“Surprisingly good” 3 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Hunt Valley
“Surprisingly good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

For a courtyard this was surprisingly good. The room was very clean and well-appointed, and the staff was uniformly pleasant and helpful. They took great pride in the hotel and did everything possible to make me feel welcome. For a business trip to Hunt Valley it was an excellent choice. Not opulent but very satisfactory.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LKyle221, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Good Afternoon Marc F,
Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and hotel. It will be my pleasure to share your review with the team. They work very hard to take care of each guest and I am glad you felt that way when you were here. I hope next time you are in, we have a chance to meet each other.
Warm regards,
L. Kyle

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I used to gravitate towards Courtyard because of brand loyalty. After four visits to the Hunt Valley / Baltimore hotel I have changed my mind. The brand has been placed in the hands of a staff that is not prepared for the task.

Let me begin with Wendy the front desk attendant. I called and asked for a one half hour extended checkout on a Sunday afternoon. She not only said a very blunt "No!" but she repeated it, "No, no, no, NO!" We have already reached our limit of late check out, NO!
I was fearful that someone had a weapon to her back while we talked. Poor poor woman.

Go across the lobby to the bar/ deli. First if the prices wont kill your visit, then the young lady at the service counter will. With a flat personality, a depressing personal presence and a listless response to your food or drink request you won't be coming back.

The evening/ night clerk was as useless as anyone I could write about in my dreams. I called and informed him my sink was running slow and filling up. He came over, crawled under the sink, shook the pipe and said nothing then left. That was it. Nothing more..Nothing said, Nothing done.

Today, I called at 3:20 p.m. to speak to a manager. Ashley put me on hold and Im still on hold at 3:37. Its so disappointing that its almost comical.

The bright spot is the housekeeping lady. An african american, stout, 30 something. Charming to the core. Friendly. All that a hotel staff person should be. I wish I had noted her name. Chaaaaarming.

So, all I can say is Mariott team you have you work cut out for you. The brand image is the hands of folks who are not up to the task. The prices in the deli are killer. The staff needs to go back to school Get housekeeping to teach the manager and front desk how to run this place.

I

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LKyle221, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hello Dennis,
Thank you for taking the time to speak to me in person today. Your information is most valuable for us to “do better and become the best,” (paraphrasing a bit of our conversation). Your willingness to assist us in improving the team and observations are appreciated. I will communicate your ideas and comments to the respective persons within our team and use in our training. I am grateful for your mention of our housekeeper. I ensure you that she will be recognized for her service expertise. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance to you when in the Hunt Valley area.
Safe journeys,
L. Kyle

Travelers are raving about these Hunt Valley hotels

Highland Lakes, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have come to expect quite a bit from Marriott hotels and this hotel was "ok." I booked a room with two queens and after checking in we went to the room and found one queen and a pull out couch. After going back to the desk we were given a room with two double which I was told I need to pay more for.

Pros - Incredibly polite staff, very clean room. Hats off to the staff who was always working hard when I saw them. Starbucks and cafe, with a limited menu, right in hotel lobby. There are PLENTY of restaurants and shopping very close by, but you will need a car to get to them or go on a long walk.

Cons - The AC in the room never seem to get cool enough. When we checked in we learned that the pool heater was broken and the hot tub was not working. This was a HUGE disappointment because my son was playing in a lacrosse tournament all weekend and was hoping to soak in the hot tub after his games. The bathroom door would stick, which wasn't an issue unless someone used it in the middle of the night and made a very loud noise to close it. Water pressure in the shower was not very good.

Overall the stay was pleasurable, but it seems like the little details I have come accustomed to expect from Marriott's were missing.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room. The balconies over look a beautiful courtyard and have chairs to sit on th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
LKyle221, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Hello Mr. Brian,

I appreciate that you took your time to give us your valuable feedback. I am happy to report that our pool is under renovation and will soon be newly resurfaced so our guests can relax and enjoy. (Scheduled opening is October 10, 2013.) The whirlpool however, to be compliant with the ADA law is gone. Just like you, we enjoy the patio area in the Courtyard, especially since the WIFI is available there as well. On beautiful days I usually have extra reasons to walk through there on my rounds.
Thank you for recognizing my associates. I will make sure they are aware of your gracious comments.
When you return please introduce yourself, I would love to meet you.
Good Luck in your games.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

The Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley is unremarkable at best. I stayed here for 2 nights (May 14-15) while in town for business. The hotel has no outstanding or truly memorable features; rather, it is merely adequate and functional for a short stay.
I stayed in a room with a King-sized bed. The bed was comfortable and I slept well during my stay. The flat-screen TV in my room was positioned at a 90-degree angle to the bed, which made it awkward to view. The room itself was fine, but I found the bathroom to be out-dated with old tiles and in need of a paint job. The towels were also thin and worn. The room was clean.
The common areas of the hotel also need updating. The hall carpets looked tired and the overall interior of the hotel just seemed a tad dingy and musty. With the exception of the lobby, which was small but recently renovated. Overall, the Courtyard by Marriott was okay for a short stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
LKyle221, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hello J_M_S_Toronto,
We appreciate your feedback.
Firstly, I want to let you know we just received cases of new towels!
Next, you are correct; we are a classic Courtyard property. Yet, in addition to the Lobby/Bistro area the hallways and public spaces were renovated this year. I will share your comments to ensure we pay attention to their upkeep. As Courtyard associates, we will strive for excellent service that will make your next Hunt Valley experience truly memorable and become remarkable. Again thank you for your time and attention.
Lastly, travel tip for our property: The Queen/Queen room has the flat screen TV at the foot of the beds.
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Inconveniently located, $100 cab ride from airport ($40 supershuttle). room was fine. The so called Bistro has a limited menu and isn't open in the middle of the day. You have to hike to the nearby Embassy suites or to the mall to find a decent meal.
Pool and spa were out of commission.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
LKyle221, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hello Doclynn,
Your advice about having a car for this the area is very appropriate. I am sure your comments for other BWI/T. Marshal Airport arriving guests have been extremely helpful and effective for cost savings. In my own conversations I have let guests know of your experience.
We have resurfaced the pool, but we no longer have the whirlpool. Due to the Baltimore County regulation of a lifeguard at all times, the pool is opened specific hours only.
Even though our Bistro is closed for lunch, there are daily made Bistro items in the Market, next to the front desk area, for your convenience. You are correct about the Hunt Valley Towne Centre having many various options, both for restaurants and shopping. It is only a 3-4 blocks away, but when walking back it can be a hike, especially after a nice meal or buying those great deals. Also with a car you could take in more of the Greater Baltimore sites. I sincerely hope when you return we will have the opportunity to speak because we have some nice local restaurants you should visit.
Many happy journeys,
LKyle221
Westchester County, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had stayed at this Courtyard several years and found it very satisfactory. This time, one a quick overnight stay, it was average at best. The room was OK -- I had asked for a king bed but only two bedded rooms (queen-sized) were available, I much prefer the design of the king-bedded room.The beds were comfortable, and the room was not the problem although it could use some updating (and I agree that the towels were thin). First, there is no longer complimentary coffee in the lobby. I always found that a nice welcoming feature of Courtyards. Next, the restaurant has been redesigned. In this case, it meant ordering from the service bar, then having the food brought to a table where you wait with your order flag displayed. Coffee (Starbucks) is served in paper cup, not a mug. And there no longer seems to be a buffet option. Last, I found a long hair on my French toast. When I took it over to the service person at the food bar, it turned out the young man was the hotel manager. At first he did not seem to know what to do, but then he rallied to apologize and offer a refund. When I mentioned that my wife had ordered French toast, he seemed flustered until I pointed out that she had lost her appetite too. So he refunded both orders but not the cost of the tea my wife left behind or my coffee. I hope he realized he needed to head to the kitchen to make sure the cook had put on a hairnet. Since I had been told the hotel was nearly sold out, I was surprised that it was not better staffed and that the earnest young man who was the manager had not been trained to handle this sort of situation more smoothly. While I will continue to stay at Courtyards, I will not been using the Hunt Valley one again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LKyle221, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Good Afternoon Jack800,
I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your stay especially the faux pas with the French Toast. I do apologize. Please note that my staff and I have used your candid feedback to reiterate the importance of following the standard procedures plus have additional training. While the Bistro is still relatively new to us and we continue to learn, we understand that comfort and a great product is still most important to our valued guests. It is my sincere wish that you do return and find that we have made tremendous improvements. Thank you for your time and comments. Laura Kyle, General Manager
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Just fine - easy parking and proximity to strip mall with restaurants. Welcoming, clean, functional, gym, pool, WiFi, good fast breakfast service and usual Courtyard arrangments for food and snacks. Internally-facing rooms face directly onto others across a courtyard; balcony probably quite nice in summer. Room well-equipped, comfortable and well -equipped...except no room safes. Nothing otherwise to complain about, and really just does the job well without being memorable!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Good Day TheRollingM....
Thank you for your nice comments about the hotel and the area. It pleases me that you were satisfied with your stay while here. Just to let you know, we do have safety deposit boxes available at the front desk for your use, next time....
Have a wonderful day,
LKyle221

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Baltimore Hunt Valley? Share your experiences!