“Ok for Area” 3 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast + Free WiFi
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Hyattsville
ct
“Ok for Area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed for conference with husband. Room was renovated but very small, probably part blocked for group. Bed and sheets need the updating, bathroom accommodating. Management needs to step up training at bar and resturant to handle conference crowds. Meals were good and priced for DC area. Location probably best for the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking time to submit a review on our property. I appreciate your observations both on the room accommodation and our staff in The Common Restaurant/Pub. Please be assured that this information has already been passed on to the department head in each area. We hope you come back to stay with us again very soon!

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Ashburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I must say I've stayed at many hotels and many Marriott hotels and this one is by far one of my favorite of all time, if not THE best hotel I've ever stayed at!

I had looked at all of the hotels in the area and the reviews were average at best. I was very worried that I would have to end up settling for a sub par hotel experience when I stumbled upon the Marriott using Google Maps. I happened to be working on the UMD campus so I was eager to book this hotel immediately not only because it was a Marriott, but because of the superb location as well.

Upon booking I did look at the reviews and most were positive and some were average but I had never been disappointed with a Marriott before so I had high hopes. Oh, and the price was not only competitive, but cheaper than some of the other options - and for a Marriott! I did not hesitate to book.

Upon entering the actual hotel, hotel staff at the front desk greeted me and my significant other with such eagerness and care that I thought we were the only guests in the hotel for that day! I was so surprised, even for Marriott this experience was above and beyond. The single best service at a hotel I've ever received! The staff was polite, helpful and very happy to make sure our stay was going to be great. I wish I could personally thank the younger man (whose name I forgot although it might have started with a T) who was the front desk because he did a great job!

The amenities were superb as with all of my Marriott experiences. This is why I make it a point to stay at these hotels as a Member. Always clean, upscale decor and NOT outdated or dirty. You did not disappoint here in any way. The staff even made sure we had a refrigerator in our room as a special request as well as late check out for the next day (1pm). Again, they went above and beyond and we noticed, and it made our stay that much better because of it!

We ate at the Hotel restaurant which was right across the way in the other building. The all-you-can-eat buffet not only offered great variety and taste, but again, the price was very reasonable. The drinks were also very fairly priced. The service at dinner was excellent as well.

After our meal it was getting close to watching the fireworks on campus and the staff (our waiter) had taken the time to walk us out to some private seating that was reserved for guests. We had excellent front row seats to watch fireworks together. It was awesome to have experienced such fantastic, above-and-beyond service.

Overall I would proudly say that I would not only recommend this hotel to others but I would encourage others to try staying in this hotel for occasions such as the 4th of July because it was such a delight. They truly went above and beyond, especially when it came to service. In this day and age it always feels like staff go through the motions and do only what they are told and do just enough to 'get the job done'. But not at this Marriott. It was as if each member took so much pride in doing their job to the fullest and providing such superb service and I wanted to make sure that I took the time to let you all know that you did do a great job and that we noticed and we look forward to staying at this hotel again!

Room Tip: If you want a fridge or a specific floor, then ask for it. This hotel is very accommodating and will...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
THANK YOU for such a fantastic review! This was the first year we had this special package, dinner in The Common combined with a spectacular view of the fireworks, and it was a huge success! We plan on doing it again next year and know it will be even bigger and better! I am so glad you enjoyed the holiday with us.

If you wish information on future events, we have a facebok page (TheCommonCollegePark) and we will eventually have an events calendar; both sound like something you would be interested in. Check it out!

Thanks again and I know we will see you back here soon!
California/Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We enjoyed a room in the recently remodeled side of the conference center. Lovely decor, well appointed, spacious and the bed was comfortable. Wifi worked great, two flat screen TVs, but we had two glitches: the air fan sounded like a Mack truck and the accessible room given to us had a bathroom where the shower splashed all over the bathroom floor....slippery for the able. We ate dinner in the restaurant which has both expensive and reasonable choices. The crab salad wedge had scrumptious marinated fresh tomatoes and was hefty on the crab with a fantastic dressing. The crab sliders were a little heavy on the bread...I'd avoid them. Steak salad excellent. Breakfast cost is over the top...few well priced choices. Buffet with a wide variety of items was a hefty $16.95. If management is reading this, I'd recommend that you rethink your menu or offer a reasonable breakfast package. Hotel price is already on the high side. Finally, this hotel has hired staff members which are DEDICATED to truly excellent service! Without exception.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newly renovated section but avoid an accessible room if you do not require it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We just completed most of our Conference Center renovation in May, and I am happy to hear you like the new guest rooms! We do have some minor “glitches” to work out there, as you mentioned, but feel that we will get these taken care of quickly. I passed on all the comments regarding your meals in The Common (our new restaurant/pub) to our Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager. We appreciate any and all feedback – it only serves to make us better, which in turn makes the customer happy and keeps you coming back for more! Thank you also for the comment on our staff. We do have a great group of hosts and they are truly dedicated to service excellence. Thanks again and I hope to see you back with us very soon!
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My first stay was about a year ago and I had one of the renovated rooms. The second time I was here, I had an old room. The difference was quite dramatic between the new and old rooms so I would recommend making sure you get a new room.

