“A good stay but service could be improved” 3 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
Seattle, WA
“A good stay but service could be improved”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My family stayed for a wedding and overall the stay was very nice and pleasant. Staff was warm and friendly (always greeted with a smile) and when it came to room locations preferences they were incredibly accommodating. The room rate was more than reasonable and the rooms were fairly nice considering we were in the older, not yet renovated building.
We came back to our room one night to find our AC had shut down. An engineer was in our room within minutes. He made a solid effort to fix it but after 10 minutes and no success he offered to have us switch rooms. Five minutes later we were completely moved into a new room located just a few doors down from our original room.
The shuttle driver, Lawrence, was funny, smiley and incredibly personable. He made a point to say hello, wave and ask if there was anything he could do for us throughout the rest of our stay every time we saw him.
However, there are some basic service fails that the hotel could really benefit from working on with their staff.
Front Desk: (1) My husband and I approached the front desk to inquire about some hotel amenities and local shopping options. While we were speaking with the front desk agent, a woman with a clip board approached the desk. Instead of acknowledging this woman and advising that she (the desk agent) would be able to assist her in a moment, the desk agent stopped helping us and proceed to assist this other women without even excusing herself from our conversation. The desk agent spent about five to ten minutes assisting this other woman - the desk agent also took and made phone calls during this time - while we stood by patiently. I don't care who this other woman was, the way the desk agent conducted herself was completely unacceptable. (2) We approached the desk on a separate occasion to find the front desk agent (a different girl from the last encounter) with her mouth full of food! This is a basic rule, food and drink should never be consumed in the front of the house by staff!
Restaurant: We went to the restaurant for breakfast, our server was actually over-attentive. I'm sure it came from a good place, but he came over to our table and asked me three different times if I wanted my plate removed. Every time I paused to sit back and sip my tea for a minute, there he was assuming I was done eating. The third time he came over (even though I was planning on eating the half a sausage and a couple pieces of potato left on my plate) I let him take the plate because I was so annoyed with having to tell him no, again. It should also be said that plates should never be removed from a table unless everyone has finished eating - my husband was still working on his omelet. It's considered to be rude and can make those that are still eating feel rushed.
Banquets: On our last day there was a buffet breakfast for all the wedding hotel guests. The banquet server overseeing the hosted breakfast was dis-organized and a bit rude. When we arrived, half of the tables didn't have napkins or silverware on them. When we sat down with our plates there was one new set of silverware on the table. My husband went to reach for it and the server took the silverware from him and told him that he couldn't use that set as it was not placed there for him. The server then proceed to take place settings off other tables (which were also only partially set) and gave them to us and a couple other guests that joined our table. The server continued to take place settings from other tables instead of just resetting tables completely as people finished their breakfast and left. Also during the breakfast, a friend of ours went to buffet line and grabbed a small box of cereal. As she was about to pick up a cereal bowl the banquet server rushed to her side and proceeded to tell her that she needed to use a bowl for the cereal and that "those there" (as she pointed to coffee mugs that were on the OTHER SIDE of the table) were for coffee and tea... thank you captain obvious. She also disappeared for about 20 minutes during the breakfast leaving tables dirty and unset. And when she finally reappeared, she pushed her way through a group of wedding guests standing by the doorway without even an "excuse me". It should be said that she also could have walked around them as there was room to do so. Wish I knew her name because she was awful and is in serious need of retraining or just needs to be let go.
With all that said, if we ever find ourselves in Hyattsville again, we would consider staying there again. But we do hope that the hotel takes the above into consideration as it will help to improve the overall guest experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our property. I am happy to hear that the problem with the AC in your room was taken care of quickly (even though you had to move to another room). Thank you for the nice comment about Lawrence, one of our shuttle drivers. Yes, he is a personable host here at the hotel, all guests love him and we receive many great comments about Lawrence. I noted the three areas of the hotel (front desk, The Common restaurant, and banquets) that you critiqued. Please be assured that I immediately passed on all these comments to the department head of each area, and everything is being looked into. Again, thank you for taking time to provide me with much valuable information/comments. I appreciate it and hope you return to stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel is essentially on the University of Maryland campus, with no other businesses in the area, and is comprised of two separate buildings. We were there for a wedding, and half of our group stayed in the lobby side building, with the rest in the conference center side. The conference center side features small, but very nice modern European style amenities. The other rooms were nicely appointed standard double, or king rooms. It rained during our stay, so not having conne Ted buildings meant occasional jaunts in the rain, but if that was the worst thing that we experienced, we did well. Parking was free, and the biggest plus for me was Starbucks coffee served in the dining area. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our property. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you back with us very soon! Enjoy the remainder of your summer.
ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed for conference with husband. Room was renovated but very small, probably part blocked for group. Bed and sheets need the updating, bathroom accommodating. Management needs to step up training at bar and resturant to handle conference crowds. Meals were good and priced for DC area. Location probably best for the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking time to submit a review on our property. I appreciate your observations both on the room accommodation and our staff in The Common Restaurant/Pub. Please be assured that this information has already been passed on to the department head in each area. We hope you come back to stay with us again very soon!
Ashburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I must say I've stayed at many hotels and many Marriott hotels and this one is by far one of my favorite of all time, if not THE best hotel I've ever stayed at!

