“I was pleased with this hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hunt Valley Inn, a Wyndham Grand Hotel

You added Hunt Valley Inn, a Wyndham Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Hunt Valley Inn, a Wyndham Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   245 Shawan Road, Hunt Valley, MD 21031-1007 (Formerly Hunt Valley Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hunt Valley
Arlington, Virginia
“I was pleased with this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Don't know why all the negative reviews. Front desk staff was efficient and friendly. My room was comfortable and clean. The water pressure in the shower was excellent, the lights by the bed were bright, the room was spacious and bed comfortable. Hot coffee in the lobby and in the rooms. Yes the place is a bit tired but the price is about 25% less than other hotels in the area. My only real complaint is that there is only one size pillow on the beds. Some people like high pillows, others like myself like thin ones. These were medium. Would be nice to have an option.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ryan D, Manager at Hunt Valley Inn, a Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback. We appricate your business and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is not without problems. The room was comfortable, but it had a damp odor. Everything just looks run down and tired. We were a group of about 200, and there were 1 or 2 weddings, but the dining room was closed both Friday and Saturday evenings. We ate in the much smaller Grill/bar where the food was awful and high-priced. Service was spotty.
Meeting room facilities were acceptable, and that part of our experience was very smooth.
I have stayed here when it was a Marriott, and the overall quality has certainly diminished. The room rate was fairly low, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2012
Shannon K, General Manager at Hunt Valley Inn, a Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Greetings,
Thank you for your valuable feedback and giving us the opportunity to correct the issues you have mentioned.
Clio, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Avoid at all costs if possible. We stayed at this hotel because the convention we were attending was being hosted here. Unfortunately, what I have listed is nothing compared to what happened to some of the other individuals that were in our group. I will leave it up to them to post their experiences at this hotel. When we booked the hotel, it was a Marriott. We were notified later that on July 1, 2012, the hotel would no longer be associated Marriott. The hotel assured the convention organizers that this change would not affect the registrations. I received an email from our event organizers to call and confirm our reservation. I called around July 7 to confirm our reservation. Instead of the $126 per night with breakfast cost I was quoted from the Marriott, I was informed the room was $149 without breakfast. After many calls to the hotel and speaking to a very unfriendly staff who promised to look into the situation and call me back, which, by the way they did not, I talked to Marriott for some help. Marriott customer service put me in contact with Sarah, the Group Coordinator at the Hunt Valley Inn. Sarah, in my opinion, is the only person there that is friendly, knows her job, and was pleasant to work with on this situation. Sarah, to my delight, was able to ensure that my reservation was correct and email me a confirmation I could present to the front desk to ensure no problems.
Check-in: We checked into the hotel that was pretty uneventful; however very, very slow. The only issue was there was only one bell person with the only cart. In other words, plan on carrying all of your stuff to your room by yourself.
The Room: Upon review of the hotel and room, I would guess that it is not a Marriott anymore based on Marriott’s standards. The rooms have flat screen televisions, which are nice. We had to request a refrigerator, even though it is clear that they were once located inside the dresser in the room. The beds were fine if only one person was sleeping in the bed. If there are two persons in the bed, the middle of the bed sinks in and it is very uncomfortable. The shower goes from scolding hot to freezing cold and then back to scolding hot the entire time you are in the shower. The vent by the shower is caked with dirt and the shower tiles had mildew on them. We returned after the first night and none of the rooms on our floor had fresh towels. The cleaning lady stated it would be 3:30 before towels would be available. We ended up calling the front desk to request towels 4:15. At 5:15 I placed a second call to the front desk and requested towels as we had a dinner function at the hotel at 6:00. Sometime after 6:00 housekeeping delivered two towels to our room. Did I mention there were three of us staying in the room? I called down a third time at 10:15 in the evening to request a third towel.
The Shuttle Service: There is a shuttle that is supposed to run every half hour from the hotel. I asked the front desk about what the shuttle looked like so I could watch for it. The individual working at the front desk could not tell me the color of the shuttle, whether it said Hunt Valley Inn on it, or anything about it. The reason he stated was that the shuttle was in an accident and they had a loaner for the time being and he knew nothing about it.
The Restaurant: The restaurant in the hotel was very good. The food was hot and tasty. The price was very reasonable. The waiter was awesome. Stayed on top of water and beverages during the meal and checked by often. Considering there was only a few other individuals in the restaurant, I expected the service to be good.
The Pool: No towels available at the pool. My 9 year old was informed by the lifeguard on duty that she was too young to swim in the inside pool and she had to use the outside pool. Glad it was not raining. She is a redhead with fair skin. It was 90 degrees and sunny outside. Even with SPF 100, good luck not getting burned.
Housekeeping: See towel comment above. After I called to get towels, there was a knock on the door. Figuring it was housekeeping with the towels, I answered it. The lady asked me if we were checking out today or tomorrow. I informed her that we were schedule to depart 4 days from now. The housekeeping lady asked my wife the same question earlier that day.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Greetings,

