“Great Stay for the price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast + Free WiFi
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Hyattsville
La Plata, Maryland
“Great Stay for the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We needed a place to stay after the Kenny Chesney Concert at FedEx field. It was a last minute booking and the only hotel near that had rooms available. Not disappointed. We got to stay in the newly renovated section and it was beautiful. We were the first ones to stay in one of the new rooms. Décor was modern and loved it. When we got to the room we could not find the remote. I called down to the front desk and within 5 minutes we had a remote. We knew metro was nearby so we used the FREE shuttle service over to metro station. The shuttle driver was very friendly and my husband held a conversation with him the whole way over (which was not too far). We took metro to the concert so anyone who stays here plan on about 50 minute on metro. Not a bad trip. The walk to stadium is not as far as it seems when you are walking so it is do-able. One the way home we hopped on metro again and when we got back to metro near hotel we had to pay for a taxi to get back to hotel and it was only 10.00 so affordable and so nice that we did not have to drive. We had breakfast the next morning and the staff was very nice. We will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your day to review our property. I am happy you chose to stay with us! I am glad you were able to experience our newly renovated rooms in the Conference Center and enjoyed a meal in our new restaurant/pub, The Common. You are correct in that the stadium is about a 10-minute walk from the hotel, which makes it a convenient location for University of Maryland games and other events. You mentioned having to get a taxi to return to the hotel. When you stay with us again, be sure the shuttle driver gives you his card, so if you are returning during the times the shuttle service is available, he can return for a pick-up. Again, thank you for your review and for staying with us. See you again soon!!

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Teaneck, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at The Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College, during the Memorial day weekend as we were in town for a wedding. Nice hotel great accommodations considering that most hotels in the area were not highly rated. This hotel is clean and “The Common” restaurant had just opened a week ago following renovations. The service and staff are great, keep up the good work and don’t let the standards drop. And yes the food was good as well. Make sure you book the rate which includes breakfast for two adults and child and just check your final bill upon check out to make sure you are not charged. Anyway Nice Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our hotel. I am glad you had a great experience here and enjoyed our new restaurant/pub, The Common. We hope to see you back with us very soon!
Orange
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

No detail overlooked .... customer centric at all times .... logistics beyond reproach. I could go on indefinitely.

This past weekend had to be the most chaotic time of year for the hotel with 8,000 students graduating from the University of Maryland yet Mike McCarthy and his team never missed a beat or a chance to treat his guests as royalty or better yet as family.

The incredibly renovated part of an already impeccable hotel is only weeks old but you'd never know it as Mr. McCarthy has the hotel and restaurant exceptionally staffed. I have stayed there before yet every time I stay again I feel incredibly welcomed.

Anja the front desk ambassador of good will does not hesitate to go out of her way to make sure all is well in this home away from home. Service with a smile and true intent to please is exemplified from the GM to the Security guards in the NYC style lobby.

I will stay here whenever I am in the DC area even if half an hour away.

Thanks.
SPM

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to submit a review on our hotel. Yes, University of Maryland graduation weekend is typically a hectic time for us; even more so this year since the newly renovated conference center building was just opening up for business! Your observations on our team of associates, the service, our new restaurant/pub (The Common), etc. are all appreciated and wonderful to hear. I am so very happy that your experience was a great one and we look forward to your return soon!
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have a house near the University of Maryland and need an extra bedroom for guests from time to time. There are many hotels in the area surrounding the University of Maryland. Many of them I would not use to house my worst enemy. (The one exception is a Hampton Inn located on Baltimore Avenue almost at the Capital Beltway). Luckily, Marriott teamed with the University to build a Marriott hotel on the University of Maryland campus (actually the property of University College). It can be difficult to get a reservation, but it resolves the issue of where to house guest. The hotel is small (broken in two by a center courtyard), offers a nice breakfast, provides quality Marriott amenities and is very well located.

Room Tip: Asking for an upgraded room to get a larger room can be helpful if you plan to spend time there. Ot...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. We are happy that it is a "home away from home" for your out-of-town guests! As you or they may have noticed, one of our buildings has been under renovation since October 2012. Our new restaurant/pub, The Common, officially opens on June 1st. We hope you can take some time to visit and experience what we have to offer. We are very happy with and proud of our hotel and know you will be too! Hope to see you again soon.
Willow Grove, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is my second stay at this convenient hotel on the edge of the University of Maryland campus. This time, I stayed in the newer portion of the hotel because the older section (where I had stayed previously) was under extensive renovation. My room, with two queen beds, was exceptionally clean and pleasant, with nothing extraordinary--but with no surprises, either. Basic clean, comfortable hotel room. My only complaint: if there were room-darkening curtains or shades on the windows I couldn't find them (or figure them out), so I only had sheers to block out the street lights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard rather than the street for a bit less street noise if that sort...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment of your time to write a review on our property. We are glad that you have stayed with us several times and trust you will return again.

