“Good Food & Value BUT Limited Lunch Menu” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 100 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Good Food & Value BUT Limited Lunch Menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

First, let me state up front that I am not an expert nor a seasoned connoisseur of Thai cuisine. I have had food from other Thai restaurants that seemed a little less greasy than the food I've gotten from Little Spice. Take the Pad Thai, for example; very tasty, generous lunch portion, and a decent price (around $8) but compared to other Pad Thai I've had, this one is greasier. Not that it's inedible or anything -just an observation.

My biggest gripe with this place is that they don't offer their full menu for lunch. Worse, they don't call attention to this fact on their menu (both printed and online). I could even somewhat understand it if I was trying to order something off the dinner menu and it wasn't available for lunch (although, again, that should be clearly spelled out on the menu) but there's a whole "Appetizers" section that I tried to order from and was still told that what I wanted was available for lunch. I pointed out to the woman on the phone that the Little Spice menu doesn't say anthing about the appetizers not being available for lunch and voiced my frustration with this hidden rule. That was two years ago.

Today (two years later) I decided to order something from Little Spice so I went online to their website and pulled up the menu. It had obviously been redone since the last time I had ordered. Still, I was happy to find a dish that I had tried at another Thai restaurant and fallen in love with: Yum Woon Sen! And it wasn't on the dinner menu but rather listed under Appetizers. I scoured the menu to see if there were any restrictions listed on what you could and couldn't order for lunch and I didn't see anything. No special symbol next to certain dishes to designate them as "lunch-only" or "dinner-only" items, and no special explanations or warnings about restrictions on lunch orders. I naturally assumed that they had changed their way of doing things since my last visit two years ago; otherwise, the menu would differenciate between lunch and dinner selections. Well, my assumptions were wrong. They still had the same unwritten rules about what you can and can't order for lunch. And that's how I ended up with greasy Pad Thai instead of Yum Woon Sen!

I just think they could avoid a whole lot of disappointed customers if they'd just spell out exactly what you can and can't order for lunch -or- just make everything on the menu available at all times! How hard is that?

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Baltimore
“Best Thai Food Around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We discovered this restaurant recently in a local strip mall area - don't be fooled by the surroundings - this place is great! We haven't had to wait for a seat yet and the food is amazing. Masaman curry with tofu is my favorite so far. You can substitute tofu for any meat product here so this is a great place for vegetarians! Definitely a place that we will be back to on a regular basis!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vicenza, Italy
“Good food, unreal quantity”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The curry was good, properly spiced, and excellent value, but the portion size was enough to feed the average Thai family. Because I have trouble pushing away excellent food, I probably ate too much...but well worth it.

Visited July 2012
Virginia
“Surprisingly good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Very happy with my meal. My pad Thai was really good, the price was right, the food was good, the service was good. The place is very small and the food is surprising very good. I would recommend this place for a quick lunch with friends, co-workers

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, Maryland
“Don't let location stop you from excellent Thai food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

As others have pointed out, this restaurant is located in a strip mall but it is a hidden gem with very good, authentic Thai food. You have to try the Tiger Sweep appetizer - charboiled beef tenders mixed with Thai herbs & spicy lime dressing.

• Visited July 2012