“Decent and convenient” 3 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
New York City, New York
“Decent and convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel is located right on campus, so couldn't be more convenient. It's also easy to get to, from BWI airport -- if you ignore the instructions on their website! I strongly suspect that the instructions to go from I95 to I495 to Exit 25B will not work. Furthermore, it's much faster and super simple to take Route 295 from BWI instead. Just go south on 295, exit onto Route 193, and follow it straight to the Adelphi Rd intersection where you'll see the hotel and do a U-turn. Traffic can be terrible on both Route 295 and I95 at rush hour.

The hotel itself is perfectly decent. I appreciated the furniture, which included a little side table. I found it a bit cold at night, and frustrating that there's no control over the cool air blowing right onto my bed. The internet was pretty good, especially considering that it was free, a rarity at Marriotts and other big chain hotels. However, there was an unsightly tangle of cables and cords under the table, and a non-functional ethernet tangle on the desk. There were real glasses in the bathroom, wrapped in paper, olden-day style, which was a nice touch. The fixtures, including the toilet, were funky European style, which I like, since I can opt to save water on my flushes. The bath mat still had a bad stain that looked relatively fresh, so that was a tad icky, and the water tastes terrible. The little shop on the premises is extremely small and limited.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for taking time to send your comments about the Marriott Inn and Conference Center, UMUC. We appreciate all feedback our guests are willing to share.

There certainly are several ways to get to the hotel from BWI Airport and I like your suggestion of 295 (BWI Parkway) to 193, to Adelphi Road. It is typically a fairly easy ride coming that way. The only downfall would be that 295 only has two lanes, so if there is a traffic problem, I find it slightly worse than I495. Great suggestion though!

Terribly sorry to hear, and I apologize, that the bath mat had a stain on it. Without a room number, I cannot ask our rooms operations manager to check your particular room. However, with that said, the comment was passed on to the manager so that ALL rooms will be checked.

I am happy that you liked certain things in your room, i.e., the real glasses, fixtures, etc. I am slightly confused, however, on why you would only have had cold air blowing on your bed. The rooms do have individual heat/air controls, and if there was a problem with you only having cold air, then I would hope you would have reported it so we could have our maintenance department fix it for you.

Our gift shop is moderate in size. We do try to provide as many items as possible with the limited space we have there.

I am sure you noticed that the Conference Center is currently under renovation. We do hope you return for another stay at our hotel and see our new product. We are very excited about it!

Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I had to attend a meeting at the conference center which is on the campus of this property, and so stayed at the inn the prior evening. Although I tried to book the hotel several weeks before my visit to Baltimore, the cost was prohibitive, yet it dropped considerably closer to my check-in date and so I was able to reserve a room after all that met my company's travel guidelines for pricing.

I was assigned to a room in the newer building where the reception area is located, and found my quarters to be clean, ample and graciously appointed.

I did have trouble locating extra outlets (when you're traveling on business, it's all about re-charging electrical devices!). A co-worker who also stayed at this property told me the next morning she found outlets in the underside of the desk panel, but although I tried checking there, I was unable to locate any unused plugs; it's fair that I missed them given my fatigue. The one other unused outlet in the main room was broken, and so I plugged everything into the bathroom outlets.

Otherwise, though, my stay was quite pleasant. The lunch provided at the conference center, prepared by the Marriott, was absolutely outstanding: plenty of fresh, imaginative salads and hearty entrees, all served in a visually-pleasing buffet.

Do note the conference center is a short walk from both hotel buildings: fine when the weather is nice, but could be awkward if the weather is inclement or if you have luggage to tote.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer building where the reception desk is situated. You may be able to get be...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to send your comments about the Marriott Inn and Conference Center, UMUC. We appreciate any observations about the product, our associates, etc.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the banquet lunch. I will pass on the information to the Chef and our Banquet Staff.

We understand the need for business travelers to have enough electrical outlets and have been looking into the best options for our guest rooms.

I don't know if you noticed that the Conference Center building is currently under renovation. You mentioned having to walk outside between the buildings. That issue is being addressed during the renovation, i.e., a covered walkway is being constructed between the hotel and conference center, which will be nice during inclement weather. We know that it is a problem for our guests.

Again, thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We certainly hope you return to see us very soon!
Americus, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My caveat is that I stayed here with my family of five on Marriott Rewards points for a football game at the University of Maryland so I wasn't too concerned with having an exemplary experience.

Upon checking in, the attendant was in the back office and I had to wait a couple of minutes for her to come out, which I consider unacceptable. I also am consistently amazed how frequently I don't get a thank you for being a Marriott Elite member. Those are the little things that can make a stay more pleasant.

I will say that the two ladies manning the Concierge lounge were the best I have ever experienced. It was around 9 PM at night and the concierge lounge was still open (said they would close at 7:30 PM). They were cleaning up, but allowed us to come in and bent over backwards to supply my children with cereal, yogurt, milk, etc. They went way beyond the call of duty and we were very appreciative after traveling a couple of hours in the car with the kids for helping get us comfortable. They're positive experience moved the rating from three circles to four circles. They should be commended for their excellent customer service.

