“Don't Stay Here During Warm Weather!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley

You added Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11200 York Rd, Hunt Valley, MD 21030 (Formerly Comfort Inn Hunt Valley)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hunt Valley
New York
“Don't Stay Here During Warm Weather!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

LOCATION

This hotel is located in Hunt Valley which is about 25 minutes (18 miles) north of Baltimore and 40 minutes (30 miles) north of BWI airport. It is on York road which does have plenty of shopping centers in the area. One of them you can walk to and has a few fast food places and a 7-11 that can come in handy for late night munchies. It is not immediately close to any highway, you have to drive about 5 minutes in either direction to get there. It is a safe area and you don’t have to worry about walking around at night.

ROOM, PRICE, CLEANLINESS and COMFORT

The price of the room was about $99 per night for a regular room with two (2) double beds. It was a special wedding rate and since most of the wedding travelers were staying there, we decided to also. We should have stayed elsewhere.

First of all, the room had the A/C set to 70 degrees when we checked in and it felt like 85 degrees. We adjusted to the A/C to be as cold as possible (60) to try and cool it quickly when we stepped out for the wedding rehearsal and dinner. Upon returning about 5 hours later, the room was only marginally cooler. I think it may have actually been around 72 degrees. We looked up that model A/C online and it is considered a “green” unit that does not let the compressor turn on for more than 5 minutes at a time. So you get 5 minutes of cold air, then it turns off for 5 minutes then turns on again, then off again 5 minutes later, so you only get a short burst of cool air for a short time. The room never gets to a comfortable level to sleep at and you will wake up periodically during the night with your pillow drenched in sweat.

As for the beds, they are not very comfortable. A bit too stiff for my liking although it was not the worst mattress I ever had. The pillows on the other hand were terrible. They seemed like they were overused and uneven. You are never able to get a good combination going. With the bad pillows and lack of A/C you don’t sleep comfortably at all.

The bathroom is the worst design I have ever seen. It was about the size of a closet and everything jammed together. The toilet was not secure and when sitting it kept moving around since it was not secure to anything. Also, if you sit on the toilet, you can easily touch all four (4) walls. The sink had no room to hold anything, the toilet paper was in an odd spot and you practically had to stand in the tub to open the door to get out since the door opened oddly and took up half the bathroom. Horrendous design.

The good things in the room was that the hot water in the shower was good and the room had a mini fridge which kept things very cold.

BREAKFAST and OTHER AMENITIES

The breakfast at the hotel was not too bad. You have your usual items there and I enjoyed the American cheese omelets very much. There was egg omelets, sausage, cereal, pancakes (although it needed a repair that was not taken care of) bagels, muffins, etc.

The parking was free and deceptive. It didn’t seem like much but there is plenty of parking there. If you can’t get in the front lot I recommend going toward the back lot closest to the traffic light. They have a front lot, a back lot that is part of a parking garage, a side lot, and a second back lot by the traffic light which gives you access to the back double doors right near the elevator.

The vending machines were out of water and not replaced. The “business center” is only one computer in the front of the hotel and is annoying if you need it for a second and someone is there hogging it playing computer games.

I would have given this hotel 1 star except that the staff working the front desk are the nicest and most helpful people. Had to give a star to them because they are wonderful. There is no way I would ever stay at this hotel again. I have made many trips to the Hunt Valley area and will go back to my “go to” hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Albany NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I stay at a lot of HI Express properties. This one was a bit of a disappointment to us, even though we had a pretty good idea of what to expect. We knew we would have some noise from York Road, but a few of the other little things made this not our best stay in a HI Express.

First of all, this property used to be another hotel, so the standard amenities/sizes of facilities are a bit different that what is currently standard. The theme for this hotel for us was tiny.

We found the breakfast area nearly impossible to navigate. There were a lot of chairs and tables and if people were sitting in them it was difficult to move from one part of the room to another. At one point, I left our table in the back of the room to get something at the front. On my way back, I became trapped. There was no room to maneuver behind the people getting food (it was solid) and I couldn't get in between the people sitting at the tables. I looked at my husband and laughed. I eventually back tracked and went through a hallway to get back to our table.