I sincerely apologize for the troubles you encountered. The transition period which began July 1st was challenging. We have addressed the issues and we will continue to make product improvements to enhance the guest experience.
Regards,
Shannon

Travelers are raving about these Hunt Valley hotels

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

This place is a dump! Do not stay here. Travelled here for business: One room for our group smelled like rotting garbage. Another room had wet carpet. Another room had ANTS in her bed! ANTS! This place is filthy, run down, dilapidated and smells. The carpets are stained and damp. The whole place smells. The food is mediocre at best and the restaurant service S-L-O-W. Not one place in this hotel looks decent. Chairs are torn and stained. Carpet looks awful. Stairs are broken. Yech!

Like the other reviewer said: Sleep in your car.

And go across the street to the shopping ctr and eat at Wegman's. The food is 200% better.

Room Tip: Do not stay in 1069. This is the rotting garbage room. 1072 had ants. If walking is a problem, check...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Greetings,

Thank you for your feedback. Upon investigation of your issues we have corrected a plumbling issue in the section of 1069. We have also contacted our pest control company to investigate and service the south wing of our building.

We will continue to improve our products and services to enhance the guest experience.

Edgemere, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

after arriving at hotel had to wait in lobby for a half hour while they looked for my reservation from expedia. while i was waiting there was 2 other guests that had trouble with their reservations. one guy made his reservation 2 weeks early and they mistakenly gave his room to someone else. and another ladys reservations also were not there. after they finally got the reservation straightened out the place looked nice at first sight until i noticed black fuzzy mold on the ceiling in the bathroom and the room was infested with stink bugs. the place really needs a better group of people running it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Shannon K, General Manager at Hunt Valley Inn, a Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Greetings,

I sincerely apolgize for your troubles with your reservations during check-in. I will follow up with the front office team to insure that we correct the issues you and your colleagues encountered.
I would also like to follow up on your room issues. Can you please provide me with the room number that you stayed in?

Regards
New york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

It is now the Hunt Valley Hotel . To be short and to the point it is not up to Marriot standards , I'm guessing that's why they are not affiliated any longer. This hotel is way to larger for me, it reminded me of a Hospital . The bed & pillows were to soft , the sheet nice. The A/C worked but not great. Shower and bathroom were fine , Room was clean ... I got a nice run in the Gym and did go in the pool but it could be cleaner . The staff were friendly but not very knowledgeable about a number of things . I would look else where but if stuck I would go back .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Greetings,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I will work directly with the team to improve their knowledge of the hotel and general area. Thank you for your business.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I've stayed at the Hunt Valley Inn twice now while in the area for business. My most recent stay being just last night. The rate that I've paid each stay ($84+ tax AAA rate) seems to be reasonable compared to other hotels in the area. Obviously the higher end hotels come with a higher price tag. For me the Hunt Valley Inn provides a clean, comfortable bed and a nice hot shower for an overnight stay so it's good enough for me. I agree with other reviews that have said the place could use a facelift although I'm sure higher rates will follow. The carpets are a bit aged but nothing like what you'd find in a lot of older hotel properties. The place is pretty expansive with an on-site restaurant/bar as well as a decent sized indoor pool, a social room (Cafe), and a workout room. There are many other conference rooms and such that I have yet to see for myself. The staff has been friendly and prompt with my check-in. The beds have been very soft and the bedding feels fresh with plenty of pillows! I've slept rather well both times that I've been there. I have no experience with dining at the hotel so there's no comment however there is a Wegmans grocery store across the street that I go to instead. If you've never been to a Wegmans, you must visit! I wish wish wish they would expand further south in to NC!

As I'd said before, don't expect this place to be an upscale convention center. With my experience however, the rate that rooms go for is very fair for this place. Until something catastrophic occurs with one of my stays, this place will be my new 'go to' hotel when in the Cockeysville area from now on.

Room Tip: I've slept on both the second and third floor with no noticeable difference between the two room...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We appriciate your positive comments and I look forward to meeting you in the future.

Regards.

Been to Hunt Valley Inn, a Wyndham Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!