I had looked at all of the hotels in the area and the reviews were average at best. I was very worried that I would have to end up settling for a sub par hotel experience when I stumbled upon the Marriott using Google Maps. I happened to be working on the UMD campus so I was eager to book this hotel immediately not only because it was a Marriott, but because of the superb location as well.

Upon booking I did look at the reviews and most were positive and some were average but I had never been disappointed with a Marriott before so I had high hopes. Oh, and the price was not only competitive, but cheaper than some of the other options - and for a Marriott! I did not hesitate to book.

Upon entering the actual hotel, hotel staff at the front desk greeted me and my significant other with such eagerness and care that I thought we were the only guests in the hotel for that day! I was so surprised, even for Marriott this experience was above and beyond. The single best service at a hotel I've ever received! The staff was polite, helpful and very happy to make sure our stay was going to be great. I wish I could personally thank the younger man (whose name I forgot although it might have started with a T) who was the front desk because he did a great job!

The amenities were superb as with all of my Marriott experiences. This is why I make it a point to stay at these hotels as a Member. Always clean, upscale decor and NOT outdated or dirty. You did not disappoint here in any way. The staff even made sure we had a refrigerator in our room as a special request as well as late check out for the next day (1pm). Again, they went above and beyond and we noticed, and it made our stay that much better because of it!

We ate at the Hotel restaurant which was right across the way in the other building. The all-you-can-eat buffet not only offered great variety and taste, but again, the price was very reasonable. The drinks were also very fairly priced. The service at dinner was excellent as well.

After our meal it was getting close to watching the fireworks on campus and the staff (our waiter) had taken the time to walk us out to some private seating that was reserved for guests. We had excellent front row seats to watch fireworks together. It was awesome to have experienced such fantastic, above-and-beyond service.

Overall I would proudly say that I would not only recommend this hotel to others but I would encourage others to try staying in this hotel for occasions such as the 4th of July because it was such a delight. They truly went above and beyond, especially when it came to service. In this day and age it always feels like staff go through the motions and do only what they are told and do just enough to 'get the job done'. But not at this Marriott. It was as if each member took so much pride in doing their job to the fullest and providing such superb service and I wanted to make sure that I took the time to let you all know that you did do a great job and that we noticed and we look forward to staying at this hotel again!

Room Tip: If you want a fridge or a specific floor, then ask for it. This hotel is very accommodating and will...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
THANK YOU for such a fantastic review! This was the first year we had this special package, dinner in The Common combined with a spectacular view of the fireworks, and it was a huge success! We plan on doing it again next year and know it will be even bigger and better! I am so glad you enjoyed the holiday with us.