The main issue with our stay was our room. We were placed in one of the end rooms. It was smaller than a Microtel room. There was literally no room to move in it. We had no chair or sofa (absolutely no room for this). We had a desk chair, but we used it to put our bags on it. You basically had to walk sideways between the desk chair and the bed. In order to safely occupy the room, it was best if one of us was on the bed. Two people standing in the room doing something was not ideal. The bathroom was also extremely tiny. I stored my toiletries on the TV stand in the main room.

The room also had that dampness that you sometimes get in a hotel. It was warm and humid during our stay and we had major issues getting the door to open. Cleanliness of the room was so-so.

A few other good/bad quirks of the room. They offered shampoo, conditioner, lotion and bath gel in the bath, which was very nice. Our hair dryer was an old wall unit that had been pulled from the wall and stuck under the sink. That was quite amusing, but it worked very well.

The noise was a bit bothersome, more so during the day than at night. We faced York Road and dealt with the annoying noise of vehicles driving over the metal cover for the drains/water line. We had family staying at the hotel facing the back and they also heard the dogs barking. There is a vet's office next door -- I'm assuming that's where that noise is coming from.

Check in was very pleasant and we ran across a few other employees that were very nice.

That evening, we checked into another HI Express near the airport and were very relieved to be back in a normal-sized room where we finally felt we had room to breathe.

Would we stay here again? Probably not. If we did, the price would have to be right and we would have to have a non-corner room. If you need a basic place to stay, this will serve you. If you're looking for something a bit more you might want to consider another option.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

The staff was polite and welcoming. The location is very accessible to major highways. The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel is well appointed and updated. Breakfast included scrambled eggs -not always offered! All in all, a good value.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
James S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Great to hear your comments. We appreciate your business and will continue working to make this a great hotel guest enjoy. Thank you
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I must say I had doubts before I went but they where quickly gone once I got to hotel. The staff was very helpful, they accommodated me and my family so comfortably. House keeping was a little slow but even they came through with flying colors. The main thing was that it was CLEAN which is so important. My family loved the fact that there was hot coffee and tea in the lobby at all times, the area was great all we needed was right there shopping, dining, entertainment. Amazing.

Room Tip: Great location
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Thank you. We really enjoyed your comments and appreciate your sharing them with everyone.
Portland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2015

We stayed here just one night and got a good night's sleep. The room and bathroom were really small, though. Smaller than any room I have ever had at a HIE. Everything was there -- including an armoire since there wasn't a closet -- it was just arranged very closely. And the bathroom was a bit of a challenge with limited counter space and careful positioning needed to close the door. It was all fine for one night but I think for a longer stay I would look into upgrading to a suite.

Also, we noticed a lot of dogs barking outside starting at about 8:00am, almost as if there were a dog kennel nearby. We were staying in the back of the property. Thankfully we were already awake but it was a bit surprising.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
James S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley, responded to this review, April 25, 2015
We appreciate the opportunity to have you visit with us and value your comments. Your comfort, care and security are important to us. Maintaining a well conditioned and clean facility is paramount to our mission here. The disturbance created by the barking of dogs is unique in that we do not allow animals and there are no kennels in the immediate area. We would certain enjoy having you return in the future when your travels bring you back to Hunt Valley.
Hyattsville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2015

I recently attended a conference in Hunt Valley, Maryland and debated for several days before settling on the Holiday Inn Express as my hotel location.I must say I was not disappointed! My reservation was on file when I arrived and the young lady at the desk was friendly and professional . I was placed in a nice room on the 7th floor that was clean and comfortable . My two day stay was pleasant and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Hunt Valley area. Good value, great service made an overall wonderful stay!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments concerning your most recent visit with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to your returning in the near future.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2015

The hallway was dirty and smelled poorly. The room was small and a poor value for the area we were in. It felt like bugs were crawling on me all night. Hence very little sleep. I will never stay at this location again. Jwarrington@ppclubricants.com

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Your comments are very important to us. Though we enjoy hearing the great thinks guest have to say about the hotel we appreciate hearing about what may not have gone well. We are committed to creating and maintaining our corridors to the same quality standards as the guest rooms and public spaces. Providing Free Complimentary Breakfast daily, along with free wireless internet access, USA Today News Paper, complimentary on site parking and free local phone calls, at very reasonable rates adds tremendous value for the guest who stay with us. We certainly would like the opportunity to have you return to the hotel and look forward to seeing you again in the future. If there is anything I can do to assist you, please feel free to contact me.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley? Share your experiences!