“Fantastic location and wonderful host” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Cle D'Or Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havre de Grace
La Cle D'Or Guesthouse
226 N Union Ave, Havre de Grace, MD 21078   |
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic location and wonderful host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

A friend of mine and I met here for the weekend and stayed at Ron's beautiful home, the house was full of rich history, much of what we learned from Ron. The rooms are comfortable, clean and cozy. The breakfast is fabulous too. Ron made us feel very welcome and helped guide us to great locations throughout town. We would both love to stay here again! I highly recommend this B&B if you are planning a trip to Havre de Grace!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
lacledorguesthouse, Owner at La Cle D'Or Guesthouse, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our guesthouse. We appreciate the feedback and are glad that you both had a pleasurable time in Havre de Grace and at La Cle D'or. Pleased guests delight us. Thank you for choosing La Cle D'or Guesthouse for your reunion. We hope that we may serve you again sometime in the future with another "girls" weekend away.

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Edgewater, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ron was such a gracious host this past weekend. We stayed only one night, wished we could have stayed another. Beautiful little city and a fabulous B&B. Loved the room and all it's decorations. Very comfortable bed. The breakfast was awesome as well. Would highly recommend and we can't wait to stay again soon!

Room Tip: Loved the large room with sitting area and private bath
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
lacledorguesthouse, Owner at La Cle D'Or Guesthouse, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad you had a pleasurable stay and enjoyed the town of Havre de Grace. After all, that's our goal here at La Cle D'or Guesthouse. Best wishes to you always and we hope to serve you again in the future soon.
Newark, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Our stay at Le Cle D'or Guesthouse was nothing short of wonderful. The owner, Ron, was knowledgeable, charming, and a pleasure to be around. He made sure we knew of all the various things we could do, gave us directions to local landmarks, and made us feel like we were staying with a friend rather than with someone we’d only just met.

The breakfasts he made each morning were a feast for both the eyes and the palate. The coffee he served was perfection; there was always fresh fruit (pomegranate one morning!) and a cheese selection to compliment the main fare.

When I read the reviews before we arrived, I came across the ‘bedbug’ one. As someone who works in public housing I can tell you that what is described above was not a bedbug. If you know anything about them, you know that they are virtually impossible to see just ‘crawling around’ unless you have thousands of them, so I told my husband we should go anyway.

I’m glad I did. Upon arrival we checked the room thoroughly and there was not a trace of anything other than clean, fresh sheets, a comfortable unstained mattress (bedbugs, even after eradicated will leave their mark) and antique décor that made it clear how much work and pride he has put into this venue.

It was my very first time at a bed and breakfast, and it turned out to be such a positive experience for my husband and I that if we decide to go back we will most certainly stay there.

**Note: I really wish that people who have no knowledge of bedbugs would refrain from rushing to judgement. This can seriously injure someone's business. If I had been unknowledgeable as well, I might have stayed home and missed out on this trip because of some panicky person confusing a beetle for a bedbug. Do your homework, people.**

Room Tip: The Lafayette suite is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Edgewood, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I met an old friend who was in Havre de Grace, Maryland on August 12th. We stayed two nights at La Cle D'or Guesthouse. Our host, Ron, was very kind and helpful as we did not have reservations and we choose his B&B immediately as I have stayed there once before many years ago.
As a person in the travel industry, I enjoyed all of Ron's collections geared towards one of my interests. Reading the old menus from rail trips and viewing his massive antiques, made us both realize just how much we enjoyed staying there.
Ron also made a few wonderful suggestions for dining options in and around the area.
It was a great break from our normal routines and though there are several big named hotels near-by, staying here made us both feel at home.
I highly recommend La Cle D'or Guesthouse!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Prince Frederick, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My sister (visiting from Ohio) and I arrived and were greeted by the owner. He was very helpful checking in and providing information on restaurants and activities. He even checked the weather forecast as we were leaving for dinner and recommended an umbrella. The owner had a birthday card for my sister and cookies to snack when we arrived. The house is chocked full of antiques and collectibles.

However when we turned down the bed there was a bug (not a spider or mosquito or stinkbug as suggested by the owner). We informed the owner of the situation and that we were checking out. I requested a refund and was denied. The owner tried to say it was a baby stinkbug but being from Maryland I know stinkbugs and that was not it. I was pretty sure it was a bedbug and after getting home I checked on line and my suspicions were confirmed. The owner offered no apology. The owner said he could have rented it 10 fold and could not refund our money even though there seemed not to be any other guests.

Havre De Grace is a wonderful place to visit but I do not recommend this B&B.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
lacledorguesthouse, Owner at La Cle D'Or Guesthouse, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
we were sorry that this guest choose to cancel a weekend reservation when she claimed to have discovered a bug in her room. This tiny bug was not a bedbug as claimed by the guest; and she and her sister were told such from the start. We attempt to keep our rooms spotless and have been doing so for 16 years of business.We have been educated about bedbugs and how to prevent any infestations. With windows and doors being opened by guests, any of Havre de Grace's thousands of bug critters could enter unexpectedly. I showed this bug which was presented to me by the 2 sisters to an entomologist. I was encouraged that it was as suspected a baby form of the stinkbug now prevalent in most of the East Coast and Maryland. We were not able to rent the room again that Friday eve, since the sisters decided to leave about 9pm after having showered, used the restroom, eaten snacks,used the television,etc. For the reason that the room had been used and that the insect was not a threat, the women were charged for the room rental. We did refund their payment for Saturday evening fully despite our cancellation policy. We were not able to rent the room again that weekend so suffered a loss of revenue because of these women's actions. Their charges are cruel, unjustified, and incorrect. We are sorry they choose this medium to discredit La Cle D'or unjustifiably.
Paramus, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Ron's attention to detail was truly amazing and it made our stay (one night but memorable) very special. When I left behind a pillow at the inn, he phoned us and left a message and then drove 10 miles to bring it to us. A very caring person and it shows by how he treats his guests. The inn itself is filled with an eclectic variety of all kinds of objects - fascinating.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

You can experience Havre de Grace without leaving this pampering, plush, and lovingly created art-house of a B&B. Our host, Ron is an enormously knowledgeable and astonishingly talented collector and presenter of historic items that adorn this retreat. He is also delightful company. In short, he was born to own a B&B in a historic place. Indulge yourself at a reasonable price here.

The bedrooms are exceptionally comfortable places to lounge, linger and sleep. They are also replete with so many beautiful and interesting items that you could spend hours gazing at just one wall full of historic curiosities in each of the rooms, although we were partial to our cozy Lafayette suite. Outside, we walked the entire Lafayette Trail (3.5 miles) and learned much about Havre de Grace. Ron's collections and recollections, however, nicely augmented our promenade about town.

A unique aspect of La Cle d'Or is that so many of the lovingly collected items on display bear not only a classicly handwritten description of their provenance, but also . . . a price tag. It's curious at first, and not only because the prices are obvious bargains. Then we learned Ron owned an antiques shop, since sold, but he still pursues collecting -- actually, he can't stop -- and his offerings at low cost to his guests allow him to keep collecting and keep presenting newly discovered old treasures. Of course the artisanal chocolates, home-made cookies and sumptuous breakfast are much appreciated, but there is so much more here . . . La Cle d'Or, for my Paris-born wife and me, remains a memorable experience of historic Havre de Grace with an authentic French accent, well worth a return visit.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to La Cle D'Or Guesthouse? Share your experiences!