“Nice hotel adjacent to UMd campus” 4 of 5 stars
Review of College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center

You added College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3501 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (Formerly The Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
Ithaca, New York
“Nice hotel adjacent to UMd campus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I enjoyed my stay in this hotel. My room was cheerful, bright and clean. The bed was very, very comfortable, and there was a variety of pillows to choose from. Unlike many hotels, I could actually open the window to let in some fresh air, which was wonderful. Wi-Fi internet was fast and reliable. Room service was fast and friendly. There's a Starbucks in the lobby. Even though the hotel is technically on campus, it is located away from the main residential area, which means no frat parties outside your window. In fact, it is very quiet. The flip side is that the surrounding area is not particularly pedestrian friendly, and feels vaguely unsafe after dark. There are no food/drink options within walking distance (other than inside the hotel itself). If you have a car or a local host to cart you around, this is a great choice; otherwise, you should probably look elsewhere.

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Ridgewood, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

This was my 4th stay in the University of Maryland area and my first time at the Inn & Conference Center. It's a nice enough hotel with some quirky features. I didn't think it was enough of a value for me to return next time I'm in the area.

We were there during the pre-Halloween storm so it was raining/snowing every time we needed to walk outside. And because of where the garage and restaurants are located, we were constantly walking outside. Yes, they provide umbrellas, but it is still inconvenient.

We arrived early and the reservation clerk promised to call me on my cell when our room was ready. They never called. Wifi service in the room was spotty so I went to the Starbucks to get good Wifi. The bed gave me a backache but the exercise room was excellent for stretching out my back. A swimming pool would have been nice. We didn't eat in any of the restaurants so I can't give any opinions on them.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Richmond,VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Nice hotel on the UMD campus, but very difficult to get to by car as the road access is very, very poor. Once you get there it is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We stayed at this on campus hotel for orientation and then again for move in day in August. This hotel is a Marriot but does not feel like one. It is clean and well maintained but does not have many amenities. This really was not an issue for us as we did not spend much time there but it is really just a clean nearby place to spend the night if you are visiting UMD. The hotel is right on the perimeter of the campus so you can walk to the dorms, Capital One Stadium and many other buildings but be prepared to walk. You really need a car because the hotel does not have a shuttle to take you to the campus. The walk to a dorm could be at least a mile depending on which side of campus you are visiting. We did think it was strange that there was no shuttle given the miles of campus. The hotel itself is clean and the staff is freindly but there are few amenities. The consierge lounge is not up to Marriot standards at all and there really is no place to eat. There is a Starbucks in the conference center across the outdoor courtyard and a very small restaurant. The hotel is pretty large and these eating areas are very small- really set up for conference style guests.

If you are staying here to visit your UMD student this is probably your best be given the limited hotels in the area but you will need to drive to restaurants and to the campus.

Room Tip: If your bringing your family reserve a "larger room" They have some smaller rooms too.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Thank you for taking time away from your day to write a review on our property. We love hearing from customers like you!
Because we are a conference center, I would agree with you in that both the look and feel of our property is slightly different than that of a full-service hotel, although we do have many of the same amenities (concierge lounge, restaurant, bar/lounge, business center, fitness center, etc.). Also, our property will undergo a total renovation, which will modernize the facility, between 2012 and 2014.
As you mention, it is within walking distance of the university and many of its’ buildings and facilities. Having a shuttle that goes to the University would be so nice for all of our guests (whether traveling for business or pleasure); we are working on this and hopefully when you return, a shuttle will be waiting to take you over to the University!
Again, we thank you for your comments and we hope to see you back with us very soon.
Ann Arbor, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

In general the accommodations were excellent. The room was excellent in general, even if the TV service didn't include AMC so I could watch "Breaking Bad" :-)

General issues and challenges:
- If you don't have a car, dining options are essentially that available at the hotel unless one is willing to walk a mile or more on pedestrian unfriendly roads.
- No swimming pool
- One day I returned to the hotel and found the door had not been completely closed, which had to have been by the room cleaning services staff.
- The university organization that had arranged to pay for my room during my stay had arranged payment with a letter and credit card, which was as apparently required and which had been submitted about4 weeks in advance. When I checked in, they had no record of this payment arrangement. This was handled easily enough by the organization, though, but could have been an issue if my contact had not been available when I checked in.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review on our property. We are glad that you were satisfied with your room accommodations.
You are correct in your observation about the property not being within walking distance to restaurants, shopping, etc. With that being said, we do hope you enjoyed a meal or two in our Garden Restaurant or the Oracle Lounge.
Our property will undergo a total renovation beginning next year = it is possible that a pool may be included in those plans… we will keep our fingers crossed for it; like yourself, many of our guests would like to be able to relax poolside or use it for exercise.
I am discouraged by your comment of your room door not being secured. I have shared your comment with our Director of Loss Prevention and our Director of Room Operations. Please accept our apology that this happened.
The issue with the front desk not initially having the payment information for your room, I am making sure that the Front Office Manager is aware – I am happy that it did work out okay for you, however, you are correct in that it could have been a problem had your contact not been available.
Again, we thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us and we hope you already have a future visit planned with us!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed there with family on a Thursday and Friday nights. Hotel is laid out strangely, as you have to go outside of building and cross "street" to get to restaurant and bar (didn't see if there was a tunnel or anything for inclement weather). Restaurant was in smaller windowless room, so we ate dinner in bar/lounge. We had concerierge access, but our keys didn't work at first--had to trade them in. Our room was clean, but they don't leave many small towels. Bathroom lacks good ventilation. Parking was free but in structure next door--in the summer it seemed to be a hassle every time we left the structure.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Marriott Inn and Conference Center UMUC. We value feedback from our customers and we want everyone’s experience to be a good one. It is important to receive feedback so we can make necessary improvements.

