
Abbotsford, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We checked into this hotel after being badly disappointed with another College Park location. This was heaven! A beautiful building with up to date features. The rooms are modern, clean and very comfortable. There is a great gym and restaurant in the convention side of the building.

We arrived at 10 am and our room was ready. The staff is outstanding, going out of their way to make sure that you are satisfied. There is a free shuttle to take you to the Metro station should you desire it.

We will be going back to College Park to visit our daughter and will definitely book rooms here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the hotel side are bigger than those on the convention side.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
I am so happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to your return when you come to visit your daughter! Thanks for the great review and make it a great day!

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!