“Much Improved” 4 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save 15% This Summer!
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
Mentone, Alabama
“Much Improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My stay in October 2012 was much better then my first stay. I am not sure what happened but my overall onion has changed. It was a good place to stay. Now the one issue I do have is the Concierge floor. It is not near as nice nor the help as nice as the other full service Marriott just a few miles away in Greenbelt, MD. I would still rather stay at the Marriott in Greenbelt, MD at 6400 Ivy Lane.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our hotel. We are happy that you were satisfied with your stay with us in October.

I was distressed to hear about your Concierge floor experience. On your next visit, if you wish, I would like to personally introduce you to Maria and Elena, our Concierge Staff, as we get compliments about them regularly.

Thank you again, for your comments and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Greensboro
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I'm an occasional contributor to TripAdvisor. I'm a frequent consumer of the views shared by other contributors. I'm frequent customer of Marriott's properties also a Marriott Platinum Premier Rewards member. My wife and I just completed a one night stay at this Marriott property on the University of Maryland's campus. We went into this reservation with our eyes open, after reading many of the negative comments shared by other contributors. Frankly, I had my doubts about the reviews. I'll never make that mistake again.

In my opinion, this is a very challenged property. I'm afraid we shared virtually every concern shared by other reviewers. Black hair all over the bathroom floor. An unattractive, damp, strange smell greeted us as we entered the room. No available local transportation around campus or local businesses. Additional laundry bags were not available when needed at the front desk this morning (bags were available when we checked out). Both the restaurant and lounge were closed until 4pm on a Friday afternoon (fortunately, the lounge manager offered to open early after we had to make the request in an adjacent building - why did we have to initiate this request? Shouldn't the front desk clerk offer to do this when we inquired during the check in process?). I read about each of these issues in previous posts - they shouldn't have been a surprise, but they were. I guess I expected the existing issues to be addressed.

I'd like to share few additional shortcomings we experienced. First, I guess I've become accustomed to being greeted during check in by a clerk that goes out of his or her way to mention a customer's status (Silver/Gold/Platinum/Platinum Premier) and thank you normally follows. None of this happened during our check in yesterday. Secondly, the Concierge lounge at this property was not open during the weekend. That's not uncommon for Marriott properties. What was unexpected was absolutely no offer to make up for the inconvenience - typically free breakfast or some other accommodation I've received at EVERY Marriott I've visited across the United States. I guess I've been spoiled. When I asked about this issue, the check in clerk stated "the management of this property has decided not to offer any accommodation for the unavailable Concierge lounge". I then asked for the manager's business card. I was told a card was not available, but the clerk did write his name on an unused key card carrier for me (another first - no business card). Third, my wife visited an on-site Starbuck's store. It took 15 minutes to purchase two regular coffees. A line formed. The clerk at Starbucks could have cared less.

I do have one last overall comment. It seems to me this property is very concerned about maintaining their LEEDS designation - more concerned about "being green" than taking care of their customers.

This morning, while checking out, an employee - he may have been the manager, I don't know, he didn't introduce himself, did hear me say our stay had not been a pleasure. He said, "Talk to me", no introduction, not, "can I help", not, "I'm sorry", not, "help me understand and let me make it right". I wasn't pleased when approached in what I perceived (maybe incorrectly) as a disrespectful manner, and asked him to check with his front desk clerk and read TripAdvisor for my detailed explanation.

Room Tip: purchsae the executive room, not the cozy room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lacey, Washington, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is not the place for recreation. If you are not attending an event at the University of Maryland, there is not much to do in the local area. Nice hotel, clean accommodations, restaurant is just ordinary and quite expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Rockville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

The Inn and Conference Center is at the periphery of the University of Maryland. It is under the Marriott brand but is the poorest Marriott I have ever been in. The building is lovely, and my room was adequate size, but lots of little things are wrong. The bath was slippery, only a poorly located grab bar, beds far too soft and uncomfortable, thin towels, etc. at least widi is free! There is a Starbucks, but the only restaurant, the Garden Restaurant, is totally mediocre with poor food, a terrible wine selection, and poor service. The only other place to eat is the bar, and that uses the restaurant kitchen and so service is equally slow. Room service is also very slow, and one needs a car to get to any other place to eat. Finally, while the Inn is, technically, walking distance to the University, the walk is 4 or 5 blocks to the closest point on campus. It would be good if there were a shuttle or even golf carts to get people to campus - even if it charged a small amount.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Vienna, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights on business. Rooms were smaller than a dorm room. The air was either on or off, you couldn't set it. There are signs in the shower telling you to let the hot water run for a while in the morning so it could warm up. The rooms were musky and damp. There was no refrigerator. For $170 a night i expected more. To finish off my visit. The maids put a comforter on my bed that had fresh (it was still red) blood on it. When I told the front desk when i checked out they said sorry. that's it

Room Tip: Paper thin walls add to the entertainment of the building that had to have once held students of the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Chamblee, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This hotel is convenient if you're visiting University of Maryland.
However, we ended up staying here after a friend booked us for 3 nights last month. Our itinerary was to visit Washington DC, so it was pretty much a hassle to drive from this location where traffic is worse. It's our first time in this State and was clueless that an 11 mile distance would take us up to 50 minutes to reach our destination.
When we reached this hotel late in the afternoon, their front desk personnel doesn't seem to be herself. A friend booked us for 2 rooms but i was given a set of keys for one room.I had to go back and ask if those keys were good for two rooms.She was even surprised and checked back our reservation. Then she handed me another set of keys for the other room. We ended up staying in the old building across w/c we found really odd for a Mariott hotel. There wasn't any porter and hand trucks in sight so we have to drag our luggages to our rooms.One of the elavators smell musty and our "cozy room" w/ king size bed was so cramped. We could also hear loud people in the hallway that night.
The next day while we were heading back to the hotel, we saw the front desk lady going our direction, too. She just glanced at us blankly and looked away- no smile nor greetings of whatsoever.
Lastly when we got the bill, the first room was charged to my credit card but the second room was charged to my friend who booked us ( i only found out about this few days after my friend gave me a call). Both should've been charged to mine. It seems like this blonde lady wasn't thinking straight the day we got there.
In our next visit to DC, we'll definitely avoid this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hotel is a perfectly good choice when visiting the University of Maryland. It is right on the edge of campus, easily accessible from the main road, but felt safe. I agree with some of the other reviews that it's annoying to have the restaurant/bar in the building across the street and the parking lot in a separate structure a half block ish away. The manager talks about a renovation in the near future however that would correct these issues. A great improvement would be to add porters/valet service. We were there in the summer so perhaps they do provide these services at busier times. I found that it was weird to pull up to a hotel I wasnt familiar with and have to figure out that I had to go inside, ask what to do with our car, find a luggage cart, unload the car onto the luggage cart, wait while my husband parked the car, check in to the hotel, steer a heavy luggage cart between me & my husband to the room. What if I had been traveling alone? That really would not have worked! Maybe I'm too spoiled after having stayed at the Ritz Carlton, but I would think adding the porter/valet would really help take the edge off having to walk across the street to go to the restaurant or get coffee in the morning from the Starbucks in the lobby of the "other" building!

On a positive note...I thought the room was clean, which is paramount, and nicely decorated with very comfy bed linens and excellent water pressure in the shower! And the young lady working as the bartender/waitress in the restaurant was extremely sweet.

Room Tip: Don't take a cozy room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!