“Nice hotel but........” 3 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast + Free WiFi
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Hyattsville
Boca Raton, Florida
“Nice hotel but........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Interesting hotel as it is in 2 buildings. I am a long time Platinum member of Marriott but was not treated as one upon check in. I was not upgraded nor receive a room on my profile. But the room was adequate as was the bathroom. The lounge on the 5th floor was adequate and nothing special. Hotel has nice lobby and sitting area. Fitness center had 4 of the 5 treadmills out of order. However it was a large fitness center with nice machines. The staff especially the front desk staff could easily make this a 4 star hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for submitting a review on our hotel. Our practice is to always recognize our Marriott Reward members and I apologize that you felt this did not occur upon check-in. If this is something you would like to discuss further, please contact us directly at the hotel. I am aware that there was a problem with the treadmills last week; I apologize if this was an inconvenience for you. Thank you for mentioning it and please know that they are now fully operational! Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back with us very soon.

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Abbotsford, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We checked into this hotel after being badly disappointed with another College Park location. This was heaven! A beautiful building with up to date features. The rooms are modern, clean and very comfortable. There is a great gym and restaurant in the convention side of the building.

We arrived at 10 am and our room was ready. The staff is outstanding, going out of their way to make sure that you are satisfied. There is a free shuttle to take you to the Metro station should you desire it.

We will be going back to College Park to visit our daughter and will definitely book rooms here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the hotel side are bigger than those on the convention side.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
I am so happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to your return when you come to visit your daughter! Thanks for the great review and make it a great day!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Inn on the campus of University of Maryland for our son's move-in last month. It was so convenient to be on the campus and the staff was so accommodating with all of our needs. They were professional and caring and eager to make sure our stay was excellent.There are too many to mention--but Biruk Tadese, an assistant manager and Brittany-who shuttled us around and manned the front desk, were really great.The newly renovated restaurant was lovely with a great menu and the new rooms were very modern. We are looking forward to returning for the Parent and Family weekend this October.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review of our hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. Biruk and Brittany, hosts at the front office - I will be sure to let them know you mentioned them; that was very kind of you. We look forward to your return very soon! Thanks again and make it a great day.
Virginia Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We decided to make a quick day trip up to UM to watch Old Dominion football take on Maryland. Despite some so-so reviews on TA, I booked the Marriot 1) due to it being a Marriot and 2) it’s proximity to the stadium. Upon arrival (we arrived around 11:00am) our room was not ready anf the front desk was kind enough to say they would give us a call when it was ready. When we checked in, we were upgraded to a “Junior Suite” in the “older building.” Based on the reviews from past TA guests, I was not thrilled by the old building but it was one night so it wasn’t a big deal.

Let me tell you, I was completely wrong. The building was in the finishing stages of a complete renovation and our room was one of the nicer Marriot rooms I have stayed in. Our friends did not get lucky enough for an upgrade and their room was very nice, but also very small. I would highly recommend splurging for the Jr. Suite simply due to the size.

The only downfall was with the restaurant on site. The front desk promoted a post game buffet special and when we (and MANY other guests) tried to take advantage, they informed us they were not having it that night. They have a huge specials board that promoted the special as well. In the end, the manager gave a token discount of 10% (do the math, the hotel still comes out waaaay ahead), but the service was good and the bar was a nice hangout.

If I ever go to UM again, I will def. be staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for taking time to submit a review on our hotel. I am happy to hear that you were impressed with the renovation of the Conference Center building and were happy with the Junior Suite. Those suites are quite nice! I am a little confused in reference to your comment about our tail gate (your reference to a postgame buffet, but I assume we are talking about the same thing), as we did have one that day and will for future home games. We hope to see you back with us soon!
Hernando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. It was called a "cozy king" Cozy is an understatement. Beware of the bathroom. It is glass enclosed,one drain strip for the shower;consequently most of the bathroom is wet aftter your shower.The bathroom entrance is a sliding glass door. When I first arrived & used the facilities,the door got stuck. Luckily,I was not in the room alone. The other person had to call the desk & maintenance had to come to get me out. I could still be there if I was alone!
The room is attractive,but certainly not worth the price.

Room Tip: Don't book a cozy King!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. The Conference Center was just renovated, and although we could not increase the size of the guest rooms, the interior was completely changed. Some guests love it and some do not. I am sorry that you did not care for the room itself, but more importantly, that you had a problem with the bathroom door. I can understand how that was an upsetting situation and I apologize for the incident. I am positive that the problem was fixed. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to return and visit us again one day in the not too distant future. If you do, you might prefer to stay in the Hotel where the rooms are more of what you might consider a standard size. Thank you again and make it a great day!
Graham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Jaron Johnson and his staff made our stay great fun. Location across the street from the golf course (used it twice) and walking distance to the football stadium, make it the best place to stay for an event on campus. Free parking and shuttle (for three miles) if needed. Delicious "climate-controlled" (indoor) football tailgate before and after the game. Speedy elevator. Could use a few more outlets in the room and the Golf Channel on the TV listing, but no points deducted for that!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for submitting a review. I am happy to hear that you have stayed with us several times and have been happy with both the product and service. And you are correct, our Front Office hosts are the best! The tailgate you attended was our first this year, we have another one this Saturday, and hope to continue them throughout the University of MD 2013 football season, so perhaps you will join us for another one. I have passed along your comments about the outlets and Golf Channel. We appreciate your observations! Oh, and our shuttle will take you within a 5-mile radius of the hotel, so if you need to shop, get to the golf course, a restaurant close by, etc., we can get you there and return you to the hotel, as well. Thanks again and hope to see you back with us very soon!
Tenafly, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have stayed here a few times when visiting our daughter at UMD. The rooms are OK, the front desk works in slow motion. The elevators might work slower. Bottom line is this seems to be the nicest hotel near the school but that is not saying much.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to submit a review on our hotel. I can’t tell by your comments which building you stayed in. If you have been with us in the past, you know that the Conference Center was recently renovated = everything in the building is totally new! I passed along your comment regarding our front office hosts. If you wish to elaborate, please feel free to contact me. If you feel there is anything we can do to make any future stays better for you and your family, we would certainly like to know. Again, thanks for the information and we look forward to your return! Make it a great day!

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!