As you mention, the conference center is currently being renovated. Hopefully, when you return, everything will be complete and you will get to experience and enjoy all that will be new here - rooms, restaurant, lounge, fitness center, etc. We are excited about it and know our customers will love it!

There are blackout curtains in each and every room, and I do apologize that you were not able to locate them. Hopefully this will not happen again; however, if you have difficulty when you stay with us again, please contact the front desk so we can have an associate assist you.

Thank you for your review and we hope to see you back here very soon! Make it a great day.
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just return from a conference at this hotel. The hotel and conference center are currently under going some renovations (no restaurant or bar), but make it up for it with free breakfast, internet access, and Hors d'oeuvres. Once renovations are done it will be a wonderful hotel to stay in if visiting UMD. The entrance is unusual as you have to do a U-turn on Route 193, otherwise the hotel is close to the DC and Baltimore areas. The only issue I encountered was the quality of the water (it was visibly cloudy while filling a clear glass, had to let it run for a couple of minutes before it actually clear). Certain it was related to the renovation work or at least I hope it was. The staff was wonderful and you can expect the same level of service that the Marriott brand offers. Would definitively stay again if visiting UMD.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit comments on the Marriott Inn and Conference Center, UMUC. We always appreciate hearing from our guests!

As you mentioned, one building of the property is under renovation, which means we do not currently have a full service restaurant or bar. We are glad that you enjoyed the complimentary lobby breakfast and evening hors d’oeuvres we currently offer. We know that not having the restaurant and/or bar could be an inconvenience, so we have tried our best to eliminate that and make it pleasant for everyone during this time. We also have a cash bar in the evenings and have paired up with a local Italian restaurant for our guests who may wish to order from them for their evening meal.

I think it might be possible that the renovation may have had something to do with the water in your room running cloudy for a bit. This is the first time I have seen or heard this comment from any guest. If you had reported it to the front office, we certainly would have had someone check it for you.

Again, thank you for your comments. We are so very excited about the new product we will have to offer once the renovation is complete, so we hope to see you back with us very soon!
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was attending a conference on the UMD campus and stayed here to be in one of the nicer and safer hotels in College Park.
PROS: Delicious breakfast and a good variety of healthy and savory items to choose from, both hot and cold. Comfy bed and an assortment of pillows. Clean. Nice staff. Quiet and safe, for the area. Rate is at or below government per diem for hotels this time of year.
CONS:Not a convenient location, so let me elaborate: It's off of a highway and seems difficult to get to no matter what entrance you take. I had a short walk to the parking garage where parking was free, but the circuitous route to get there proved difficult to navigate no matter what direction I came from and one day I got stuck for 10 minutes behind a semi that came from a nearby loading zone and had to be navigated through the only entrance to the university from the hotel. Otherwise, you get stuck going on a highway in the other direction for 3 miles going out of the other exit. The only other bad part about the accessibility of the hotel is that at night UMD closes the gates to campus except for the main one at US-1. The gate guard said I could get to my hotel and didn't warn me about the other entrances/exits being closed off. I got lost driving around UMD looking for a way to get to the hotel for a half hour and finally used my smart phone to navigate my way back to the main gate, from which it took 10 minutes to drive around the outside of the campus and back to the hotel, accessing it from the wrong direction.

It's up to you: The on-site restaurant is being renovated and so is the gym. The restaurant is closed so you'll have to go elsewhere for dinner or grab a salad from the on-site snack shop (small variety), and the gym is just older equipment (not bad though) that's being significantly upgraded to really nice, super state-of-the-art cardio.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to write comments about our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our customers!

I am very glad that you enjoyed our breakfast, the beds and pillows, our staff, etc. As you mentioned, we do have pre-made sandwiches, salads, cheese and fruit, etc. in our gift shop. We also have paired up with a local Italian restaurant, where customers can go for dinner or the restaurant will deliver. Our customers have been quite happy with this option.

I am sorry that you had difficulty with UMD closing off entrances/exits, however, this is not something we have any control over.

Again, thank you for your observations and comments and we look forward to your return!

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!