“Please Pick somewhere else” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Victorian Candle

You added The Victorian Candle to your Saves list
The Victorian Candle
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   25065 Peregrine Way, Hollywood, MD 20636-2698   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hollywood B&B and Inns
Harrisonville, Pennsylvania
“Please Pick somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Please, please pick somewhere else. My Husband and I were looking for a quick getaway, and decided to stay at the Victorian Candle based on its reviews. WHAT A MISTAKE. To Start with we called ahead to see if they have anything available, we were told yes and that reservations would not be necessary. Upon arrival the front door was locked I knocked and called again the owner said he was there and 10 min. later came to the door. He then took me in to the dining room to fill out paper work. Up to this point things were going splendidly. He then took me in to the basement which was not clean hair and dirt on the steps ect., but the place was quite and it was mid day so I thought maybe the cleaning crew just hadn’t made it to the basement yet. He then took me to the room and showed me how to work the key pad door which he check twice to make sure it worked explaining that they change the lock codes once and month and that they were just changed. (Glad I came when I did, I was still concerned enough to use the dead bolt) At this point I inquired about breakfast and was told that it would be served in the dining room at 9:00 am , he asked if I had plans and I explained that we would need to be leaving at 10:30am to catch a charter boat. He stated that we would have plenty of time. When we got unpacked I wanted a shower to wash off the day at Calvert Cliffs Beach the shower had hairs in it, a large hole in the wall, did not drain well and did not get as hot as I would have liked. The toilet ran all night and had to be held to flush. The bed was stiff and there were hairs under the pillow. The hot tub was not filled with water. There was no ice to be found in the entire place. If you have a question there is no one there working to answer it. The next morning at 8:50 I made my way up stairs where a number of guessed were gathering in the dining room. My husband packed the car and moved it around front then joined us, at 9:15 there was still no food out so I walked to the kitchen and asked if it would be much longer. I was told it was coming out now. At 9:48 there was still no food to be seen and the owner brought out plates saying it would be a few more min. However we did not have a few more min and had to leave. I was upset to say the least but we had to leave or we would miss the boat. After getting home I wrote to the owner and have yet to receive any reply. Please pick one of the dozen other lovely B&B in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Annapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

My husband surprised me with a night away from our little ones and this was a perfect spot. Excellent hospitality and the breakfast was wonderful. A definite high recommendation!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chardon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Adorable bed and breakfast, very reasonable rates. The breakfast was very tasty and the owners made us feel very comfortable. Clean and well maintained. Worth every penny!!! Will stay here again and suggested it to other family members.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I stayed in the Victorian Candle during December 2011 and found it was a lovely place to stay. The host was very hospitable and friendly, the accomodation was very clean and comfortable and overall I enjoyed my stay. The breakfast offered was a great way to start the day.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Clinton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We discovered this wonderful place last year and returned this year because it was so friendly and quaint. The hosts Susan and Jim are so warm and congenial. If you enjoy eating, this is the place for you! Susan's excellent and creative cooking is a real high point. The very generous breakfast was delicious, very fresh and made to order. The rooms are lovely, clean and spacious. It was just perfect for our needs. We hope to return there next year when we visit southern Maryland. At The Victorian Candle, you have it all: great price/value, scrumptious food, friendly hosts, cozy rooms and wonderful local seafood restaurants.

Room Tip: Many amenities in every room.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

The Victorian Candle experience was first class! My husband and I celebrated our delayed honeymoon at the "VC" and it was outstanding! The moment we arrived we were greeted by the owners, Jim and Susan. They not only made us feel welcomed but right at home! We have not only recommended this B&B but look forward to our return visit.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I recently traveled with my family for a wedding in Southern Maryland. We occupied the entire bed and breakfast. Susan and Jim Dexter were most accommodating and the food was both tasty and plentiful. The owners were very happy to satisfy our needs during our stay. I would definitely recommend the Victorian Candle to those traveling in Southern Maryland.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Victorian Candle? Share your experiences!