“Sound of America Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hunt Valley
Proctorville, Ohio
“Sound of America Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Our son was accepted into the Sound of America Honor band and chorus which involved him staying several days at Elizabethtown College and then embarking on a 17 day trip to Europe. He would stay in the dorms at the college most of the time.

We scouted out hotels near the area (within an hour) as we would be there for 5 nights. It was the week of July 4th, so prices were inflated, not to mention it was very near to Hershey Park Amusement Park. So, we had a double whamee with this particular trip.

I found the Marriott Courtyard which seemed to be located in a residential setting away from the "hubbub" of congestion. We could not have been happier with this hotel. It was EXACTLY as protrayed on the internet.

Across from it was a quaint mainly outdoor mall with a separate Wegman's grocery in the square. This would come in particularly handy since the room was equipped with a modern kitchenette with all the extras. Plates, silverware, pans were included along with fridge, stove, microwave, and coffeepot. The living room was also spacious with flat screen tv. The bedroom was separated by a door...yay and the bed was comfortable! The staff were ALWAYS helpful and friendly. The free continental was the typical type you would expect and they offered scrambled (powder) eggs and 1 meat.

I would definitely go back if we need to stay near Hershey Park again. It was also close to the Baltimore harbor area, which was a rain out on the day we decided to go. We did not use the pool or excercise room, but they both looked nice and were depicted properly in the photos. The FREE wireless internet came in handy as well.

Normally, I can find something "bad" or "subpar" to say about a hotel stay, but I was extremely satisfied with this stay.

Room Tip: When I book, I always ask for a room away from the elevator, upper floor and ice machine vending are...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LKyle221, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hello Mr. dlblevins,
Thank you for such a glowing report about Marriott International. I am happy you enjoyed the Hunt Valley area while you were here. I believe you were at our sister property only 5 blocks away from our location. However, we would love the opportunity to have you as our guest the next time you are in the area.
LKyle221

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Tipp City, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I know that Courtyards are geared toward business travelers, but we have always enjoyed the atmosphere and design of Courtyards for family vacations.

We recently stayed at this Courtyard on a family vacation. The design of the sink being outside of the toilet/shower room works great, especially for families/multiple people in the room. The room was very comfortable and the beds comfortable and clean.

I did not give 5 stars/Excellent rating for 1 reason and it is a corporate one (other Courtyards have it): the lack of the free breakfast and the inclusion of a "Bistro" where you must pay for everything. Coffee is now Starbucks--you must go to your room for a "free" cup of coffee. Considering that we are already paying a premium for a Courtyard room, the removal of the free breakfast stings. It is a tacked-on extra expense that must be included in your planning. I felt sorry for families I saw paying for the breakfast. I wondered if they had planned on that expense.

And the food was lousy--not as good as the "free breakfast" used to be.

The remodeled lobby was very modern and the plants/grass they used for decorations there and in the Bistro made me think they had been brought from the planet Zenon. (Who has orange grass?!) What a contrast to the lobby with a free cup of coffee on arrival and a relaxing, homey feel and a free breakfast!

Otherwise, the staff was friendly and helpful. Everything seemed clean and in working order. I would definitely stay here again, planning on the extra expense of breakfast somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LKyle221, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Hello TJD76,
Thank you for your comments about our hotel and the great staff acknowledgements. I agree that travel especially with children can easily add up. I am not sure if you were aware, but at times we do offer a weekend rate including breakfast for the family.
I sometimes assist the team in the Bistro and noticed, on the kids menu, the best bet is the French Toast. Depending on the children's age, one order is enough for two little ones--a tip passed on by a couple of moms.
When you return to the area, please reach out to us so we may further assist you. Again thank you for your time. Take care.
georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I checked in on 8/11/13 for a short business trip. Check in was fine, but I asked about local restaurants. I was in the mood for Greek, but the staff couldn't give me any recommendations. I said I would just google it. A few minutes later, after arriving to my room, I got a call from the front desk clerk that she had googled and found some Greek options for me in the area.

It turns out a great little Greek restaurant was less than 5 minutes away, Yasou Greek Bistro, and I had a great meal. I appreciated the clerk's interest in my needs and she went above and beyond in looking up the restaurant and bringing the info to me in my room.

The room itself looks like every other Courtyard. It was clean and free of odors. With Courtyard's physical appearance being the same wherever you go, what makes the difference is staff who stand out for customer service. I really appreciated the kindness here!

Also, the location was convenient. The hotel is right off interstate 83 and across from a large shopping area with various chain restaurants including Chipotle, Carrabbas, etc. The shopping center contains a Barnes and Noble, Dicks, Sears, and other retailers. It would be a good place to kill some time and is less than 3 minutes from the hotel and walking distance if you're a good walker.

Chick fil a, McDonalds, and Burger King are also close by, along with gas stations, etc. It seems to be a quiet area despite the convenience of so many restaurants/shopping.

