“Adequate Place to Stay While Visiting UMUC” 3 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast + Free WiFi
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Hyattsville
Sewickley, Pennsylvania
“Adequate Place to Stay While Visiting UMUC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We just stayed at this hotel while visiting the University for a campus visit. It was adequate, as the title of this review states. It is located right on the border of the University. As other reviews state, you can walk to campus, but it is not thru a pedestrian friendly area--- across parking lots and it is not well marked with signage.

Staff was fine-- pleasant enough when checking in but not real forthcoming with information about nearby amenities. No complimentary breakfst was offered, so I inquired about what was available-- the restaurant onsite had a $20pp breakfast buffet I was told. We ran out and bought donuts for morning instead. The room was clean. We had to request more toiletries and towels as a family of 5 was staying in the room. We got them without a problem. Loved the toiletries-- Bath and Body Works Aromatherapy Orange Ginger. We had also ordered a rollaway bed. This was not there when we arrived and we had to call to get it brought up. The room was quiet. We got our wake up call as requested.

2 odd things we noticed: 1.) when we arrived back to our floor (3rd) on Sunday evening after doing some sightseeing at about 10:30 pm, an overwhelming stench of onions was everywhere. It was not just a little bit onion-y. It was crazy onion-y, as if some onion processing plant was exhausting into the hallway. Really gross. and 2.) the lounge at the facility (Oracle, I think), which advertised "late night bites and drinks," turned my husband and I away at the door at 11-ish pm on Sunday night when we went over to share a cocktail without the kids. There was a large group still seated in the lounge that was showing no signs of departure, but we were still told rather abruptly that we would not be served.

Overall, we would stay again when visiting campus. That would be the only reason.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
We appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to review our property. Yes, we are very close to and within walking distance to the University of Maryland campus and as such there is not a residential area around or between us; the only way to walk there is through the campus. We do not advertise or offer a complimentary breakfast, however, we do have Starbucks for something quick and light or our Garden Restaurant. We don’t offer a breakfast buffet every morning, but will do so if our occupancy is high and also if we know that there is something going on at the Campus. We realize that folks will want to get in and out quickly and a buffet is the best way to accommodate. Very unusual, the onion-y smell you detected. You did not mention whether or not you reported it to anyone; if that were the case, perhaps someone from our Security Department would have been able to try to identify where the odor was coming from. Please accept my apology. I am very sorry that you were not able to enjoy a cocktail in our Oracle Lounge and were turned away around 11:00 p.m. As this is not our standard, we are looking into some recent Sundays to determine when this may have happened and will take corrective action. Thank you, again, for taking the time to send us your comments, observations and concerns. We do hope you choose to stay with us again in the future!

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

I stayed at The Inn & Conference Center at U of MD College Park. During previous stays, I have had a room along Adelphi Road, which had so much traffic that it interfered with sleep. On another stay, I was kept awake by some sound of water rushing across the ceiling, probably associated with toilets flushing during the night. So, I asked for a quiet room.
The hotel was relatively dead, but I never expected to have a room at a Marriott with no heat. I set the thermostat after a big day of travel and went out to dinner. Upon my return, I noticed the room was cold, and the unit was blowing cold air. I picked up the cordless phone to notify the desk (around midnight). The phone battery must have been dead as I was unable to get a dialtone. I called the front desk from my cellphone. I got cut off the first time, and then was put on hold so long that I thought I was cut off. I got dressed and went down to the lobby to tell them about these issues. All the clerk could say, repeatedly, was "I'm sorry, Mam".
It got worse from there. After demanding a new room with heat, the manager came to see me the next day. He had a retort for every complaint I experienced. He also told me I should have given their engineer a chance to fix the heat. I asked if they even have an engineer on staff overnight, plus, would I have to wait for parts? I was at the point of exhaustion and this was an experience that made me realize that Marriott needs to maintain their properties better than they do. I told the manager that if a room has no heat, they should immediately offer a different room, especially if it's late at night. Also, they should have more employees at the desk. I had to wait to talk to the clerk as people were checking in and he was the only one on duty.
I filled out the Marriott survey online and asked in the comment box at the end for a response. No word yet. It's been over 2 weeks.
The hotel is situated most conveniently to U of MD.
We are loyal to Marriott and have been staying at this property for a year and a half when we visited. We use to stay at The Conference Center at Georgetown when Marriott owned the property, and when we stayed there or Key Bridge, the buildings were maintained and the staff treated us like family.
I told the clerk and manager that Marriott has to do better. At my insistence, 2 women security guards transferred my baggage to my new room. Fortunately, I had not unpacked, so that was easy enough and the guards literally saved the day. They even went down to the desk and got the keys changed for me. Those security guards were wonderful.
I have bursitis and a post-surgical knee. I travel with an ice pack for swelling and they did provide a refrigerator. But I did not need all the hassle, extra physical demands at the end of a long day of travel. I finally got settled into my room around 1:30 am.
I expect a standard of excellence from Marriott that failed on this visit.
I will say, I had lunch the following day at the Garden Cafe, ordering a cheeseburger. It was delicious. I subbed out a salad for the fries, and the salad was beautiful. It was too much to eat. They wrapped it with Saran and I took it to my room and ate it later that day. It stayed very fresh in the fridge.

Room Tip: From previous stays, I'd say to try to get a room on the interior perimeter of the complex.
Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to tell us about your recent stay. It is only through feedback from customers such as you that assist us in improving the property and our overall customer service. As you noted, you are a loyal Marriott customer and we thank you for that!

