“Convenient Place to Visit UMD” 4 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save 15% This Summer!
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
Orlando
“Convenient Place to Visit UMD”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just return from a conference at this hotel. The hotel and conference center are currently under going some renovations (no restaurant or bar), but make it up for it with free breakfast, internet access, and Hors d'oeuvres. Once renovations are done it will be a wonderful hotel to stay in if visiting UMD. The entrance is unusual as you have to do a U-turn on Route 193, otherwise the hotel is close to the DC and Baltimore areas. The only issue I encountered was the quality of the water (it was visibly cloudy while filling a clear glass, had to let it run for a couple of minutes before it actually clear). Certain it was related to the renovation work or at least I hope it was. The staff was wonderful and you can expect the same level of service that the Marriott brand offers. Would definitively stay again if visiting UMD.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit comments on the Marriott Inn and Conference Center, UMUC. We always appreciate hearing from our guests!

As you mentioned, one building of the property is under renovation, which means we do not currently have a full service restaurant or bar. We are glad that you enjoyed the complimentary lobby breakfast and evening hors d’oeuvres we currently offer. We know that not having the restaurant and/or bar could be an inconvenience, so we have tried our best to eliminate that and make it pleasant for everyone during this time. We also have a cash bar in the evenings and have paired up with a local Italian restaurant for our guests who may wish to order from them for their evening meal.

I think it might be possible that the renovation may have had something to do with the water in your room running cloudy for a bit. This is the first time I have seen or heard this comment from any guest. If you had reported it to the front office, we certainly would have had someone check it for you.

Again, thank you for your comments. We are so very excited about the new product we will have to offer once the renovation is complete, so we hope to see you back with us very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was attending a conference on the UMD campus and stayed here to be in one of the nicer and safer hotels in College Park.
PROS: Delicious breakfast and a good variety of healthy and savory items to choose from, both hot and cold. Comfy bed and an assortment of pillows. Clean. Nice staff. Quiet and safe, for the area. Rate is at or below government per diem for hotels this time of year.
CONS:Not a convenient location, so let me elaborate: It's off of a highway and seems difficult to get to no matter what entrance you take. I had a short walk to the parking garage where parking was free, but the circuitous route to get there proved difficult to navigate no matter what direction I came from and one day I got stuck for 10 minutes behind a semi that came from a nearby loading zone and had to be navigated through the only entrance to the university from the hotel. Otherwise, you get stuck going on a highway in the other direction for 3 miles going out of the other exit. The only other bad part about the accessibility of the hotel is that at night UMD closes the gates to campus except for the main one at US-1. The gate guard said I could get to my hotel and didn't warn me about the other entrances/exits being closed off. I got lost driving around UMD looking for a way to get to the hotel for a half hour and finally used my smart phone to navigate my way back to the main gate, from which it took 10 minutes to drive around the outside of the campus and back to the hotel, accessing it from the wrong direction.

It's up to you: The on-site restaurant is being renovated and so is the gym. The restaurant is closed so you'll have to go elsewhere for dinner or grab a salad from the on-site snack shop (small variety), and the gym is just older equipment (not bad though) that's being significantly upgraded to really nice, super state-of-the-art cardio.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to write comments about our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our customers!

I am very glad that you enjoyed our breakfast, the beds and pillows, our staff, etc. As you mentioned, we do have pre-made sandwiches, salads, cheese and fruit, etc. in our gift shop. We also have paired up with a local Italian restaurant, where customers can go for dinner or the restaurant will deliver. Our customers have been quite happy with this option.

I am sorry that you had difficulty with UMD closing off entrances/exits, however, this is not something we have any control over.

Again, thank you for your observations and comments and we look forward to your return!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel is located right on campus, so couldn't be more convenient. It's also easy to get to, from BWI airport -- if you ignore the instructions on their website! I strongly suspect that the instructions to go from I95 to I495 to Exit 25B will not work. Furthermore, it's much faster and super simple to take Route 295 from BWI instead. Just go south on 295, exit onto Route 193, and follow it straight to the Adelphi Rd intersection where you'll see the hotel and do a U-turn. Traffic can be terrible on both Route 295 and I95 at rush hour.