If you wish information on future events, we have a facebok page (TheCommonCollegePark) and we will eventually have an events calendar; both sound like something you would be interested in. Check it out!

Thanks again and I know we will see you back here soon!
California/Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We enjoyed a room in the recently remodeled side of the conference center. Lovely decor, well appointed, spacious and the bed was comfortable. Wifi worked great, two flat screen TVs, but we had two glitches: the air fan sounded like a Mack truck and the accessible room given to us had a bathroom where the shower splashed all over the bathroom floor....slippery for the able. We ate dinner in the restaurant which has both expensive and reasonable choices. The crab salad wedge had scrumptious marinated fresh tomatoes and was hefty on the crab with a fantastic dressing. The crab sliders were a little heavy on the bread...I'd avoid them. Steak salad excellent. Breakfast cost is over the top...few well priced choices. Buffet with a wide variety of items was a hefty $16.95. If management is reading this, I'd recommend that you rethink your menu or offer a reasonable breakfast package. Hotel price is already on the high side. Finally, this hotel has hired staff members which are DEDICATED to truly excellent service! Without exception.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newly renovated section but avoid an accessible room if you do not require it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We just completed most of our Conference Center renovation in May, and I am happy to hear you like the new guest rooms! We do have some minor “glitches” to work out there, as you mentioned, but feel that we will get these taken care of quickly. I passed on all the comments regarding your meals in The Common (our new restaurant/pub) to our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager. We appreciate any and all feedback – it only serves to make us better, which in turn makes the customer happy and keeps you coming back for more! Thank you also for the comment on our staff. We do have a great group of hosts and they are truly dedicated to service excellence. Thanks again and I hope to see you back with us very soon!
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My first stay was about a year ago and I had one of the renovated rooms. The second time I was here, I had an old room. The difference was quite dramatic between the new and old rooms so I would recommend making sure you get a new room.

The first snag to our stay was that roughly 1/3 of our rooms were not ready when we arrived as a group. We arrived after check in time and I had given prior warning to the hotel that we would be arriving in one large group but we still had a lot of people waiting around in the lobby for their rooms. This was very difficult for us as we were here for work. The attitude at the front desk by the woman in charge was also very poor.

The restaurant was closed for renovation but the free snacks around dinner time and free breakfast was nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our hotel. Knowing you were here in April tells me that your room was in the hotel, as we were still under full construction/renovation at that time in the Conference Center. One area affected by the renovation was our food and beverage operation, so I am glad you were happy with the complimentary breakfast and hors d’oeuvres in the evening! We tried our best to make the renovation as easy on our guests as we possibly could. I apologize that it took some time for you and your guests to get checked in to your guest rooms. I don’t know what the situation was on that particular day, but I can say that I am sure the desk hosts did their best to accommodate you. Unfortunately, this was not a good experience for you and I apologize. We have a new Conference Center, guest rooms, restaurant/pub (The Common), etc., so I certainly hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again one day in the not too distant future.
Conway, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stay at this hotel one week each June. In the past, great service and lovely room. Not so this time. The newly remodeled room had too much furniture and no desk for working with a laptop. I expect they will figure that out and change it, or I can go back to one of the older rooms. The biggest problem was the lack of response to my complaints about: Internet did not work. I called the desk every day and asked them to send someone to check the wireless router; they never did. I got good connections in the lobby but who wants to sit in the lobby all night to work? Phone by bed was missing a cord; again, daily requests went unanswered. All it needed was a cord, for Pete's sake! No ice machine was available, and requests for ice went the same way of the other requests. Very polite staff, but absolutely nonresponsive to service requests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to let us know about your recent stay. Our goal is to meet and exceed each and every guest expectation, but in your case we did not succeed.

Please accept my apology for our lack of response to problems you experienced during your stay. I have shared your comments with our operations team and your concerns have been addressed. We value your feedback and appreciate you letting us know where we failed.

We appreciate your business and trust you will return in the future. We would love to have the opportunity to show you that what you experienced is not the exceptional service and product that I know we can and do provide.

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!