The first snag to our stay was that roughly 1/3 of our rooms were not ready when we arrived as a group. We arrived after check in time and I had given prior warning to the hotel that we would be arriving in one large group but we still had a lot of people waiting around in the lobby for their rooms. This was very difficult for us as we were here for work. The attitude at the front desk by the woman in charge was also very poor.

The restaurant was closed for renovation but the free snacks around dinner time and free breakfast was nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our hotel. Knowing you were here in April tells me that your room was in the hotel, as we were still under full construction/renovation at that time in the Conference Center. One area affected by the renovation was our food and beverage operation, so I am glad you were happy with the complimentary breakfast and hors d’oeuvres in the evening! We tried our best to make the renovation as easy on our guests as we possibly could. I apologize that it took some time for you and your guests to get checked in to your guest rooms. I don’t know what the situation was on that particular day, but I can say that I am sure the desk hosts did their best to accommodate you. Unfortunately, this was not a good experience for you and I apologize. We have a new Conference Center, guest rooms, restaurant/pub (The Common), etc., so I certainly hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again one day in the not too distant future.
Conway, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stay at this hotel one week each June. In the past, great service and lovely room. Not so this time. The newly remodeled room had too much furniture and no desk for working with a laptop. I expect they will figure that out and change it, or I can go back to one of the older rooms. The biggest problem was the lack of response to my complaints about: Internet did not work. I called the desk every day and asked them to send someone to check the wireless router; they never did. I got good connections in the lobby but who wants to sit in the lobby all night to work? Phone by bed was missing a cord; again, daily requests went unanswered. All it needed was a cord, for Pete's sake! No ice machine was available, and requests for ice went the same way of the other requests. Very polite staff, but absolutely nonresponsive to service requests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to let us know about your recent stay. Our goal is to meet and exceed each and every guest expectation, but in your case we did not succeed.

Please accept my apology for our lack of response to problems you experienced during your stay. I have shared your comments with our operations team and your concerns have been addressed. We value your feedback and appreciate you letting us know where we failed.

We appreciate your business and trust you will return in the future. We would love to have the opportunity to show you that what you experienced is not the exceptional service and product that I know we can and do provide.
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed for one night in mid-June. I had a very spacious corner room that had recently been renovated (so they said -- it's been a few years since I was here last and I don't remember ever thinking it needed renovation). It was a very clean room with a calming ambiance. My television did not play all the channels but I was already in my pjs and wasn't about to call to ask for a repair. There were small service glitches. Two days before my arrival I received an email asking if I had special requests. Yes, I did, so I responded. I received an automated reply but then no actual communication and indeed no one had tended to my requests. It all worked out and I wasn't concerned, but on the other hand, why bother being attentive if in the end you aren't going to follow through? I had also been told I could have room service for breakfast even though it had not yet been formally instituted, but when it came down to it, no, I couldn't. The food in the recently renovated and re-imagined restaurant is quite good, but the service has many small issues to work out, although everyone is very nice and polite and eager to please. Just not always effective. If you have reason to be visiting University of Maryland, this is the best option. You can walk to anywhere on campus and they have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere you want/need to go within three miles of the hotel. This is a nice service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We always like hearing from our customers - it reinforces the good things and sometimes tells us where we need to improve. It sounds like you stayed in the Conference Center, which did just undergo a major renovation. So glad you were happy with your room! I understand already being in your pj’s and not wishing to be bothered; however a call to our front office would have fixed any issue you had with your TV. A brief call would have also corrected the “special request” items made, and I apologize that we missed this for you. You are correct, we do not yet provide room service (but will soon!) and I apologize that you were initially told we offer it. I do hope you return, not only to stay with us again, but also to try The Common (our restaurant/pub) once again. I am positive you will find a great improvement all the way around. I am happy that you were able to take advantage of our free shuttle service, which takes our hotel guests anywhere within a five-mile radius of the hotel. Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back with us very soon!
La Plata, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We needed a place to stay after the Kenny Chesney Concert at FedEx field. It was a last minute booking and the only hotel near that had rooms available. Not disappointed. We got to stay in the newly renovated section and it was beautiful. We were the first ones to stay in one of the new rooms. Décor was modern and loved it. When we got to the room we could not find the remote. I called down to the front desk and within 5 minutes we had a remote. We knew metro was nearby so we used the FREE shuttle service over to metro station. The shuttle driver was very friendly and my husband held a conversation with him the whole way over (which was not too far). We took metro to the concert so anyone who stays here plan on about 50 minute on metro. Not a bad trip. The walk to stadium is not as far as it seems when you are walking so it is do-able. One the way home we hopped on metro again and when we got back to metro near hotel we had to pay for a taxi to get back to hotel and it was only 10.00 so affordable and so nice that we did not have to drive. We had breakfast the next morning and the staff was very nice. We will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your day to review our property. I am happy you chose to stay with us! I am glad you were able to experience our newly renovated rooms in the Conference Center and enjoyed a meal in our new restaurant/pub, The Common. You are correct in that the stadium is about a 10-minute walk from the hotel, which makes it a convenient location for University of Maryland games and other events. You mentioned having to get a taxi to return to the hotel. When you stay with us again, be sure the shuttle driver gives you his card, so if you are returning during the times the shuttle service is available, he can return for a pick-up. Again, thank you for your review and for staying with us. See you again soon!!

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!