When the hotel building was added in 2004 (as you noted, we have two buildings), we did not place any food and beverage outlets in that building, nor did the designers build a connecting walkway. This was unfortunate, as it is often an inconvenience to have to walk outside when it is raining (we do provide complimentary umbrellas), too hot, snowing, etc. The good news is that our entire facility will begin a multi-year renovation in 2012. This renovation will transform the entire property, thus effecting every area you touch on in your comments.

You mention that our Garden Restaurant has no windows – one entire side is enclosed, the other side is all windows which look out onto a small garden courtyard/patio with outside seating, a small fountain, etc.; it’s unfortunate that you did not see this as it is very attractive and pretty. However, I am happy that you enjoyed our Oracle Lounge.

We hope that you can stay with us again, especially after the total renovation is completed. We know that you will see a completely different hotel and be pleasantly surprised.

Again, thank you for helping us make improvements and we hope to see you back very soon!
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

1) there was banging throughout the room until 10;30pm. It sounded like a door being open, banged shut and then the latch catching. I thought it was workers during the day but then it continued. My husband doesn't like to change rooms and luckily, it didn't last 24/7 but it certainly precluded my going to sleep. That was the worse. It really irritated me.
2) 2) we were in the conference building which was like being in the secondary building. The staff cared about the affairs but not the guests.
3) 3) Soda....1st, I called and was told it was on the 3rd and 5th floors although I specified I was in the conference building. Then I also tried the basement near the fitness center. Then I called again and was told it was on the 2nd floor, in a non-air-conditioned alcove behind the stairs. It's a huge building and there is only 1 soda machine. Anyhow, it didn't work, it was 9 pm and I didn't want to walk across the courtyard and try to get someone to tell me where a soda machine was. I told my husband that trip adviser would hear about this. How can there be no place to get soda in a huge building. And there were dozens of bottles of soda being wheeled out to the affairs.
4) we went to the lounge which did not look like it had been cleaned often. The drinks were $10 each (I didn't get one) and I mentioned that we certainly weren't paying for the ambience. And condiments were near every seat--In a bar!! Not exactly what you want to see when you get a drink. Then I looked at the dessert menu and it said that the chocolate dessert was the chef's choice. I asked the waiter/bartender what the chocolate dessert was and he looked at me like I was from Mars. Then he also looked at the $20 bill my husband had like he did not know where he would get change. Then about 20-30minutes later, he brought out the dessert, said it would be on the house but my husband insisted that he tip the bartender the amount the cake (which did not taste good and which i did not finish) cost. And so, my husband left the $20 minus the amount I needed to get a oouple sodas--see the above. There was only one other person in the lounge....
9) 5) we got the cozy rooms but they were tiny...my daughter said that they should just say that it was a wall to wall bed. The main problem was the teensy bathroom.
10) Also, I had reserved the rooms about a week to 10 days before we went and then I happened to look on the reservation site the day before we left. Then , the rooms were $10/night less. Is that any way to treat someone who reserved in advance? I figure I should have looked the day we left but I didn't have enough time.
However, it was clean.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
PCamp1, Hotel Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. Feedback allows us to be aware of what our guests are experiencing.

You mention a “banging noise” outside of your room that went on for awhile, but don’t mention whether or not you reported it to anyone. I can understand how this could be quite annoying - I would not have liked it either! It is not something that should have been happening and if we had been made aware of it, someone from our Security department would have made sure that whoever was causing it to discontinue whatever they were doing.

In the building where your room was located we do have soda machines on the 2nd and 4th floors. As I am sure it became apparent to one of our staff members that you spoke with that you were having difficulty in locating a machine and/or getting a soft drink, they should have “gone the extra mile” and taken care of it for you. I have made sure that the Manager in that department is aware of what occurred and I do apologize.

I agree with your comment about our “cozy” rooms and the lack of space in the bathrooms. We are currently planning a renovation, scheduled to begin in 2012, and some changes to these guest rooms is on the list. We feel that our customers will be quite happy with all the changes that will be made in both buildings!

Condiments are kept available in our Oracle Lounge as we do serve food (light items) there on a regular basis.

It sounds like your overall experience here was certainly not the best. With that being said, we do hope that you would choose to stay with us again and, most importantly, that the experience you had with us does not dissuade you from choosing Marriott hotels in the future.

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!