“Marriott Inn” 3 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$30 Dining Credit
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Hyattsville
Hernando, Florida
“Marriott Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. It was called a "cozy king" Cozy is an understatement. Beware of the bathroom. It is glass enclosed,one drain strip for the shower;consequently most of the bathroom is wet aftter your shower.The bathroom entrance is a sliding glass door. When I first arrived & used the facilities,the door got stuck. Luckily,I was not in the room alone. The other person had to call the desk & maintenance had to come to get me out. I could still be there if I was alone!
The room is attractive,but certainly not worth the price.

Room Tip: Don't book a cozy King!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. The Conference Center was just renovated, and although we could not increase the size of the guest rooms, the interior was completely changed. Some guests love it and some do not. I am sorry that you did not care for the room itself, but more importantly, that you had a problem with the bathroom door. I can understand how that was an upsetting situation and I apologize for the incident. I am positive that the problem was fixed. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to return and visit us again one day in the not too distant future. If you do, you might prefer to stay in the Hotel where the rooms are more of what you might consider a standard size. Thank you again and make it a great day!

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Graham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Jaron Johnson and his staff made our stay great fun. Location across the street from the golf course (used it twice) and walking distance to the football stadium, make it the best place to stay for an event on campus. Free parking and shuttle (for three miles) if needed. Delicious "climate-controlled" (indoor) football tailgate before and after the game. Speedy elevator. Could use a few more outlets in the room and the Golf Channel on the TV listing, but no points deducted for that!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for submitting a review. I am happy to hear that you have stayed with us several times and have been happy with both the product and service. And you are correct, our Front Office hosts are the best! The tailgate you attended was our first this year, we have another one this Saturday, and hope to continue them throughout the University of MD 2013 football season, so perhaps you will join us for another one. I have passed along your comments about the outlets and Golf Channel. We appreciate your observations! Oh, and our shuttle will take you within a 5-mile radius of the hotel, so if you need to shop, get to the golf course, a restaurant close by, etc., we can get you there and return you to the hotel, as well. Thanks again and hope to see you back with us very soon!
Tenafly, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have stayed here a few times when visiting our daughter at UMD. The rooms are OK, the front desk works in slow motion. The elevators might work slower. Bottom line is this seems to be the nicest hotel near the school but that is not saying much.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to submit a review on our hotel. I can’t tell by your comments which building you stayed in. If you have been with us in the past, you know that the Conference Center was recently renovated = everything in the building is totally new! I passed along your comment regarding our front office hosts. If you wish to elaborate, please feel free to contact me. If you feel there is anything we can do to make any future stays better for you and your family, we would certainly like to know. Again, thanks for the information and we look forward to your return! Make it a great day!
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great place for a conference in Maryland or near Washington, D.C.!
Located in the splendid College Park of Maryland University, this new hotel is a LEED-certified green venue, designed to minimize its footprint, the rooms are cozy with a big TV, modern bathroom, and WiFi with good speed.
Well equipped gym, comfortable Chesterfield style sofas on the living room for informal meetings, spacious conference rooms and meeting rooms, restaurant and bar with very good food, beautiful green areas for a walk, convenient free shuttle service, and free transportation to the Metro station where you can be at Washington, D.C. in no time.
But the talk of the conference I went was the excellent banquet that we ate every day: the pan seared salmon filet, the Waldorf salad, the ravioli, the juicy steak, the cookies, the cupcakes, and the water with fruits were delicious.

Room Tip: Rooms on the conference building are the best!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for this wonderful review! I am so very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are proud of our LEED Certification, so thank you for mentioning that. The Conference Center just had a major “face lift/renovation” and so many of our guests are enjoying the new facility – the guest rooms, meeting and banquet space, fitness center, The Common restaurant/pub, etc. I have passed along the wonderful things you said about the banquet food – our hosts will love hearing that you loved it! I hope that you have an opportunity to stay with us again in the not too distant future. If you are local, perhaps just stop by for lunch or dinner in The Common, attend one of our tailgates prior to going to a University of Maryland football game, or just come and relax for the weekend.
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was at a conference at the University and it was the only place within walking distance. One problem is that there isn't anything within walking distance of it. The hotel has a restaurant which is OK but expensive. Otherwise there is the food court at the student union--during the summer on the weekend, it was mostly closed. I needed some ibuprofen- the hotel had packets of 2 tabs for $2.(!). The student union had some small overpriced bottles of it and I also bought something from their limited snack food supply. No other shops of any kind are nearby. So if you don't have a car and don't want to pay for a taxi, be sure to bring everything you need and plan to eat at the restaurant there. (or McDonalds at the student union if you find it open).