The room was your average Marriott room. I had trouble with getting a clear picture on ESPN, though the kids didn't mind as Cartoon Network came in perfectly.

The hotel provided a breakfast the next morning. There was a crowd and they ran out of pancakes and oatmeal. I never saw more pancakes and food come out. I didn't see the attendants bending over backwards to ensure everyone that there would be more food.

As I mentioned, we stayed there for a football game and the location was excellent. Parking was included with our stay and it took us ten minutes to walk to the football stadium with our three younger children.

The stay met our expectations and everyone slept well. Our stay was a success and we would do it again....on Marriott points.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mentone, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My stay in October 2012 was much better then my first stay. I am not sure what happened but my overall onion has changed. It was a good place to stay. Now the one issue I do have is the Concierge floor. It is not near as nice nor the help as nice as the other full service Marriott just a few miles away in Greenbelt, MD. I would still rather stay at the Marriott in Greenbelt, MD at 6400 Ivy Lane.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our hotel. We are happy that you were satisfied with your stay with us in October.

I was distressed to hear about your Concierge floor experience. On your next visit, if you wish, I would like to personally introduce you to Maria and Elena, our Concierge Staff, as we get compliments about them regularly.

Thank you again, for your comments and we hope to see you again soon!
Greensboro
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I'm an occasional contributor to TripAdvisor. I'm a frequent consumer of the views shared by other contributors. I'm frequent customer of Marriott's properties also a Marriott Platinum Premier Rewards member. My wife and I just completed a one night stay at this Marriott property on the University of Maryland's campus. We went into this reservation with our eyes open, after reading many of the negative comments shared by other contributors. Frankly, I had my doubts about the reviews. I'll never make that mistake again.

In my opinion, this is a very challenged property. I'm afraid we shared virtually every concern shared by other reviewers. Black hair all over the bathroom floor. An unattractive, damp, strange smell greeted us as we entered the room. No available local transportation around campus or local businesses. Additional laundry bags were not available when needed at the front desk this morning (bags were available when we checked out). Both the restaurant and lounge were closed until 4pm on a Friday afternoon (fortunately, the lounge manager offered to open early after we had to make the request in an adjacent building - why did we have to initiate this request? Shouldn't the front desk clerk offer to do this when we inquired during the check in process?). I read about each of these issues in previous posts - they shouldn't have been a surprise, but they were. I guess I expected the existing issues to be addressed.

I'd like to share few additional shortcomings we experienced. First, I guess I've become accustomed to being greeted during check in by a clerk that goes out of his or her way to mention a customer's status (Silver/Gold/Platinum/Platinum Premier) and thank you normally follows. None of this happened during our check in yesterday. Secondly, the Concierge lounge at this property was not open during the weekend. That's not uncommon for Marriott properties. What was unexpected was absolutely no offer to make up for the inconvenience - typically free breakfast or some other accommodation I've received at EVERY Marriott I've visited across the United States. I guess I've been spoiled. When I asked about this issue, the check in clerk stated "the management of this property has decided not to offer any accommodation for the unavailable Concierge lounge". I then asked for the manager's business card. I was told a card was not available, but the clerk did write his name on an unused key card carrier for me (another first - no business card). Third, my wife visited an on-site Starbuck's store. It took 15 minutes to purchase two regular coffees. A line formed. The clerk at Starbucks could have cared less.

I do have one last overall comment. It seems to me this property is very concerned about maintaining their LEEDS designation - more concerned about "being green" than taking care of their customers.

This morning, while checking out, an employee - he may have been the manager, I don't know, he didn't introduce himself, did hear me say our stay had not been a pleasure. He said, "Talk to me", no introduction, not, "can I help", not, "I'm sorry", not, "help me understand and let me make it right". I wasn't pleased when approached in what I perceived (maybe incorrectly) as a disrespectful manner, and asked him to check with his front desk clerk and read TripAdvisor for my detailed explanation.

Room Tip: purchsae the executive room, not the cozy room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lacey, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is not the place for recreation. If you are not attending an event at the University of Maryland, there is not much to do in the local area. Nice hotel, clean accommodations, restaurant is just ordinary and quite expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Rockville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

The Inn and Conference Center is at the periphery of the University of Maryland. It is under the Marriott brand but is the poorest Marriott I have ever been in. The building is lovely, and my room was adequate size, but lots of little things are wrong. The bath was slippery, only a poorly located grab bar, beds far too soft and uncomfortable, thin towels, etc. at least widi is free! There is a Starbucks, but the only restaurant, the Garden Restaurant, is totally mediocre with poor food, a terrible wine selection, and poor service. The only other place to eat is the bar, and that uses the restaurant kitchen and so service is equally slow. Room service is also very slow, and one needs a car to get to any other place to eat. Finally, while the Inn is, technically, walking distance to the University, the walk is 4 or 5 blocks to the closest point on campus. It would be good if there were a shuttle or even golf carts to get people to campus - even if it charged a small amount.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!