There are multiple issues mentioned in your review and I won’t touch on each and every one of them. However, please know that each item has been read and looked at, reviewed with department heads, and given much attention so that we can be sure everything is taken care of.

We know that we need to “modernize” and are beginning a major renovation scheduled to begin in the Summer of 2012, which will address your observations and more! We are currently working with designers and architects who will help us completely transform the hotel. Until then, our goal is to provide great customer service and wonderful accommodations.

Thank you, again, for your feedback. We do hope you continue to stay with us in the future. Make it a great day!
Ithaca, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I enjoyed my stay in this hotel. My room was cheerful, bright and clean. The bed was very, very comfortable, and there was a variety of pillows to choose from. Unlike many hotels, I could actually open the window to let in some fresh air, which was wonderful. Wi-Fi internet was fast and reliable. Room service was fast and friendly. There's a Starbucks in the lobby. Even though the hotel is technically on campus, it is located away from the main residential area, which means no frat parties outside your window. In fact, it is very quiet. The flip side is that the surrounding area is not particularly pedestrian friendly, and feels vaguely unsafe after dark. There are no food/drink options within walking distance (other than inside the hotel itself). If you have a car or a local host to cart you around, this is a great choice; otherwise, you should probably look elsewhere.

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Ridgewood, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

This was my 4th stay in the University of Maryland area and my first time at the Inn & Conference Center. It's a nice enough hotel with some quirky features. I didn't think it was enough of a value for me to return next time I'm in the area.

We were there during the pre-Halloween storm so it was raining/snowing every time we needed to walk outside. And because of where the garage and restaurants are located, we were constantly walking outside. Yes, they provide umbrellas, but it is still inconvenient.

We arrived early and the reservation clerk promised to call me on my cell when our room was ready. They never called. Wifi service in the room was spotty so I went to the Starbucks to get good Wifi. The bed gave me a backache but the exercise room was excellent for stretching out my back. A swimming pool would have been nice. We didn't eat in any of the restaurants so I can't give any opinions on them.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Richmond,VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Nice hotel on the UMD campus, but very difficult to get to by car as the road access is very, very poor. Once you get there it is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed at this on campus hotel for orientation and then again for move in day in August. This hotel is a Marriot but does not feel like one. It is clean and well maintained but does not have many amenities. This really was not an issue for us as we did not spend much time there but it is really just a clean nearby place to spend the night if you are visiting UMD. The hotel is right on the perimeter of the campus so you can walk to the dorms, Capital One Stadium and many other buildings but be prepared to walk. You really need a car because the hotel does not have a shuttle to take you to the campus. The walk to a dorm could be at least a mile depending on which side of campus you are visiting. We did think it was strange that there was no shuttle given the miles of campus. The hotel itself is clean and the staff is freindly but there are few amenities. The consierge lounge is not up to Marriot standards at all and there really is no place to eat. There is a Starbucks in the conference center across the outdoor courtyard and a very small restaurant. The hotel is pretty large and these eating areas are very small- really set up for conference style guests.

If you are staying here to visit your UMD student this is probably your best be given the limited hotels in the area but you will need to drive to restaurants and to the campus.

Room Tip: If your bringing your family reserve a "larger room" They have some smaller rooms too.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Thank you for taking time away from your day to write a review on our property. We love hearing from customers like you!
Because we are a conference center, I would agree with you in that both the look and feel of our property is slightly different than that of a full-service hotel, although we do have many of the same amenities (concierge lounge, restaurant, bar/lounge, business center, fitness center, etc.). Also, our property will undergo a total renovation, which will modernize the facility, between 2012 and 2014.
As you mention, it is within walking distance of the university and many of its’ buildings and facilities. Having a shuttle that goes to the University would be so nice for all of our guests (whether traveling for business or pleasure); we are working on this and hopefully when you return, a shuttle will be waiting to take you over to the University!
Again, we thank you for your comments and we hope to see you back with us very soon.
Ann Arbor, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

In general the accommodations were excellent. The room was excellent in general, even if the TV service didn't include AMC so I could watch "Breaking Bad" :-)

General issues and challenges:
- If you don't have a car, dining options are essentially that available at the hotel unless one is willing to walk a mile or more on pedestrian unfriendly roads.
- No swimming pool
- One day I returned to the hotel and found the door had not been completely closed, which had to have been by the room cleaning services staff.
- The university organization that had arranged to pay for my room during my stay had arranged payment with a letter and credit card, which was as apparently required and which had been submitted about4 weeks in advance. When I checked in, they had no record of this payment arrangement. This was handled easily enough by the organization, though, but could have been an issue if my contact had not been available when I checked in.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review on our property. We are glad that you were satisfied with your room accommodations.
You are correct in your observation about the property not being within walking distance to restaurants, shopping, etc. With that being said, we do hope you enjoyed a meal or two in our Garden Restaurant or the Oracle Lounge.
Our property will undergo a total renovation beginning next year = it is possible that a pool may be included in those plans… we will keep our fingers crossed for it; like yourself, many of our guests would like to be able to relax poolside or use it for exercise.
I am discouraged by your comment of your room door not being secured. I have shared your comment with our Director of Loss Prevention and our Director of Room Operations. Please accept our apology that this happened.
The issue with the front desk not initially having the payment information for your room, I am making sure that the Front Office Manager is aware – I am happy that it did work out okay for you, however, you are correct in that it could have been a problem had your contact not been available.
Again, we thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us and we hope you already have a future visit planned with us!

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!