The room was spacious and pleasant. The wi-fi in the room was good and at no charge. Service wasn't great. I wanted to rest in my room one afternoon and found it hadn't been made up- around 3:00. . I called the service number and the person breezily told me that housekeeping worked until 5:30 and she was sure they'd get to me, which they did, around 5.

All in all, I'd say that if you have to be on campus for something, it's an OK place to stay, but I'm not sure why you'd want to stay there otherwise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on our hotel. Your comment regarding your room and housekeeping is not the type of service we strive to provide. Please be assured this information was directed to the department head for follow-up. I apologize this happened and can understand the inconvenience, especially since you wanted to rest. We have had many great reviews on our new restaurant, The Common; I am sorry that it was not satisfactory for you. You are correct in saying that there are no other restaurants within walking distance of the hotel; however, we do have shuttle service that will take our guests to any establishment within a five-mile radius of the hotel. Shops, restaurants, etc. are close by so if you do not have a vehicle, we can still get you there. Again, thank you and we do hope you come visit us again soon!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late (10PM) Thursday evening for a 3 day conference/3 night stay.
No one offered to help with our bags.
There were 20-somethings running around the lobby, drunk, in 80s get-up and diapers?! (Seriously, I couldn't make this stuff up if I wanted to)
We were quickly given a room, in the new wing, which I had read was better than the old. The room (433) was quiet, and that is about all it had going for it.
The room is VERY small. One king bed. No more than 3 feet on any side. The bedding seemed to be covered in plastic beneath the sheets, making for a strange experience. The bathroom is a glass room in the bedroom. There is a sliding glass door separating the bed from the toilet. The door is very loud when it slides. The shower drian runs the length of the shower and is also very loud. The whole thing is very strange for America... The only thing I know to compare it to is a friends place in Singapore.
Perhaps OK for one person attending a conference, but absolutely a disaster for two people (evening significant others, or married couples) and especially if you're on different schedules. The bathroom light luminates the whole room. It created tensions where there were/are none. Overall the lighting is terrible for doing makeup.
The closet was too small for hanging clothes and closing the doors -- suit shoulders on standard hangers rubbed and got slammed in closet.
A very poorly constructed layout of a room.
Rooms have coffee, iron, minibar, hairdryer, and standard Marriott toiletries. The room was well cleaned daily.
There is a shuttle to the metro that is convenient.
The gym is well-equipped and offers individual tvs (though you need your own headphones) and fruit, though I didn't observe water in the gym.
Again, on checkout, no one offered to help with my bags, even as many staff observed me struggling with four suitcases and 3 large umbrellas.
I was not at all satisfied.

• Stayed August 2013
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for taking time to submit a review on our property. We like to hear from our guests; all comments, whether good, bad or indifferent, are taken seriously. I am truly sorry that your experience was not satisfactory. Please be assured that the information you provided to us has been passed on to the department head in each area. We constantly strive for the best customer satisfaction, but in your case, we did not succeed. If you would like to speak with me to provide any additional information or comments, please call the hotel’s main number, 301-985-7300. Again, I apologize for your experience and we certainly do hope you return some future date.
Nyack, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

the hotel is on the university of Maryland campus. there are two buildings- one has been redone, the other has not. Our room was on the 4th floor of the main building...it had access to the concierge floor upstairs. Our room was old, tired, stained carpets and drapes. the concierge floor is not worth the money. the eggs were inedible in the morning. the room itself was dreary, dilapidated and washed out. the whole thing needs a remake
there are NO washers and dryers there, even though the website says there are. they took it away in the other building. the onsite gym does not have individual tvs and as a woman I felt very unsafe there at night or early am. the locks to the side door and the gym door were not installed yet. can you say creepy???

Room Tip: maybe in the renovated building but the rooms are smaller than the old building. there is no pool b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for taking time to submit a review on the Marriott Inn and Conference Center, UMUC. As you mentioned, there are two buildings; the Conference Center and the Hotel. It sounds like your room was in the Hotel. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the Concierge Lounge; typically guests rave about the hosts servicing the lounge, the menu selection, etc.
I have passed your comments on to our Rooms Operations Manager. No washer/dryer – we did have one in the Conference Center, but it was removed during renovation; these will be reinstalled very soon for guest use. This can be a nice amenity and I can certainly understand you missing it. Our new Fitness Center is state of the art, although it seems it did not come up to what you prefer. The entrance to the side of the building = you are correct, those doors are not locked as it is a public entrance. The doors on the fitness center can only be unlocked by using a guest room key. The Conference Center’s renovation is 90% complete. The Hotel will undergo renovation beginning early next year. We do hope you return to our hotel in the future!

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!