The hotel itself is perfectly decent. I appreciated the furniture, which included a little side table. I found it a bit cold at night, and frustrating that there's no control over the cool air blowing right onto my bed. The internet was pretty good, especially considering that it was free, a rarity at Marriotts and other big chain hotels. However, there was an unsightly tangle of cables and cords under the table, and a non-functional ethernet tangle on the desk. There were real glasses in the bathroom, wrapped in paper, olden-day style, which was a nice touch. The fixtures, including the toilet, were funky European style, which I like, since I can opt to save water on my flushes. The bath mat still had a bad stain that looked relatively fresh, so that was a tad icky, and the water tastes terrible. The little shop on the premises is extremely small and limited.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for taking time to send your comments about the Marriott Inn and Conference Center, UMUC. We appreciate all feedback our guests are willing to share.

There certainly are several ways to get to the hotel from BWI Airport and I like your suggestion of 295 (BWI Parkway) to 193, to Adelphi Road. It is typically a fairly easy ride coming that way. The only downfall would be that 295 only has two lanes, so if there is a traffic problem, I find it slightly worse than I495. Great suggestion though!

Terribly sorry to hear, and I apologize, that the bath mat had a stain on it. Without a room number, I cannot ask our rooms operations manager to check your particular room. However, with that said, the comment was passed on to the manager so that ALL rooms will be checked.

I am happy that you liked certain things in your room, i.e., the real glasses, fixtures, etc. I am slightly confused, however, on why you would only have had cold air blowing on your bed. The rooms do have individual heat/air controls, and if there was a problem with you only having cold air, then I would hope you would have reported it so we could have our maintenance department fix it for you.

Our gift shop is moderate in size. We do try to provide as many items as possible with the limited space we have there.

I am sure you noticed that the Conference Center is currently under renovation. We do hope you return for another stay at our hotel and see our new product. We are very excited about it!

Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I had to attend a meeting at the conference center which is on the campus of this property, and so stayed at the inn the prior evening. Although I tried to book the hotel several weeks before my visit to Baltimore, the cost was prohibitive, yet it dropped considerably closer to my check-in date and so I was able to reserve a room after all that met my company's travel guidelines for pricing.

I was assigned to a room in the newer building where the reception area is located, and found my quarters to be clean, ample and graciously appointed.

I did have trouble locating extra outlets (when you're traveling on business, it's all about re-charging electrical devices!). A co-worker who also stayed at this property told me the next morning she found outlets in the underside of the desk panel, but although I tried checking there, I was unable to locate any unused plugs; it's fair that I missed them given my fatigue. The one other unused outlet in the main room was broken, and so I plugged everything into the bathroom outlets.

Otherwise, though, my stay was quite pleasant. The lunch provided at the conference center, prepared by the Marriott, was absolutely outstanding: plenty of fresh, imaginative salads and hearty entrees, all served in a visually-pleasing buffet.

Do note the conference center is a short walk from both hotel buildings: fine when the weather is nice, but could be awkward if the weather is inclement or if you have luggage to tote.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer building where the reception desk is situated. You may be able to get be...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to send your comments about the Marriott Inn and Conference Center, UMUC. We appreciate any observations about the product, our associates, etc.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the banquet lunch. I will pass on the information to the Chef and our Banquet Staff.

We understand the need for business travelers to have enough electrical outlets and have been looking into the best options for our guest rooms.

I don't know if you noticed that the Conference Center building is currently under renovation. You mentioned having to walk outside between the buildings. That issue is being addressed during the renovation, i.e., a covered walkway is being constructed between the hotel and conference center, which will be nice during inclement weather. We know that it is a problem for our guests.

Again, thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We certainly hope you return to see us very soon!
Americus, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My caveat is that I stayed here with my family of five on Marriott Rewards points for a football game at the University of Maryland so I wasn't too concerned with having an exemplary experience.

Upon checking in, the attendant was in the back office and I had to wait a couple of minutes for her to come out, which I consider unacceptable. I also am consistently amazed how frequently I don't get a thank you for being a Marriott Elite member. Those are the little things that can make a stay more pleasant.