Odds are, I won't be back in this area, but if so, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms 150, 250 etc are right by the elevators if you park on the right side of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ms. Iocalala,
Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and service here at the Courtyard Hunt Valley. I hope "odds are" you do return to the area because I would love to thank you in person and meet you face to face. It will give me great pleasure in recognizing the associates for a job excellently done.
Wishing you have many wonderful travels.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

For a courtyard this was surprisingly good. The room was very clean and well-appointed, and the staff was uniformly pleasant and helpful. They took great pride in the hotel and did everything possible to make me feel welcome. For a business trip to Hunt Valley it was an excellent choice. Not opulent but very satisfactory.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LKyle221, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Good Afternoon Marc F,
Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and hotel. It will be my pleasure to share your review with the team. They work very hard to take care of each guest and I am glad you felt that way when you were here. I hope next time you are in, we have a chance to meet each other.
Warm regards,
L. Kyle
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I used to gravitate towards Courtyard because of brand loyalty. After four visits to the Hunt Valley / Baltimore hotel I have changed my mind. The brand has been placed in the hands of a staff that is not prepared for the task.

Let me begin with Wendy the front desk attendant. I called and asked for a one half hour extended checkout on a Sunday afternoon. She not only said a very blunt "No!" but she repeated it, "No, no, no, NO!" We have already reached our limit of late check out, NO!
I was fearful that someone had a weapon to her back while we talked. Poor poor woman.

Go across the lobby to the bar/ deli. First if the prices wont kill your visit, then the young lady at the service counter will. With a flat personality, a depressing personal presence and a listless response to your food or drink request you won't be coming back.

The evening/ night clerk was as useless as anyone I could write about in my dreams. I called and informed him my sink was running slow and filling up. He came over, crawled under the sink, shook the pipe and said nothing then left. That was it. Nothing more..Nothing said, Nothing done.

Today, I called at 3:20 p.m. to speak to a manager. Ashley put me on hold and Im still on hold at 3:37. Its so disappointing that its almost comical.

The bright spot is the housekeeping lady. An african american, stout, 30 something. Charming to the core. Friendly. All that a hotel staff person should be. I wish I had noted her name. Chaaaaarming.

So, all I can say is Mariott team you have you work cut out for you. The brand image is the hands of folks who are not up to the task. The prices in the deli are killer. The staff needs to go back to school Get housekeeping to teach the manager and front desk how to run this place.

I

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LKyle221, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hello Dennis,
Thank you for taking the time to speak to me in person today. Your information is most valuable for us to “do better and become the best,” (paraphrasing a bit of our conversation). Your willingness to assist us in improving the team and observations are appreciated. I will communicate your ideas and comments to the respective persons within our team and use in our training. I am grateful for your mention of our housekeeper. I ensure you that she will be recognized for her service expertise. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance to you when in the Hunt Valley area.
Safe journeys,
L. Kyle

Travelers are raving about these Hunt Valley hotels

Highland Lakes, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have come to expect quite a bit from Marriott hotels and this hotel was "ok." I booked a room with two queens and after checking in we went to the room and found one queen and a pull out couch. After going back to the desk we were given a room with two double which I was told I need to pay more for.

Pros - Incredibly polite staff, very clean room. Hats off to the staff who was always working hard when I saw them. Starbucks and cafe, with a limited menu, right in hotel lobby. There are PLENTY of restaurants and shopping very close by, but you will need a car to get to them or go on a long walk.

Cons - The AC in the room never seem to get cool enough. When we checked in we learned that the pool heater was broken and the hot tub was not working. This was a HUGE disappointment because my son was playing in a lacrosse tournament all weekend and was hoping to soak in the hot tub after his games. The bathroom door would stick, which wasn't an issue unless someone used it in the middle of the night and made a very loud noise to close it. Water pressure in the shower was not very good.

Overall the stay was pleasurable, but it seems like the little details I have come accustomed to expect from Marriott's were missing.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room. The balconies over look a beautiful courtyard and have chairs to sit on th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hello Mr. Brian,

I appreciate that you took your time to give us your valuable feedback. I am happy to report that our pool is under renovation and will soon be newly resurfaced so our guests can relax and enjoy. (Scheduled opening is October 10, 2013.) The whirlpool however, to be compliant with the ADA law is gone. Just like you, we enjoy the patio area in the Courtyard, especially since the WIFI is available there as well. On beautiful days I usually have extra reasons to walk through there on my rounds.
Thank you for recognizing my associates. I will make sure they are aware of your gracious comments.
When you return please introduce yourself, I would love to meet you.
Good Luck in your games.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

The Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley is unremarkable at best. I stayed here for 2 nights (May 14-15) while in town for business. The hotel has no outstanding or truly memorable features; rather, it is merely adequate and functional for a short stay.
I stayed in a room with a King-sized bed. The bed was comfortable and I slept well during my stay. The flat-screen TV in my room was positioned at a 90-degree angle to the bed, which made it awkward to view. The room itself was fine, but I found the bathroom to be out-dated with old tiles and in need of a paint job. The towels were also thin and worn. The room was clean.
The common areas of the hotel also need updating. The hall carpets looked tired and the overall interior of the hotel just seemed a tad dingy and musty. With the exception of the lobby, which was small but recently renovated. Overall, the Courtyard by Marriott was okay for a short stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
LKyle221, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hello J_M_S_Toronto,
We appreciate your feedback.
Firstly, I want to let you know we just received cases of new towels!
Next, you are correct; we are a classic Courtyard property. Yet, in addition to the Lobby/Bistro area the hallways and public spaces were renovated this year. I will share your comments to ensure we pay attention to their upkeep. As Courtyard associates, we will strive for excellent service that will make your next Hunt Valley experience truly memorable and become remarkable. Again thank you for your time and attention.
Lastly, travel tip for our property: The Queen/Queen room has the flat screen TV at the foot of the beds.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley? Share your experiences!