“Great staff, old property” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Hunt Valley
“Great staff, old property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here for business. The staff was super friendly and helpful, but the hotel itself just has an old, tired vibe to it. The sheet on my bed looked like it had been washed a million times to the point where it was see through and soft. I asked for sheets to be brought up and I got nice new crisp ones - why weren't these on the bed originally? It's little things like this that upset me because they are so easy to fix and ensure you have happy customers. The sink plug was broke so no water drained out of the sink - don't you think housekeeping would know this when they were cleaning the room and get it fixed before the next guest arrived? Instead I had to call maintenance and get it fixed. It took five minutes, but i had to do it. Again, just old and tired. But the front desk staff and maintenance were great and very friendly.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
LKyle221, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hello Novakat93,
I appreciate the honest feedback about the hotel. I will make sure the staff is aware of your nice comments. Also about the small, and especially, fixable, detailed items that we missed while you were here. We do have a reporting system in place for our housekeepers, and will review it again. We strive to become the best in Hunt Valley and this will be a step for us in our journey. Thank you again for your time and your loyalty.
Warm regards,

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My company showed up a day early and somehow manage to get a room last minute here. The rate was very good and the updated rooms they enjoyed. This Courtyard was remodeled over the past year. The lobby is was updated to match other Courtyards. The rooms are all remodel compare to what it was and you can tell unlike other hotels which say remodel and just put a coat of paint on it. The staff was very friendly and helped my company. Overall I think my company will stay here again! I was impress with everything as well when I went to visit them before our day trips and hang out with them at night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
LKyle221, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
JBonn659,
Thank you for your kind comments about the hotel. I am so glad that both you and your company enjoyed our hotel. We certainly do enjoy meeting all our guests and their guests. I will pass on your comments to my well deserving associates. Just a quick FYI, our Courtyard BISTRO is open to the public for breakfast and dinner daily. If you like Starbucks, that is all day long. When you drop in for coffee or next time guests are in, please stop by the front desk to say hello
Proctorville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Our son was accepted into the Sound of America Honor band and chorus which involved him staying several days at Elizabethtown College and then embarking on a 17 day trip to Europe. He would stay in the dorms at the college most of the time.

We scouted out hotels near the area (within an hour) as we would be there for 5 nights. It was the week of July 4th, so prices were inflated, not to mention it was very near to Hershey Park Amusement Park. So, we had a double whamee with this particular trip.

I found the Marriott Courtyard which seemed to be located in a residential setting away from the "hubbub" of congestion. We could not have been happier with this hotel. It was EXACTLY as protrayed on the internet.

Across from it was a quaint mainly outdoor mall with a separate Wegman's grocery in the square. This would come in particularly handy since the room was equipped with a modern kitchenette with all the extras. Plates, silverware, pans were included along with fridge, stove, microwave, and coffeepot. The living room was also spacious with flat screen tv. The bedroom was separated by a door...yay and the bed was comfortable! The staff were ALWAYS helpful and friendly. The free continental was the typical type you would expect and they offered scrambled (powder) eggs and 1 meat.

I would definitely go back if we need to stay near Hershey Park again. It was also close to the Baltimore harbor area, which was a rain out on the day we decided to go. We did not use the pool or excercise room, but they both looked nice and were depicted properly in the photos. The FREE wireless internet came in handy as well.

Normally, I can find something "bad" or "subpar" to say about a hotel stay, but I was extremely satisfied with this stay.

Room Tip: When I book, I always ask for a room away from the elevator, upper floor and ice machine vending are...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LKyle221, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hello Mr. dlblevins,
Thank you for such a glowing report about Marriott International. I am happy you enjoyed the Hunt Valley area while you were here. I believe you were at our sister property only 5 blocks away from our location. However, we would love the opportunity to have you as our guest the next time you are in the area.
Tipp City, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I know that Courtyards are geared toward business travelers, but we have always enjoyed the atmosphere and design of Courtyards for family vacations.

We recently stayed at this Courtyard on a family vacation. The design of the sink being outside of the toilet/shower room works great, especially for families/multiple people in the room. The room was very comfortable and the beds comfortable and clean.

I did not give 5 stars/Excellent rating for 1 reason and it is a corporate one (other Courtyards have it): the lack of the free breakfast and the inclusion of a "Bistro" where you must pay for everything. Coffee is now Starbucks--you must go to your room for a "free" cup of coffee. Considering that we are already paying a premium for a Courtyard room, the removal of the free breakfast stings. It is a tacked-on extra expense that must be included in your planning. I felt sorry for families I saw paying for the breakfast. I wondered if they had planned on that expense.

And the food was lousy--not as good as the "free breakfast" used to be.

The remodeled lobby was very modern and the plants/grass they used for decorations there and in the Bistro made me think they had been brought from the planet Zenon. (Who has orange grass?!) What a contrast to the lobby with a free cup of coffee on arrival and a relaxing, homey feel and a free breakfast!