I will say that the two ladies manning the Concierge lounge were the best I have ever experienced. It was around 9 PM at night and the concierge lounge was still open (said they would close at 7:30 PM). They were cleaning up, but allowed us to come in and bent over backwards to supply my children with cereal, yogurt, milk, etc. They went way beyond the call of duty and we were very appreciative after traveling a couple of hours in the car with the kids for helping get us comfortable. They're positive experience moved the rating from three circles to four circles. They should be commended for their excellent customer service.

The room was your average Marriott room. I had trouble with getting a clear picture on ESPN, though the kids didn't mind as Cartoon Network came in perfectly.

The hotel provided a breakfast the next morning. There was a crowd and they ran out of pancakes and oatmeal. I never saw more pancakes and food come out. I didn't see the attendants bending over backwards to ensure everyone that there would be more food.

As I mentioned, we stayed there for a football game and the location was excellent. Parking was included with our stay and it took us ten minutes to walk to the football stadium with our three younger children.

The stay met our expectations and everyone slept well. Our stay was a success and we would do it again....on Marriott points.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mentone, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My stay in October 2012 was much better then my first stay. I am not sure what happened but my overall onion has changed. It was a good place to stay. Now the one issue I do have is the Concierge floor. It is not near as nice nor the help as nice as the other full service Marriott just a few miles away in Greenbelt, MD. I would still rather stay at the Marriott in Greenbelt, MD at 6400 Ivy Lane.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our hotel. We are happy that you were satisfied with your stay with us in October.

I was distressed to hear about your Concierge floor experience. On your next visit, if you wish, I would like to personally introduce you to Maria and Elena, our Concierge Staff, as we get compliments about them regularly.

Thank you again, for your comments and we hope to see you again soon!
Greensboro
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I'm an occasional contributor to TripAdvisor. I'm a frequent consumer of the views shared by other contributors. I'm frequent customer of Marriott's properties also a Marriott Platinum Premier Rewards member. My wife and I just completed a one night stay at this Marriott property on the University of Maryland's campus. We went into this reservation with our eyes open, after reading many of the negative comments shared by other contributors. Frankly, I had my doubts about the reviews. I'll never make that mistake again.

In my opinion, this is a very challenged property. I'm afraid we shared virtually every concern shared by other reviewers. Black hair all over the bathroom floor. An unattractive, damp, strange smell greeted us as we entered the room. No available local transportation around campus or local businesses. Additional laundry bags were not available when needed at the front desk this morning (bags were available when we checked out). Both the restaurant and lounge were closed until 4pm on a Friday afternoon (fortunately, the lounge manager offered to open early after we had to make the request in an adjacent building - why did we have to initiate this request? Shouldn't the front desk clerk offer to do this when we inquired during the check in process?). I read about each of these issues in previous posts - they shouldn't have been a surprise, but they were. I guess I expected the existing issues to be addressed.

I'd like to share few additional shortcomings we experienced. First, I guess I've become accustomed to being greeted during check in by a clerk that goes out of his or her way to mention a customer's status (Silver/Gold/Platinum/Platinum Premier) and thank you normally follows. None of this happened during our check in yesterday. Secondly, the Concierge lounge at this property was not open during the weekend. That's not uncommon for Marriott properties. What was unexpected was absolutely no offer to make up for the inconvenience - typically free breakfast or some other accommodation I've received at EVERY Marriott I've visited across the United States. I guess I've been spoiled. When I asked about this issue, the check in clerk stated "the management of this property has decided not to offer any accommodation for the unavailable Concierge lounge". I then asked for the manager's business card. I was told a card was not available, but the clerk did write his name on an unused key card carrier for me (another first - no business card). Third, my wife visited an on-site Starbuck's store. It took 15 minutes to purchase two regular coffees. A line formed. The clerk at Starbucks could have cared less.

I do have one last overall comment. It seems to me this property is very concerned about maintaining their LEEDS designation - more concerned about "being green" than taking care of their customers.

This morning, while checking out, an employee - he may have been the manager, I don't know, he didn't introduce himself, did hear me say our stay had not been a pleasure. He said, "Talk to me", no introduction, not, "can I help", not, "I'm sorry", not, "help me understand and let me make it right". I wasn't pleased when approached in what I perceived (maybe incorrectly) as a disrespectful manner, and asked him to check with his front desk clerk and read TripAdvisor for my detailed explanation.

Room Tip: purchsae the executive room, not the cozy room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!