Otherwise, the staff was friendly and helpful. Everything seemed clean and in working order. I would definitely stay here again, planning on the extra expense of breakfast somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LKyle221, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Hello TJD76,
Thank you for your comments about our hotel and the great staff acknowledgements. I agree that travel especially with children can easily add up. I am not sure if you were aware, but at times we do offer a weekend rate including breakfast for the family.
I sometimes assist the team in the Bistro and noticed, on the kids menu, the best bet is the French Toast. Depending on the children's age, one order is enough for two little ones--a tip passed on by a couple of moms.
When you return to the area, please reach out to us so we may further assist you. Again thank you for your time. Take care.
georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I checked in on 8/11/13 for a short business trip. Check in was fine, but I asked about local restaurants. I was in the mood for Greek, but the staff couldn't give me any recommendations. I said I would just google it. A few minutes later, after arriving to my room, I got a call from the front desk clerk that she had googled and found some Greek options for me in the area.

It turns out a great little Greek restaurant was less than 5 minutes away, Yasou Greek Bistro, and I had a great meal. I appreciated the clerk's interest in my needs and she went above and beyond in looking up the restaurant and bringing the info to me in my room.

The room itself looks like every other Courtyard. It was clean and free of odors. With Courtyard's physical appearance being the same wherever you go, what makes the difference is staff who stand out for customer service. I really appreciated the kindness here!

Also, the location was convenient. The hotel is right off interstate 83 and across from a large shopping area with various chain restaurants including Chipotle, Carrabbas, etc. The shopping center contains a Barnes and Noble, Dicks, Sears, and other retailers. It would be a good place to kill some time and is less than 3 minutes from the hotel and walking distance if you're a good walker.

Chick fil a, McDonalds, and Burger King are also close by, along with gas stations, etc. It seems to be a quiet area despite the convenience of so many restaurants/shopping.

Odds are, I won't be back in this area, but if so, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms 150, 250 etc are right by the elevators if you park on the right side of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ms. Iocalala,
Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and service here at the Courtyard Hunt Valley. I hope "odds are" you do return to the area because I would love to thank you in person and meet you face to face. It will give me great pleasure in recognizing the associates for a job excellently done.
Wishing you have many wonderful travels.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

For a courtyard this was surprisingly good. The room was very clean and well-appointed, and the staff was uniformly pleasant and helpful. They took great pride in the hotel and did everything possible to make me feel welcome. For a business trip to Hunt Valley it was an excellent choice. Not opulent but very satisfactory.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LKyle221, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Good Afternoon Marc F,
Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and hotel. It will be my pleasure to share your review with the team. They work very hard to take care of each guest and I am glad you felt that way when you were here. I hope next time you are in, we have a chance to meet each other.
Warm regards,
L. Kyle
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I used to gravitate towards Courtyard because of brand loyalty. After four visits to the Hunt Valley / Baltimore hotel I have changed my mind. The brand has been placed in the hands of a staff that is not prepared for the task.

Let me begin with Wendy the front desk attendant. I called and asked for a one half hour extended checkout on a Sunday afternoon. She not only said a very blunt "No!" but she repeated it, "No, no, no, NO!" We have already reached our limit of late check out, NO!
I was fearful that someone had a weapon to her back while we talked. Poor poor woman.

Go across the lobby to the bar/ deli. First if the prices wont kill your visit, then the young lady at the service counter will. With a flat personality, a depressing personal presence and a listless response to your food or drink request you won't be coming back.

The evening/ night clerk was as useless as anyone I could write about in my dreams. I called and informed him my sink was running slow and filling up. He came over, crawled under the sink, shook the pipe and said nothing then left. That was it. Nothing more..Nothing said, Nothing done.

Today, I called at 3:20 p.m. to speak to a manager. Ashley put me on hold and Im still on hold at 3:37. Its so disappointing that its almost comical.

The bright spot is the housekeeping lady. An african american, stout, 30 something. Charming to the core. Friendly. All that a hotel staff person should be. I wish I had noted her name. Chaaaaarming.

So, all I can say is Mariott team you have you work cut out for you. The brand image is the hands of folks who are not up to the task. The prices in the deli are killer. The staff needs to go back to school Get housekeeping to teach the manager and front desk how to run this place.

I

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LKyle221, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hello Dennis,
Thank you for taking the time to speak to me in person today. Your information is most valuable for us to “do better and become the best,” (paraphrasing a bit of our conversation). Your willingness to assist us in improving the team and observations are appreciated. I will communicate your ideas and comments to the respective persons within our team and use in our training. I am grateful for your mention of our housekeeper. I ensure you that she will be recognized for her service expertise. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance to you when in the Hunt Valley area.
Safe journeys,
L. Kyle

Travelers are raving about these Hunt Valley hotels

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley? Share your experiences!